Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

94 f-250 7.3 na e4od value

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 02:17 PM
sbin
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 f-250 7.3 na e4od value

I am looking a 1994 2x4 7.3 na with an e4od trans thats worn and close to failing.The truck has about 150k and runs well the cab is in good shape.The fenders and bed will need to be replaced because of rust.At $1000 would the truck be a good deal?
I have a good used diesel e4od trans and torque converter ready to install.

My original plan was to swap the cab/frontend and drive train into a 85 hd f-250 that has served well but rusted badly.Swapping the 4x4 into the 94 would be too much work because of differences in leaf and coil sping frames.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
sbin,
Welcome to FTE and the IDI diesel forum.

If the engine has been taken care of, it is worth 1000 dollars.

When it came time to start swapping things, take a good look at drilling out the rivits on the frame hangers to swap coil to leaf front springs.
Not sure which way would be easier to go.

I have looked at a couple two wheel drive trucks giving something like that a bit of thought, but I never really studied how much work it would be.
Swapping cabs has a lot of little details that drive you nuts as well.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:47 PM
sbin
Junior User
Thanks Dave
Thinking about getting the diesel, changing the tranny and driving it.Having a running truck would make it easier to take apart weld in replacement panels and redo the intake/exhaust on the 85.
Had that truck for 15 years and its never let me down.Unfortunately the pollution control on the motor has rotted beyond repair and the passenger side rocker panel is held in place by the seat belt.
Even with minor problems it still works great!Drove 500 miles round trip a few weeks ago and will be towing a Massey Freguson 135 tractor 350 miles one way next week.

A mechanic friend told me e4od are junk, diesels are an expensive pain in the *** and are only good if you drive them all the time.
Reading peoples opinion here about maintainance and fuel effeciency has made me alot more comfortable with the idea of owning a diesel pickup.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:02 AM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E4OD can act like junk with only one or 2 small inputs not right..... So tell us what the problem/symptoms are before condemning it..... Can you get a code from the trans using an OBD1 checker...... azone can help there......

Do the tach and speedo work excellent........ does it have abnormal sized tires.... normal SRW would be 235/85/R16

Old 11-17-2007, 09:41 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
When it came time to start swapping things, take a good look at drilling out the rivits on the frame hangers to swap coil to leaf front springs.
This can't be done without custom fab work.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:43 AM
sbin
Junior User
PLC7.3

The current owner said the tranny is weak, will need replaced and priced the truck accordingly.I haven't road tested it but a 2x4 with a plow can't have much useful service life left.Already found a lightly used trans/torque converter I could throw a rebuild kit in an install.

The friend who offered advice about e4od owns a transmission shop but during our conversation most of the problems he mentioned were with wreckers and other trucks that were worked extremely hard.My needs are much less demanding.