General Automotive Discussion

GM lays off 767

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 04:47 PM
bigblock_drock
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GM lays off 767

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071016/UPDATE/710160451/1148/rss25

Last edited by bigblock_drock; 10-16-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:33 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
That is kind of sad because it is American Workers that are getting the Bum deal on that..Ever sense people have gone simple minded and forgotten that they should support American products..

God things are going down hill for sure..Then you have Presidential candidates telling in there campaigns to buy foreign junk...

You know it could happen to Ford or Dodge in having layoffs soon. And to wear a party hat in the first post to me is tasteless..We should be thinking about the ones losing there jobs that have familys to feed.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:29 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,223 Likes on 4,253 Posts
Originally Posted by sglaine
That is kind of sad because it is American Workers that are getting the Bum deal on that..Ever sense people have gone simple minded and forgotten that they should support American products..

God things are going down hill for sure..Then you have Presidential candidates telling in there campaigns to buy foreign junk...

You know it could happen to Ford or Dodge in having layoffs soon. And to wear a party hat in the first post to me is tasteless..We should be thinking about the ones losing there jobs that have familys to feed.
Yeah...some American workers are getting the shaft...who to blame??? Is it the unions that used their might to negotiate contracts that mortgaged the companies futures...or is it the companies for agreeing to contracts that mortgaged their futures??? I suspect both have to share in the blame.
As far as foreign cars...they build great vehicles...so doesn't Ford and...dare I say on this venue...GM...the perception is quality. I think what we really see is the difference in strategy. We all know that the foreign (Japanese) manufacturers have their quality issues...just like the domestics. The difference, in my opinion, is the way those problems are handled..IE recalls. Domestic manufacturers will issue Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) and recalls when they experience a relatively small number/percentage of problems...ultimately they want to head off problems before they become serious. The foreign (Japanese) manufacturers will fight tooth and nail to not have a recall...even when they know there is a serious problem. They make the consumer scratch and claw before they will acknoweldge that there is a problem...and then look for every excuse not to make restitution. Any one remember the sludge problems in Toyota engines? How many people paid for repairs because Toyota claimed it was a maintenance issue? How many of those folks never got any money back??? How about the cam/crank problems on the legendary (in their own minds) new Tundra...Toyota knew there was a problem...let the customers experience the problem...then fixed them...under protest!!! Our sister store sells Yotas...their service department has engines and transmissions all over the floor...just like at the Ford store I work in. Ford will let you know that there is a problem...even if you have no idea!!!

Well...enough rambling for now...time to get off the soap box!!!

Old 10-16-2007, 06:34 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by BIGKEN
Yeah...some American workers are getting the shaft...who to blame??? Is it the unions that used their might to negotiate contracts that mortgaged the companies futures...or is it the companies for agreeing to contracts that mortgaged their futures??? I suspect both have to share in the blame.
As far as foreign cars...they build great vehicles...so doesn't Ford and...dare I say on this venue...GM...the perception is quality. I think what we really see is the difference in strategy. We all know that the foreign (Japanese) manufacturers have their quality issues...just like the domestics. The difference, in my opinion, is the way those problems are handled..IE recalls. Domestic manufacturers will issue Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) and recalls when they experience a relatively small number/percentage of problems...ultimately they want to head off problems before they become serious. The foreign (Japanese) manufacturers will fight tooth and nail to not have a recall...even when they know there is a serious problem. They make the consumer scratch and claw before they will acknoweldge that there is a problem...and then look for every excuse not to make restitution. Any one remember the sludge problems in Toyota engines? How many people paid for repairs because Toyota claimed it was a maintenance issue? How many of those folks never got any money back??? How about the cam/crank problems on the legendary (in their own minds) new Tundra...Toyota knew there was a problem...let the customers experience the problem...then fixed them...under protest!!! Our sister store sells Yotas...their service department has engines and transmissions all over the floor...just like at the Ford store I work in. Ford will let you know that there is a problem...even if you have no idea!!!

Well...enough rambling for now...time to get off the soap box!!!

I remember you telling me about that one time... Yes yes

Old 10-16-2007, 07:25 PM
bigblock_drock
Elder User
the party hat wast anything towards the american workers loosing there jobs, it was that fact the GM (who is in 1st in total sales) is having a hard time right now and ford on the other hand is gaining strength again.... i wouldnt wish for hard american workers loose thire jobs!

Old 10-16-2007, 07:30 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by bigblock_drock
the party hat wast anything towards the american workers loosing there jobs, it was that fact the GM (who is in 1st in total sales) is having a hard time right now and ford on the other hand is gaining strength again.... i wouldnt wish for hard american workers loose thire jobs!

Well my opinion Ford has always been the best even when there chips are down..I my self stopped buying GM products back in 1988.. And at that time I was running both Ford and GM in my fleet..Now just Ford and maybe an International some time down the road..

Now I understand where your coming from and that is all good but no offence the post at first did not appear to look that way and it could have been looked in many ways... By the way check out your local chapter..

Last edited by sglaine; 10-16-2007 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:19 PM
ididntdoit99
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Domestic manufacturers will issue Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) and recalls when they experience a relatively small number/percentage of problems...ultimately they want to head off problems before they become serious. The foreign (Japanese) manufacturers will fight tooth and nail to not have a recall...even when they know there is a serious problem. They make the consumer scratch and claw before they will acknoweldge that there is a problem...and then look for every excuse not to make restitution. Any one remember the sludge problems in Toyota engines? How many people paid for repairs because Toyota claimed it was a maintenance issue? How many of those folks never got any money back??? How about the cam/crank problems on the legendary (in their own minds) new Tundra...Toyota knew there was a problem...let the customers experience the problem...then fixed them...under protest!!!
I don't know a whole lot about this issue, but from what i've read I see the exact opposite of what your are saying

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7887155/
a massive recall because there were 6 confirmed vehicals

and the camshafts in 20 vehicals
http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/...ota_tundra.htm

now take a look at the 5.4 l ford engine
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...ord_spark.html

where's that recall when the first note says that ONE person has fixed a blown plug over 90 times on these engines?

like i said, i don't know a whole lot about the subject, but from what i've read on here and other sites, i don't think ford owns up to their mistakes any more than the competition.

and i'm damn glad my truck hasn't blow a plug

Old 10-16-2007, 08:27 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by ididntdoit99

where's that recall when the first note says that ONE person has fixed a blown plug over 90 times on these engines?

like i said, i don't know a whole lot about the subject, but from what i've read on here and other sites, i don't think ford owns up to their mistakes any more than the competition.

I can tell you one thing and that Ford has owned up to there mistake more then any other make of rigs that I have owned.. I have had a fleet for years now..Of course that is my opinion..And I will stand by that as long as Ford continues to do a great job for my self and my business.... Ford Tough All The Way.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:48 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,223 Likes on 4,253 Posts
I don't know a whole lot about this issue, but from what i've read I see the exact opposite of what your are saying

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7887155/
a massive recall because there were 6 confirmed vehicals

and the camshafts in 20 vehicals
http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/toyota/toyota_tundra.htm

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_spark.html

Good references, 99, I was speaking from my experiences with our Yota store. Note most if not all of the major Yota recalls are a fairly new phenomenon...perhaps bowing to pressure from consumers. They still fight you tooth and nail, however, making the consumer force them to do the right thing. I agree the domestics are not perfect...I still think they are more open and honest about it. Your point is well taken. I think the tenor of most of the threads tends to be negative as folks who are happy generally are a whole lot quieter than those who are not. We should be thankful that we have this and other forums to express our displeasure, commiserate with those who have like difficulties, and seek the advice of our fellow Ford enthusiasts for solutions to our dilemmas.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:26 PM
ididntdoit99
Elder User
Good references, 99, I was speaking from my experiences with our Yota store. Note most if not all of the major Yota recalls are a fairly new phenomenon...perhaps bowing to pressure from consumers. They still fight you tooth and nail, however, making the consumer force them to do the right thing. I agree the domestics are not perfect...I still think they are more open and honest about it. Your point is well taken. I think the tenor of most of the threads tends to be negative as folks who are happy generally are a whole lot quieter than those who are not. We should be thankful that we have this and other forums to express our displeasure, commiserate with those who have like difficulties, and seek the advice of our fellow Ford enthusiasts for solutions to our dilemmas.
I agree, and like i said, i'm no expert on such things... i just see sooo many posts and hear so many stories about the whole blown plug, and i start to wonder.

But, in my case, i've had nothing but good expiriences with my f150, my old 83 f150 was a pile, but i liked it enough to get another.

can't wait til this weekend..... the truck is getting a makeover.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:08 PM
rangerfan
Posting Guru

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_spark.html

If my truck blew a plug like that and Ford knew about the problem then I would be done with their products forever.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:40 PM
ididntdoit99
Elder User
I had one of my coils go bad on my f150, scared the ***** out of me. Thought I had blown a plug, but it turned out to be fine.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:22 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
I wondered how long this post would last before the toyota word came up, yota is talked about more than ford on here and thats very sad. Ford's quality is increasing as toyota's is decreasing as they slip to 5th in over all quality. Everyone knows how I feel about buying american, so I won't go there. I just wish all auto manufactures in the U.S. had to belong to the UAW to make it more of an even playing field.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:48 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wendell borror
I just wish all auto manufactures in the U.S. had to belong to the UAW to make it more of an even playing field.
Mandatory union membership by government decree? Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov, better known by the alias Lenin, would have loved that.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:23 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by wendell borror
I wondered how long this post would last before the toyota word came up, yota is talked about more than ford on here and thats very sad. Ford's quality is increasing as toyota's is decreasing as they slip to 5th in over all quality. Everyone knows how I feel about buying american, so I won't go there. I just wish all auto manufactures in the U.S. had to belong to the UAW to make it more of an even playing field.

Very nice poat and I agree with you on that..

Quick Reply: GM lays off 767