2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XTR – Is It Just Bling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 07:25 PM
snapshot
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XTR – Is It Just Bling?

I have been checking lots and online inventories for dealers in Southern and Eastern Ontario, and it seems almost all of the 2007 and 2008 F150s they have (except a few FXs and the odd Lariat) come with the "XTR" package.

This package consists of P265/60RX18 OWL All Season tires, 18" chrome clad wheels, chrome step bars and chrome XTR letters on the tailgate (which are not always properly installed), for a net sticker price of C$1650.

Can anybody comment on whether this is just bling or if there is some functional value to the items in the package? I can see the value of the step bars, which are C$695 sticker if ordered separately, but I was wondering if there is something about the wheels and tires that I am missing. They look nice but maybe not ~$1000 nice, at least not to me.

Also, why not have at least a few trucks with XLT trim and no XTR package? It seems the XTR items could be added quite easily for buyers that want them, but when they are already on the truck it is not so easy to take them off.

I realize we can order trucks with whatever we want, but wonder why almost all the trucks in dealer inventory are blinged up. Could this be part of making a $ quota, or some sort of incentive from the factory to the dealer?

Snapshot

Old 10-20-2007, 08:47 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that package is a dealer adder. It is probably their way of moving old inventory.. or trying to move inventory.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:07 PM
snapshot
Junior User
Originally Posted by WheelMA1
I think that package is a dealer adder. It is probably their way of moving old inventory.. or trying to move inventory.
As in being added by the dealer once they get the truck? Or added when they place the order, trying to add some profit margin and/or attract buyers?

The trucks I have seen with this indicate the XTR package C$2250 and XTR package discount C$600 on the factory sticker, so I believe they were ordered this way. Also, if these items were added at the dealership they would be up to their ears in 17" wheels and tires that came off the XLT trucks.

It is not just some trucks at some dealers, it is most XLT trucks at all the dealers I have checked.

Dealers may be many things but I doubt they are stupid, so it must be making money for them somehow - either selling trucks or boosting the profit on the trucks sold from inventory.

I am still wondering if there is some functional benefit to the 18" wheels and tires, maybe have to test drive XLT vs. XTR to see if there is something there worth C$1000 or so.

But there are very few XLTs without the XTR that I can find...

Snapshot

Old 10-20-2007, 09:11 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
I take it back. A quick google search gave me the correct answer. Here in the states, we have the "XLT Chrome" package adder. That same package upgrade is marketed as the XTR in Canada. It is a factory option.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:14 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
I also agree with you. I am not a fan of the Chrome package (especially for the price). If many of the sitting units on the dealer lots have it.. it seems many consumers dont like it either.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:26 PM
snapshot
Junior User
I also agree with you. I am not a fan of the Chrome package (especially for the price). If many of the sitting units on the dealer lots have it.. it seems many consumers dont like it either.
Could be... or with oil at $90/barrel nobody is buying trucks, certainly not off the lot. Must be hurting the dealers.

Wrong forum, but I also looked at some F250s on a dealer lot tonight – yes, the dreaded scope creep is starting and I really liked the green one...

There were not as many trucks but a bit more variety, and both of the S/C 6.5" trucks had the Premium Forged Aluminum 20" wheels @ C$2250 with no discount that I could see. These were really nice wheels, and I suppose $2250 not significant on a $50000 truck, but still... this was the most expensive option on each truck, surpassing even the 5 speed AT @ C$1935.

Snapshot

Old 10-21-2007, 08:56 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Well as much as the oil prices hurt the pocket, I will soon be using more of it. I have an 08 F350 V10 on order with my local dealer.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:20 PM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
Well as much as the oil prices hurt the pocket, I will soon be using more of it. I have an 08 F350 V10 on order with my local dealer.
Blasted traitor...

I don't really care for all that "bling" too... maybe just rims and bumpers (at the most)... I wish they had a package for minimal badging and stickers

Old 03-27-2008, 03:10 PM
CowboyPenner
Elder User
My buddy just bought an '08 with the XTR package and he loves it. I'm really excited to see it tonight. I don't there is such a thing as too much chrome on a nice truck.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:57 PM
SteelHorse08
Senior User
Ya it's either to much added stuff you really dont want or it's not enough stuff that you want. luckily I found an "XLT" package that had what I wanted like chrome bumpers, tow package, rear pass.windows and back window tinted.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:31 PM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
Smile

Originally Posted by 99Trigger3_0
Blasted traitor...

I don't really care for all that "bling" too... maybe just rims and bumpers (at the most)... I wish they had a package for minimal badging and stickers
I agree 2000% on the limited badge/sticker crap. At least mine only says "Lariat" in the dash. Have you seen the 2008 Harley Davidson ones? My lord, it probably says HD on the oil pan.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:38 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by F0rdzTuff
My lord, it probably says HD on the oil pan.
If it doesn't, it was a $200 option the dealer neglected to mention

Old 03-28-2008, 06:44 AM
buckandahalf
New User
Originally Posted by F0rdzTuff
Have you seen the 2008 Harley Davidson ones? My lord, it probably says HD on the oil pan.

Now that's LOL funny.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:00 PM
duste
Laughing Gas
The XTR pakage in not a replacement for the chrome pakage as we in Canada also have the chrome pkg and the XTR pkg. My 06 is an XLT with the XTR pkg, and the XTR is basically useless bling. It seems here they all now have the 18' wheels ans steptubes that I would trade anyday for real running boards. As far as I'm concerned it cost me 16 hundred for a tail pipe extention that road dirt has blasted off the finish. By the way , I do love the truck, just the options seem to be a bigger rip off than in years past, my 02 was an XLT XTR and you could see the difference the XTR package made.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:39 PM
RV77
New User
Fordztuff - You arent kidding about the HD truck.The first thing I didnt like was the lettering down the bedsides.....WTF !!! But I must say though.....they have a real cool bed mat that would fetch a good price on ebay !

Quick Reply: XTR – Is It Just Bling?