ignition/fuel nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:20 PM
slimtim86
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ignition/fuel nightmare

So I just got done rebuilding the carborator (2 bbl holly) off of my 292 ('60 f-250). While the carb was off I also changed my plugs, wires, points, rotor, cap, coil, and vacuum advance. Now that I have put it all back together it won't start. With my foot off of the gas it just turns over and nothing else. With foot on the gas or spraying some starting fluid into the throttle body it starts to cough out of the carb. I am almost positive that all of my ignition wires are hooked up in the correct fireing order (15486372) and my spark is good. I'm at a loss because it ran fine before this minus some carb issues. Any words of wisdom?

Old 11-29-2007, 01:35 PM
RCA78SS
Freshman User
Tim:
I would re-check the point gap (.015") and make sure the wires in the cap are in the right place. They go counter clockwise on the cap.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:05 PM
Hurk
New User
Wow I am having the same problem. The guyed who owned my truck before said he had the truck runner good. When i replaced all the stuff you said it doesn't start and still isn't. I wish I could help you here. If I could get my started I will try to post something.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:38 PM
slimtim86
Freshman User
I figured out what my problem was. Who ever owned the truck before I did not time the truck properly. When I but cylinder 1 at TDC my rotor was pointing to cylinder 4. I did not pay attention when I had pulled the old wires off, but must have compensated for the wrong distributer position by just rotating the wires three slots over.

Hurk: try taking your cylinder 1 spark plug out, stick a screwdriver in the hole and rotate the crank with a ratchet until the piston taps the screwdriver (TDC), and see where your rotor ends up.

...my point gap is .016"