Sponsored by: DP Tuner

OK, first step on my Romp Romp fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 11:35 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rebelchevy02
Genereally occur with very cold starts, not enough time on the glow plugs.
I've got to respectfully disagree with you Rebel on the "time on the glow plugs"...I'm sure it has nothing to do with the length of time the glow plugs are run before starting and here is my evidence.

The first time my truck had the romps I checked the GPR and ohmed out the glowplugs...both GPR and glowplugs were good. I then discovered (through this forum) that the WTS (Wait to Start) light was in no way connected to the GPR, I installed a small, red LED which I connected to the glow plug relay. On cold mornings (sub zero) I wait for the LED to go out before I try to start. Now when I use to run 15-40W oil year-round, it would romp even after waiting for the glow plugs to run the entire cycle that the PCM was commanding. As soon as I went to 5-40W oil the romps stopped (even if I started the truck without letting glow plugs run their entire cycle and at subzero temps).

I'm inclined to think it is an oil flow/oil pressure problem which causes the romps. I've now rebuilt the IPR using the $16 seal kit from IH, but I will have to wait until next winter to test it. Next fall, I won't switch over to 5-40W oil, as I usually do. Then if it doesn't romp...it will point (if I understand the high pressure system correctly), to the oil pressure (high pressure side) as the primary culprit.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:58 AM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nlemerise
I've got to respectfully disagree with you Rebel on the "time on the glow plugs"...I'm sure it has nothing to do with the length of time the glow plugs are run before starting and here is my evidence.

The first time my truck had the romps I checked the GPR and ohmed out the glowplugs...both GPR and glowplugs were good. I then discovered (through this forum) that the WTS (Wait to Start) light was in no way connected to the GPR, I installed a small, red LED which I connected to the glow plug relay. On cold mornings (sub zero) I wait for the LED to go out before I try to start. Now when I use to run 15-40W oil year-round, it would romp even after waiting for the glow plugs to run the entire cycle that the PCM was commanding. As soon as I went to 5-40W oil the romps stopped (even if I started the truck without letting glow plugs run their entire cycle and at subzero temps).

I'm inclined to think it is an oil flow/oil pressure problem which causes the romps. I've now rebuilt the IPR using the $16 seal kit from IH, but I will have to wait until next winter to test it. Next fall, I won't switch over to 5-40W oil, as I usually do. Then if it doesn't romp...it will point (if I understand the high pressure system correctly), to the oil pressure (high pressure side) as the primary culprit.

No disrespect here . I think your probably right, and I edited my post. I know the WTS light has nothing to do with knowing if the GPs are on, (I have a similar indicator that lets me know) I guess when I said about the not enough glow plug time, that would be a result of a no start, and not a romp romp! As far as what you are saying, I believe that, and I also think Kwik has brought up a good point too, with it being a programming issue of the sort, or something of that nature. And this can be noticed, by stepping on the gas pedal during the romp romp to smooth out the idle. It doesnt revv up the engine, it actually brings it down to idle. Im sure if someone had AE and recorded what exactly happend during the romp romp, and what happend when they hit the throttle, it would tell us exactly what was going on.

Last edited by rebelchevy02; 11-29-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:22 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Hmm. All interesting observations. I just couldn't help but think GPR after jumping it on the coldest day thusfar and it cranked right up in the stock setting. Not a hint of romp.

I may just swap the AIH relay in there until the new one arrives and see what that does while we wait. I'll let ya know.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:23 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
I just figured out what one (per the wife there are several) of my problems are, I can't find this pedal in my diesel.

"You can usually make it dissapear while its happening by hitting the gas pedal."

Old 11-29-2007, 12:34 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I completing agree with you.. the oil (15w40) is what causes the romp romp.. anyway in my case.. My 99 has romped since it was new, even parked the truck in the warm garage at nite.. Switched to Shell syn 5w40 last year and the romping stopped. And to add to the proof, our local Ford dealer last week accidently changed my oil back to motorcraft 15w40 (went in just to get the steering lubed) and guess what... the engine is now romping again..!!

Old 11-29-2007, 12:37 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree, I think you're dead on, Neal. I can make my friend's 2000 7.3 with a manual transmission do the romps even when it's hot by starting in too high of a gear and lugging the engine down until it almost dies.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:10 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
While I was driving for the last little while I thought of something in retrospect to what I said earlier, I do remember curing my romp romps with a new gpr early last winter. Coincidence, maybe. But the more I think about it, the more I think its a combination of both glow plugs and oil system. Reason being romp romps have been cured before with just a GPR, and during romp romps you can hit the "gofast pedal" (thanks truckeemtnfords) haha it also smoothes them out.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:11 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by clux
I agree, I think you're dead on, Neal. I can make my friend's 2000 7.3 with a manual transmission do the romps even when it's hot by starting in too high of a gear and lugging the engine down until it almost dies.
Thats an interesting happening there.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:34 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by clintbonnie
I completing agree with you.. the oil (15w40) is what causes the romp romp.. anyway in my case.. My 99 has romped since it was new, even parked the truck in the warm garage at nite.. Switched to Shell syn 5w40 last year and the romping stopped. And to add to the proof, our local Ford dealer last week accidently changed my oil back to motorcraft 15w40 (went in just to get the steering lubed) and guess what... the engine is now romping again..!!
But, there is evidence that the IPR may also be involved. Someone posted earlier this month that they rebuilt the IPR and the romps went away with NO OTHER CHANGE TO THEIR TRUCK. I wish you (hint) could rebuild your IPR right now...with the 15-40W oil in it and see if that cures the romps. We need an experiment!!!

Old 11-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
But, there is evidence that the IPR may also be involved. Someone posted earlier this month that they rebuilt the IPR and the romps went away with NO OTHER CHANGE TO THEIR TRUCK. I wish you (hint) could rebuild your IPR right now...with the 15-40W oil in it and see if that cures the romps. We need an experiment!!!
Well Neal, I need a good GPR before I move to the next step. If that fixes it, I am done. So unlessl someone else beats me to it, I may be looking at this soon. What was that international part # again?

Old 11-29-2007, 02:18 PM
TurtleRacing
PSD Addict

I found out yesterday to my surprise about the WTS light, I guess I assumed when it went out, it was time. My question is, Where did you get the small LED and did you have to reduce the volts going to the LED from the GPR?

Old 11-29-2007, 02:47 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
Well Neal, I need a good GPR before I move to the next step. If that fixes it, I am done. So unlessl someone else beats me to it, I may be looking at this soon. What was that international part # again?
Here is the link to the thread with the IH part#

Old 11-29-2007, 02:52 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by TurtleRacing
I found out yesterday to my surprise about the WTS light, I guess I assumed when it went out, it was time. My question is, Where did you get the small LED and did you have to reduce the volts going to the LED from the GPR?
I got it from Radio Shack and it is a 12 volt LED...just wire it in...10 minutes to do. I soldered the hot wire to a washer, that would slip onto the cold side of the relay cable post. Then remove the nut, slip the washer with the wire on it, then replace the nut. Just connect the other wire to a handy ground under the dash. I put the LED in my pillar gauge pod, but it would be easier to install just above the fuse door under the steering wheel, near the little dashboard cubbie.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:04 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
darn double posts !

Last edited by nlemerise; 11-29-2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:34 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by homesteader
What does the Romp Romp sound like ?
Like a gasser with the largest duration cam you have ever seen... Like one whole side of the engine fires ROMP....... and then the other fires ROMP..... there is usually a 1/2 to 1 second delay between ROMPS.

Quick Reply: OK, first step on my Romp Romp fix