Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-Atlantic Region > New York Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

New York Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: tiny1

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-15-2007, 10:49 PM
New User

dennisg is starting off with a positive reputation.
Power door lock relay help

HI All, I have been reading different posts of this forum, and it sounds like you have a good group of friendly, helpfull people here. I hope that I will be able to add to it, from time to time.
MY problem is this. I have a 1999 F250SD, 7.3 Diesel, the power door locks only lock, they will not un-lock, I here a slight noise from the bolth actuators, but nothing happens. It does not matter if I use the button on the drivers door , passenger door, or the key fob, for the alarm, the result is the same.
I think that the door lock/un-lock realy is getting tired. I purchased a new one from ford, but they were not able, (unwillijng) to tell me where it is located in the truck. I do not have access to a shop manual. the owners manual does not list it. can anyone help???
Thanks, Dennis
Old 11-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Posting Guru

Ronin007 has a great reputation on FTE.Ronin007 has a great reputation on FTE.Ronin007 has a great reputation on FTE.Ronin007 has a great reputation on FTE.Ronin007 has a great reputation on FTE.
Hey Dennis. Welcome to the NY Chapter forum. To answer your post check out this thread:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/44...cks-fixed.html

It has gotten huge (15 pages), but there is a lot of great information in there. It should answer any questions you have.

BTW, why don't you join the NY Chapter being that you are already here. Follow the link in my signature.

See you around the board!!
Old 11-17-2007, 06:35 PM
New User

Hi Darren

, I have read through all the threads of the link you provided, and nowhere does anyone mention anythiong about the realy that controls the power door locks. I tell you that I need to replace it. If you, or anyone else knows where it is located, please tell me.
Thanks, Dennis
Old 11-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Post Fiend

tewferford has a brilliant futuretewferford has a brilliant futuretewferford has a brilliant futuretewferford has a brilliant futuretewferford has a brilliant futuretewferford has a brilliant futuretewferford has a brilliant futuretewferford has a brilliant futuretewferford has a brilliant futuretewferford has a brilliant futuretewferford has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisg
Hi Darren

, I have read through all the threads of the link you provided, and nowhere does anyone mention anythiong about the realy that controls the power door locks. I tell you that I need to replace it. If you, or anyone else knows where it is located, please tell me.
Thanks, Dennis
This may sound crazy but, did you try the autozone website. They have a online manual for locating parts on a vehicle.

Chances are,If you bought it, A truck brought it.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:53 PM
New User

Hi, nothing sounds crazy, thanks for the tip, I will give it a try, and let you know.

Dennis
Old 11-17-2007, 07:05 PM
New User

HI, I just look on Autozone web site, they have the realy, but do not tell you where it is in the truck. It was worth a shot, thanks for the tip.

Dennis
Old 11-17-2007, 07:36 PM
Post Fiend

tewferford has a brilliant futuretewferford has a brilliant futuretewferford has a brilliant futuretewferford has a brilliant futuretewferford has a brilliant futuretewferford has a brilliant futuretewferford has a brilliant futuretewferford has a brilliant futuretewferford has a brilliant futuretewferford has a brilliant futuretewferford has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisg
HI, I just look on Autozone web site, they have the realy, but do not tell you where it is in the truck. It was worth a shot, thanks for the tip.

Dennis
I'm sucking beers down now but, I will look tomorrow. I'll find it for ya.

Chances are,If you bought it, A truck brought it.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:09 PM
Senior User

britt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dennis i have a 00 sd v-10. i had to replace the lock actuators on my truck last year one wouldnt work at all. i changed them all out to be on safe side , you need to get the actuators from the dealer so they match up, i looked at some aftermarket actuators but they did not match up.. you need to pull the door panel off to get to it the old one snaps out you plug the new one in and plug it in. i think it is located next to the latch on the door -- match up the left side and the right side-- the switches are made for the left and right sides. hope this helps--good luck - britt
Old 11-17-2007, 09:58 PM
Posting Guru

Ronin007 has a great reputation on FTE.Ronin007 has a great reputation on FTE.Ronin007 has a great reputation on FTE.Ronin007 has a great reputation on FTE.Ronin007 has a great reputation on FTE.
Dennis - so is it the actuators or the relays that are bad?

Whenever I have heard of the SD locks not working it was due to the actuators so that was why I directed you to that thread. Sorry if it was not the correct information for you. Sounds like Frank or britt have you covered on the relays.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:57 PM
Senior User

britt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dennis i ran across a topic a few minutes ago that tells how to fix your actuators yourself, i dont know how tolink you to the tread - but it is under "power door locks FIXED" hope this helps - good luck--britt
Old 11-18-2007, 03:28 AM
Postmaster

FTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to all
Idunthave1yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by britt
Dennis i ran across a topic a few minutes ago that tells how to fix your actuators yourself, i dont know how tolink you to the tread - but it is under "power door locks FIXED" hope this helps - good luck--britt
britt,
Post #2 (Darren's) had the link you were looking for I believe...
Old 11-18-2007, 10:16 AM
Senior User

Jack_99V10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
GhostSquid
Dennis,

I would reconsider Ronin's post above for the "Power Locks Fixed" thread. Your symptoms match those in that thread and I think that if you happen to fix that problem you will see that you don't really need to swap out the relays, and then you can return them, and have working locks for free I just thought it was odd that you have the same problem as everyone else, but you want to swap out parts that are probably not necessary. Just my opinion, I hope I didn't offend you.

if it makes you feel any better, I had a 99 F250 V10 2 months ago that had the same problem, and I currently have an 00 F350 7.3 with the same problem... Fortunately for me I have 2 doors to experiment with now that I have a Crew Cab... and I might actually have time next weekend to dig into them.

Good luck with whatever route you take.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:45 PM
New User

Thanks everyone, but shame on me for not mentioning that I already swaped out the actuators, new from the dealer. Sorry...But that being the case, the problem still is a problem. they sometimes work perfectly, like now, and for the last two days, before that they would only lock, not unlock, Etc.,Etc. I will not be happy till I find that #@#* relay.
Dennis
Old 11-18-2007, 06:53 PM
Senior User

Jack_99V10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
GhostSquid
Ah. I see.

Very interesting...

I guess you understand why we were pushing that on your first :P

Keep us posted.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:20 PM
New User

HI, Yes I do, and I thank everyone for all the "pushing", but I belive that in this case, not your easy fix. Sometimes I feel that if it was not for my bad luck, I would have no luck at all That relay has to be somewhere in the truck.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:20 PM