Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

I've officially been "Stroked"

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 01:50 PM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've officially been "Stroked"

Just when I had faith in Ford that they had 6.0 cleaned up well enough to buy one this happens. I blew my first injector on the '07, only 18000 miles. Its pretty depressing really. I think I might go back to Dodge after the 1st of the year.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:52 PM
LOADED 06 PSD
Senior User
wow pretty harsh, that sux though sorry to hear that

Old 11-01-2007, 02:18 PM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Covered under warranty?

Old 11-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
18k, still well within the 36k whole truck warrenty, and the 100k powertrain warrenty.

While I like the dodge cummins, I would stay away from the 6.7 cummins right now. Tons and tons of plugged DPFs and blown turbos.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:10 PM
V10_Cougar
Elder User
Originally Posted by BigDaddy6969
Just when I had faith in Ford that they had 6.0 cleaned up well enough to buy one this happens. I blew my first injector on the '07, only 18000 miles. Its pretty depressing really. I think I might go back to Dodge after the 1st of the year.
THIS BELONGS IN THE 6.0 L FORUM. LEARN YOUR FORUMS

I'll bet that when you get your Dodge and blow an injector you will lose faith as well, I assume. Why do you give up so fast, put up a fight or something. I.E. FIX THE DAMN THING

Old 11-01-2007, 05:34 PM
DonJames
Senior User
Originally Posted by BigDaddy6969
Its not Ford that let you down. It's Navistar's (International) problem child!

Old 11-01-2007, 09:26 PM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
Originally Posted by V10_Cougar
THIS BELONGS IN THE 6.0 L FORUM. LEARN YOUR FORUMS
I put a quip in there about "going back to Dodge" to spark interest/debate/educated opinions about which is better. I think this would be better suited here for such talk.

I'll bet that when you get your Dodge and blow an injector you will lose faith as well, I assume.
I would be pretty down if I had a Dodge blow an injector at 18K but every Dodge I have owned has pretty much been problem free other than the fact the body broke down around the motor. I am however, in better financial condition than I was in '98 so I can get things traded off before said case happens.

Why do you give up so fast, put up a fight or something. I.E. FIX THE DAMN THING
Calm down, its in the shop as we speak.

Furthermore I am thinking maybe of going w/ either a Chevy Dmax 3500 or maybe, just MAYBE a F F350 w/ the V10.

The Chevy is #1 to expensive I think, #2 I have had HORRIBLE luck w/ Chevy's in the past and its more of a mental block to get over for me to buy one more than anything.

The F-350 is a nice truck and all but I dont know if the V10 is enough motor for what I do with my 1 tons. I pull a heavy trailer ALOT in the spring/summer, usually somewhere in the 14-17K lbs department 2 to 3 times a week. A V10 dually would probly do the trick I am thinking and cost me about 10K less than the Dmax. What do you all think?

Old 11-01-2007, 11:58 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
I think you get what you pay for...no pun intended.

Why the beef with the duramax? Why is an injector such a let down? It wasn't a turbo or a completely blown motor... it's like a spark plug. Ya, it's important, but not really the end of the world and not a sign of things to come. Lb7's Duramaxes have had injector issues as have the cummin's. Are you loosing faith?

Why even consider a V10? Do you really miss the safety and reliability blanket of poor gas mileage of the V10 (I'm asuming the last truck with the V10 treated you well.) and the "no-go" compared to the diesel? There is a huge tradeoff there IMO.

You know in your heart and in your wallet what you can and will do. I am not one to jump ship esp at 18k even though it is disheartening. I would put an injector in it and drive on if it were me. If other problems come up, then I would ditch it. But right now I would stay the course.... If that helps at all?

Old 11-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Big Bad
Elder User
The 3V V10 hardly provides "no-go" compared to the 6.0L, or any current diesel for that matter.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:43 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Big Bad
The 3V V10 hardly provides "no-go" compared to the 6.0L, or any current diesel for that matter.
I've driven quite a few 2V V10's and they performed very well in our application.

( 3/4 ton, supercab, long box, with 2 quads on a deck on top of the box and survey gear loaded inside the box )

Do they still build the V10?

Old 11-02-2007, 12:24 PM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
Originally Posted by duramaximizer
I think you get what you pay for...no pun intended.
I kind of agree... to a point.

Why the beef with the duramax?
No beef w/ the Dmax, just GM in general, I had 2 trucks and they both were lemons, like I said, more of a mind set than anything.

Why is an injector such a let down? It wasn't a turbo or a completely blown motor... it's like a spark plug.
Its a let down because when I pay 47 grand for a truck I would like to think that I can get more than 18K trouble free miles out of it. Its not like its a used truck or a project truck, I bought this thing BRAND NEW for a lot of money therefore I think I should be entitled to a little peace of mind.

Ya, it's important, but not really the end of the world and not a sign of things to come.
Not the end of the world no, and hopefully not a sign of things to come.

Lb7's Duramaxes have had injector issues as have the cummin's. Are you loosing faith?
The 6.0 HAD issues too, I thought 4 years was long enough to get them under control, guess I was wrong, thats the worst part.

Why even consider a V10? Do you really miss the safety and reliability blanket of poor gas mileage of the V10 (I'm asuming the last truck with the V10 treated you well.) and the "no-go" compared to the diesel? There is a huge tradeoff there IMO.
I have an '03 2v V10 and I love every minute of that damn truck. Best gas vehicle I have ever owned. It will haul *** if i want too but it can also pull better than any other gas on the market. 12 MPG is fine by me, I dont buy a truck for the mileage, I buy them to get the job done. I have heard the 3V V10 has far more power than mine and gets better mileage, sounds good to me. Especially since its so much cheaper at the sticker price than a brand new Dmax.

You know in your heart and in your wallet what you can and will do. I am not one to jump ship esp at 18k even though it is disheartening.
Like I said I would have to wait until the 1st of the year before I trade anything at any rate.

I would put an injector in it and drive on if it were me.
I dont have a whole lot of choice on that one since its covered by warranty.

If other problems come up, then I would ditch it. But right now I would stay the course.... If that helps at all
It does.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:54 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Yea I wouldn't sweat an injector man. If it was re-occuring then I would be more concerned or make ford replace them all or something. But from my understanding it's kinda like day-surgery for your truck :-)

Old 11-02-2007, 12:56 PM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
Yea I wouldn't sweat an injector man. If it was re-occuring then I would be more concerned or make ford replace them all or something. But from my understanding it's kinda like day-surgery for your truck :-)
Just to side track this abit,

How is the new rig treatin' ya so far DMAX?

Old 11-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The 6.0s were known for blowing turbos, headgaskets and bolts. I don't think they were very bad on injectors. But an injector is no big deal, 1 injector goes bad at 18k, while the rest are fine. Its still under warrenty and its neglidgeable. s**t happens. Now if 5 injectors blew, both headgaskets blew out, and the turbo vains gunked up all at the same time, then I would be let down

Old 11-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Big Bad
Elder User
Originally Posted by SMIGGS
I've driven quite a few 2V V10's and they performed very well in our application.

( 3/4 ton, supercab, long box, with 2 quads on a deck on top of the box and survey gear loaded inside the box )

Do they still build the V10?
Yeah, the 3V V10 will be available in Super Duties until replaced by a Boss V8.

2V V10s can still be had in the E-Series.

I've driven bucket trucks (~18,000 lbs.) with both the 6.0L PowerStroke and the 3V V10, and honestly the 3V feels stronger than the 6.0L to me.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2007...otout5mpg.html
http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2007...otout7mpg.html

Last edited by Big Bad; 11-02-2007 at 04:03 PM.

Quick Reply: I've officially been "Stroked"