6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

strange Tinging noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 12:02 PM
FX4Powerstroke6.4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SANDDEMON08
I have lots of ford service buddies....
You have any service buddies in S.California?? I would hate to take off all of my mods to take it in to get this hose addressed.

Well I drove my truck on a 600 mile round trip this past weekend towing 7k lbs. and the noise was definately there but more when the engine was about 200 degrees. It was the loudest at 2k RPM's and would stay constant until the truck shifted then it would quiet down and you couldn't hear it. The truck drove fine w/no issues and I avg 12.82 MPG (hand calculated w/GPS). That's up from 10.5 MPG when stock and towing same weight. One thing I did notice is that it would get pretty loud when my AC was on and running on level 2 or higher and you can really hear it inside the vehicle.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:07 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by FX4Powerstroke6.4
You have any service buddies in S.California?? I would hate to take off all of my mods to take it in to get this hose addressed.

Well I drove my truck on a 600 mile round trip this past weekend towing 7k lbs. and the noise was definately there but more when the engine was about 200 degrees. It was the loudest at 2k RPM's and would stay constant until the truck shifted then it would quiet down and you couldn't hear it. The truck drove fine w/no issues and I avg 12.82 MPG (hand calculated w/GPS). That's up from 10.5 MPG when stock and towing same weight. One thing I did notice is that it would get pretty loud when my AC was on and running on level 2 or higher and you can really hear it inside the vehicle.
Nope none in CA. The noise is often heard more while the engine is hot because the thermostat is fully open. The new 6.4 can flow a serious amount of water. The nosie you hear is the water rushing through the heater core. All they do is put a restricter pipe in to slow down the flow through the heater core which cuts back the noise to an accetable level.

What mods do you have done?

Old 07-10-2008, 12:11 PM
FX4Powerstroke6.4
New User
Nope none in CA. The noise is often heard more while the engine is hot because the thermostat is fully open. The new 6.4 can flow a serious amount of water. The nosie you hear is the water rushing through the heater core. All they do is put a restricter pipe in to slow down the flow through the heater core which cuts back the noise to an accetable level.

So what you're saying is don't worry about it if it doesn't bother you?? It doesn't really bother me because it doesn't do it as often as before. Are you going to get it addressed?? I just remembered you said you have that noise. To be completely honest if its not an issue I'm not going to worry about it and if the current hose that is on there is flowing coolant a lot faster than the new restricter pipe wouldn't that be a good thing?

Old 07-10-2008, 12:13 PM
FX4Powerstroke6.4
New User

Sorry forgot to answer your question. I have the following:

BADP Custom Tunes in Edge Evolution w/Regen off
BADP DPF Delete Pipe
4" Magnaflow XL Series Single Exit Exhaust
S&B CAI

Old 07-10-2008, 12:28 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by FX4Powerstroke6.4
Sorry forgot to answer your question. I have the following:

BADP Custom Tunes in Edge Evolution w/Regen off
BADP DPF Delete Pipe
4" Magnaflow XL Series Single Exit Exhaust
S&B CAI

I'm not going to say dont worry about because i dont know what the long term affects are. I do no since it is just a TSB technical service bulletin it is only to be addressed if the actual compliant of an issue is present. The line their restricting is just to the heater core which may only have an affect on extreme cold weather heating in your truck IMO. I dont see how it would affect any cooling functions.

I had mine done and you can still here it but you have to be trying to listen for it so the annoyiance factor is gone.

If you take it in for service i would defiently take your mods off just to be safe. More times than not the dealers are not mod friendly, and even if they are things can go south when the right people are their pookin around.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:31 PM
FX4Powerstroke6.4
New User
I'm not going to say dont worry about because i dont know what the long term affects are. I do no since it is just a TSB technical service bulletin it is only to be addressed if the actual compliant of an issue is present. The line their restricting is just to the heater core which may only have an affect on extreme cold weather heating in your truck IMO. I dont see how it would affect any cooling functions.

I had mine done and you can still here it but you have to be trying to listen for it so the annoyiance factor is gone.

If you take it in for service i would defiently take your mods off just to be safe. More times than not the dealers are not mod friendly, and even if they are things can go south when the right people are their pookin around.
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to hold off for a bit since I just got my mods installed less than one month ago.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:18 AM
yukondiesel
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hollywood2005
Got a new 2008 F-350 and got about 3000 KMs on it and a new tinging noise just started last night. It sounds like putting a screwdrvier in a metal fan....... It only happens every now and then and cannot make it happen on demand.

it's only happend a half a dozen times and seem like it happens at a idle but could be happening a higher RPM but just can't hear it..

has anyone had a similar problem?
I heard the same type of noise. I would characterize it as sounding like a small piece of debris in the fan or turbo. I was idling in traffic and thought it might have been the car next to me, since the sound disappeared when the traffic moved. This happened at about 100 miles (Yes, THAT new).

Old 07-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Sniveler90
Freshman User
yea, there is no way this is a coolant sound..It was a metal sound from either the Fan, Turbo, A/C compressor, Alt or ???