1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Don't get too mad at me but...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 03:49 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 383 Likes on 274 Posts
I have to fall in line with everyone else, the cummins in a great motor but if you want longevity then a ford is the only way, the dodge chasis just does not do justice to motor that is in them.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Eric_F250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the guys at my local 4x4 shop say they see 10 dodges for each ford that comes in. the most common thing they see is really loose rear axles or really tight rear axles.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Epd444
Elder User
Cummins is only strokins mess

Old 10-14-2007, 07:12 PM
andywe
Senior User
Having owned several Dodge products, I can honestly say that the Ford will hold up better. Take a look at any construction site. You see a bunch of Fords, a few Chevy's and a few Dodges..and those with Dodges get dropped off or bum a ride to work often becuse their truck is in the shop. Great motor, but you cannot trust the transmission at all. I learnt the hard way.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:33 PM
79F150EFI
Senior User
Maybe if I could have a Ford body, Cummins engine, and Allison tranny.
Perfect combination.

Dodge trucks are cheaper in quality and don't appear to be as nicely laid out as fords or chevys. If you are in for the long haul, get a truck that is comfortable to be in for long periods of time. That could be the dodge truck depending on what you like. I find chevy interiors really uncomfortable. The seats make my back hurt in no time at all. I don't have this problem in dodges or fords. This is just me.

The dodge trucks don't hold up that bad. They do have a few issues depending on the year just like any make does. Some people seem to be under the impression that the wheels will fall off and the doors always sag. That really isn't the case. Although the body panels on the dodges is thin and flimsy, I have seen many less late model dodges rust out than fords. Even my truck has a rust spot on it and it is in nearly immaculate condition.

If I was going to haul really heavy loads or hauling in hilly terrain and didn't want to take the time/money to swap a cummins in a ford, I would simply buy a manual dodge. There is no question about it. A manual dodge will hold up for quite a long time. Especially if you want a 4x4 dually, I would definitely get a dodge. It is hard as hell to find an OBS in that combination around here.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:50 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=79F150EFI]Perfect combination.

Although the body panels on the dodges is thin and flimsy, I have seen many less late model dodges rust out than fords. Even my truck has a rust spot on it and it is in nearly immaculate condition.

QUOTE]

huh? my '95 has NO rust on it at all , except some on the undercarriage, but that comes with any truck. one of my buddy's had a '95 dodge with rust all over the poor thing and the driver's door would only shut if he reached out and grabbed the outside hande, pulled it up and slammed the door. (it got a little messed up from an accident though). it's all in how the truck was taken care of. oh yeah, and the region the truck has been in. if it's been around the salt and stuff up north, then yeah, it will rust. but down here, the trucks don't rust as easily. find one in good shape and taken care of well and you got it made in the shade

Old 10-14-2007, 09:48 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
I concur, but man those cummins can do some serious pulling. I'd never trade in my girl but a cummins would be nice to have on the farm just because the torque is right there. Oh well. Good comments guys.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:45 PM
tndiesel
Elder User
Do the Cummins turn lower RPMs than the PSD at higher speeds?

Old 10-15-2007, 05:44 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
one of the guys in the central texas turbo diesel chapter (aka... cummins diesel club) went to the diesel nationals this weekend to pull and today when he pulled, he broke his rear axle. so in other words, while the engine may stay together, the cab, suspension, and every thing else will fall down around it.
Travis, you say that like his truck is junk. You know as well as I do that truck is one bad mother. Now I'm not trying to defend Dodges, but the only reason he broke is probably my fault. True, Jared is not a D.R. guy but he helps us out all the time, you just may not know it. He asked me to build bars for him but there was no way I could do it before the nationals. I truely believe that if I had gotten them built, he wouldn't have bounced trying to pull a 40k pound sled. With any luck, I'll have them built soon and he won't have that happen again. I know you weren't gettin' down on him, but I would at least say cut him a little slack.

On the topic of the thread, I say stay with the Ford. I've seen the best and worst of both. I just like the Fords better.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:49 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RubberDuck
On the topic of the thread, I say stay with the Ford. I've seen the best and worst of both. I just like the Fords better.
every truck has its ups and downs. i am a ford guy through and through but if/when my PSD dies i am swapping a cummins 12V in no questions! they were built along the same lines as tractor trailers and those trucks only purpose in life is to haul and pull! also i cant stand how our PSD's have absolutely no room in the engine bay due to the V8 design!

http://www.destroked.com/
http://www.fordcummins.com/

-cutts-

Last edited by fishmanndotcom; 10-15-2007 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:27 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RubberDuck
Travis, you say that like his truck is junk. You know as well as I do that truck is one bad mother. Now I'm not trying to defend Dodges, but the only reason he broke is probably my fault. True, Jared is not a D.R. guy but he helps us out all the time, you just may not know it. He asked me to build bars for him but there was no way I could do it before the nationals. I truely believe that if I had gotten them built, he wouldn't have bounced trying to pull a 40k pound sled. With any luck, I'll have them built soon and he won't have that happen again. I know you weren't gettin' down on him, but I would at least say cut him a little slack.

yeah cody, i do know that Jared's truck is a bada$$ truck, but ya know i meant that in a jokin' sort of way, i guess is how i could say it. sarcastic... anyways, i just won't mess with Jared about that b/c matt said he looked like he lost his best friend after that happened.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Honestly at the truck pulls here in michigan, the FORD PSD's dominate the cummings trucks.

If you read diesel power, they posted the Fummins in there, and its a sweet truck at 1000 HP. But its still a ford drive train, and a strait 6 Cummings.
The cummings is a great motor, and has been around for a long time. But so is the detroit diesel, so why are none putting them in their trucks?

This months issues of Diesel Power has the break down of the cummings, and its a great engine. Just. well. Dodge parts are really expensive. And I don't care much for the dodge interrior either compared to the OBS ford's.

The guy i know with an 88 Dodge cummings with a 5 speed has replaced the seats due to the stock seats rideing so poorly. He now has semi air ride seats in there.
The older style dodges also have their stearing box on the outside of the frame, where salt and other things can easily destroy it. I'm not sure about the new ones.
And who the hell wants to reach to the passenger side to shift to 4wheel drive?

Old 10-15-2007, 12:21 PM
beansdiesel
Senior User
Originally Posted by Talyn
Honestly at the truck pulls here in michigan, the FORD PSD's dominate the cummings trucks.
Just so ya know, I have pulled against some MI trucks that supposivly "dominate" up there and put 75+' on them. Top 26 trucks at Scheids Diesel Pull were 90% Cummins and 10% Dmax, and Scheids is the showcase of pulling events.

I still like PSD's and love to work on them but I am also realistic. By the time next year comes around there is no way a PSD would come close to what I will be putting out with my 5.9.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:02 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by tndiesel
I've been doing a lot of reading/research on 1 ton trucks because I'm considering doing some part time hauling. I'm actually having thoughts of selling my 7.3 and getting a Cummins. Talk me out of it, tell me why I should not do this.
Dont do it !!, also you will become to be a TRAITOR

Just kidding, when I was going to buy my truck, first I saw a Dodge, same year but at the end comparing several things, I bought the PSD, and I love her.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:34 PM
waynebo
Senior User

Quick Reply: Don't get too mad at me but...