6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Flash for better MPG coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 08:03 AM
chi6488
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flash for better MPG coming soon

I was at dealer to do oil change yesterday and was shooting the breeze with service advisor. Complained about the MPG and she said they are working on a flash to imprve mileage. Thinks we will get a card to take to dealer for reflash.

Don't know if it was BS or that is really what she is hearing from the grapevine.

My concern if there is a flash, does that mean we will lose power in any way?? I will not be the first to find out if there is one.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:26 AM
fordfish
Senior User
It can be done without loosing power, can actually increase power, but probably won't.
Did you know there is a spray of fuel after the power stroke injection just to guarantee to burn out the remaining(If thereis any) unburnt fuel...this is purely a waste of fuel....your not getting any power use of this spray....comes directly out of your mpg figures. This is just ONE of the parameters that can be dealt with, there are quite a few more when your talking about REFLASHES.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:32 AM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
there is no such flash coming that i know of. all of these trucks chevy and dodge as well have poor mileage. there is not much that can be done except for keeping idling to a minimum, and use what is recomended as far as oil and fuel. this will keep regens to a minimum which will do your mileage a favor.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:38 AM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BowTieHatr
there is no such flash coming that i know of. all of these trucks chevy and dodge as well have poor mileage. there is not much that can be done except for keeping idling to a minimum, and use what is recomended as far as oil and fuel. this will keep regens to a minimum which will do your mileage a favor.
Speak for yourself my lmm is almost as good as my lb7 in regards to milage. I've had the rare opportunity to not have a trailer hooked up the last couple weeks to actaully see where I am. My avg mpg is 16.8 hwy, city and regens.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:08 PM
PSD6litre40
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
Speak for yourself my lmm is almost as good as my lb7 in regards to milage. I've had the rare opportunity to not have a trailer hooked up the last couple weeks to actaully see where I am. My avg mpg is 16.8 hwy, city and regens.
BLAH BLAH BLAH we have all heard and don't really care.........

Old 10-19-2007, 12:59 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PSD6litre40
BLAH BLAH BLAH we have all heard and don't really care.........
The don't post.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:39 PM
fordfish
Senior User
Originally Posted by BowTieHatr
This goes to show they are overfueled, a DIESEl should NOT use lots of fuel at idle...
The fuel mapping needs to be adjusted.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:48 PM
kimminau2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am sure that Ford CAN do it, if they will is a different story. I was told by Matt at Spartan Diesel that they are working on a livewire tune that will do just that.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:48 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by kimminau2
I am sure that Ford CAN do it, if they will is a different story. I was told by Matt at Spartan Diesel that they are working on a livewire tune that will do just that.
If this is all true then it sounds like there's a lot of money to be made with an aftermarket tuner. Makes you wonder why Matt isn't putting in some more overtime.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:59 PM
kimminau2
Elder User
Originally Posted by F350-6
If this is all true then it sounds like there's a lot of money to be made with an aftermarket tuner. Makes you wonder why Matt isn't putting in some more overtime.
Actually he said he had it ready to roll, but he is still waiting on some kind of compiler or some such thing from SCT in order to load the tunes.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:35 AM
fordfish
Senior User
Originally Posted by F350-6
pick up a subscription to one of the Diesel Magazines...It is full of aftermarket tuners, one for everybody and every need.....but no OEM tuners

Old 10-26-2007, 09:23 PM
pilotshot
Senior User
I have some news on a possible 6.4L PCM computer reflash by Ford. An article in the Vancouver Sun today had an interview with Bill Osborne, the President of Ford of Canada. Bill Osborne had previously worked on the Power Stroke engine program prior to becoming President of Ford of Canada.

He stated that the 2008 Ford Superduty is selling well particularily in Texas and Alberta. He admitted that the fuel economy on the 2008 diesel is disappointing. Osborne said Ford is working on software in an attempt to improve fuel economy. Osborne stated that the settings for the regeneration cycle was too conservative. Ford staff are presently tweaking those settings in an effort to improve fuel economy.

Let's hope they find the solution. It will make a great truck even better.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:22 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We can only imagine what a 6.4 with programming and muffler delete could do...

Old 10-27-2007, 01:34 AM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
it really suprises me that you continue to post on a ford site even though you dont own one and all you have done is bash them from the start? is it really that bad on the Chevy/GMC forums?

Old 10-27-2007, 08:24 AM
PSD6litre40
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wlihntr
it really suprises me that you continue to post on a ford site even though you dont own one and all you have done is bash them from the start? is it really that bad on the Chevy/GMC forums?
I agree, and btw, 16.8 highway is non impressive to me. My 6.4 gets that as is. Buy some wheels and tires on it that didn't come off a Hyundai or that would be used as a spare for a Ford and see where your fuel economy goes.......