Sponsored by:

Opinions Needed: Projector Headlights on an X

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 08:15 PM
thehawk75
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions Needed: Projector Headlights on an X

I see ads like this on eBay all the time that allow you to convert your headlights to projector or HID:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-05...QQcmdZViewItem

Has anyone bought one? Are they any good, or is more of a toy and in the end I'll end up going back to my original headlights?

If anyone has any information, it would certainly be appreciated.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:34 PM
BAJI26
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like these and hope someone can give a positive review on them.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:32 PM
thehawk75
Junior User
Maybe I should rephrase the question, are kits like this a simple bolt on as the ad seems to imply, or, is there a lot more that needs to be done (i.e. different power requirements, therefor new wiring).

Old 10-19-2007, 02:57 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
For starters, it says they fit 2000-05. 05 headlights are unique and do not interchange with the earlier units.

Guys in the parts biz that I know, as well as some of the Mustang guys...have not had great luck with aftermarket headlights. They either discolor or let moisture in.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:08 PM
RACERX7775
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

you could always make your own like i did. 06 headlights with 07 range rover projectors.

Last edited by RACERX7775; 10-21-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:35 PM
BigFord74
Senior User
Those are pretty cool lights.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:11 PM
thehawk75
Junior User
I'm not the most talented in 'making' parts like that (I am good with wiring though), thus obviously was looking for more of a direct bolt on.

It just seems that those projector lights are for sale all over eBay, but, it seems none of the guys here have used them -- that in itself should steer me away from them.

Racer: What was involved in that conversion? Did you have to do a lot of 'cutting' ? Which parts did you use?

Also, do you have high-beams still?

Old 10-21-2007, 06:43 PM
FordCrusherGT
Senior User
I think those headlights would look great in an Excursion. I think my bigger question would be how good are they. I find the factory headlights are pretty bad, but I have also not had the best of luck with aftermarket headlights. Then again, I may have just gotten bad ones.

At $110, that's really not a bad price for an exerpiment. If you find that they work great, I would certianly go out and buy some. I would be most interested in a full HID setup, but these would be really neat looking.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:03 PM
thehawk75
Junior User
Problem is, it's not just $110, there's the $40 shipping as well. I personally wouldn't want to be spending $150 on an experiment.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:22 PM
expeditionheat
New User
RACER, that is unreasonably good looking

Old 10-23-2007, 01:21 PM
RACERX7775
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks guys. as for cutting? holy crap, tons, and time , time , time. you have to cmpletely tear the entire housing apart. i then had to cut the heck out of the factory reflectorand secured the projector with some stainless nuts and bolts. then aiming was also a pain. and very time consuming too. after they were aimed, i painted the insides with black plastic paint. there are shrouds on the ends of the projectors that cover the sides up. those were also a cut t fit. they are for a chrysler crossfire. painted them too. then resealed the housingsand did the wiring for the ballsats and high beam solenoids. they are bi-xenon projectors from a 07 range rover. the bulbs and ballasts are from an 07 caddy srx. they are a d1s bulb. the entire project wound up costing me about $350. and thats not counting the extra set of 06 headlight assemblies i had to buy from ford so i could do the project with a set of headlights in the truck.again, they are bi xenon. so i have high beams. and they are WAY better than the stock lights. thats because with a reflector housing, it spreads the light in all directions. with a projector, the light is directed it a specific area. the high beams are just rediculous. oh, and i have yet to anyone flash their lights at me. thats becaused they are aimed properly. i would't try those hid kits either. a reflector housing isn't made to have those bulbs in them. some people who have them say, wow, they are so bright, well, thats because the reflector is spreading the light all over. not where the light is needed. they are junk..........

Old 10-23-2007, 02:25 PM
6686L
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"factory headlights are pretty bad"

Originally Posted by FordCrusherGT
I think those headlights would look great in an Excursion. I think my bigger question would be how good are they. I find the factory headlights are pretty bad, but I have also not had the best of luck with aftermarket headlights. Then again, I may have just gotten bad ones.

At $110, that's really not a bad price for an exerpiment. If you find that they work great, I would certianly go out and buy some. I would be most interested in a full HID setup, but these would be really neat looking.
Too bad this fellow's Excursion wasnt made back here on Planet Earth in the Ford factory. My Excursion was made back here on Planet Earth in the Ford factory. Its factory headlight system is pretty durn good. My ranch is in northern arizona, at the end of four miles of dirt (road) (more like a cow-track, which is what it really is...!). To get home, before I get to the cow-track, I have about 10 miles of two lane highway. No lights. When properly adjusted, my "factory" headlamps are pretty damn impressive.

Yes, it is possible to get brighter lighting. For example, there are 12 volt aircraft landing lights that would be even brighter. Trouble is, in many states, if a law officer catches you with those, they often have the authority, and DO use it, to declare a vehicle with that kind of glaring headlight to be a public safety hazzard. Your vehicle gets impounded, and flat-bedded to the impound yard, where you may be allowed to drive it to the nearest shop (probably owned by Billy Bob) where "factory" legal headlamps can be installed to get your "Certificate Of Compliance".

I strongly recommend ANYONE who is contemplating buying a Ford Excursion, to only buy one built in the factory back here on Planet Earth. That way, you can be assured of getting the same kind of headlamps that are on my Excursion, again, MORE than adequate for SANE speed driving.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:01 PM
FordCrusherGT
Senior User
Originally Posted by 6686L
Too bad this fellow's Excursion wasnt made back here on Planet Earth in the Ford factory.
I'm not sure what this "Planet Earth" thing you're speaking of is. I live in Pennsylvania on a road that is barely marked off of a road that isn't marked on a road that is poorly marked. I have to drive on 5 miles of twisty, deer-filled back roads before I get to something resembling a highway. So, perhaps my standards are a bit different than yours. These headlights are fine for the highway, but believe me when I say that where I live, that's not good enough.

My old '95 Suburban's lighting was about the same when I got it. I upgraded its headlight system by making the low beams stay on with the high beams, and then added some driving lights. Then I could see things well.

Also, your truck's headlights may just genuinely work better than mine. Differences may exist between our trucks, I certainly don't consider that to be out of the question.

Anyways, my point is that I am interested in upgrading the headlights on my truck. The philosophy of "It's fine" really doesn't work for me when it's the difference between seeing a deer so I can stop in time and smashing into it.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:11 PM
CalEx4x4
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another Choice:

Have you tried Sylvania Silverstars? They are easy to find and only about $40-$50 a pair, legal almost everywhere.
The California Highway Patrol is known for catching illegal mods, or at least those that aren't DOT approved out here on the Left Coast.
I have Silverstars on my '86 E-150, '03 Bonneville, '06 E-450, and my Excursion. First (affordable) mod that I do. Without exception they improved visibility (range and clarity) 50-100% on all of my vehicles, and the light is whiter than the stock lamps. Just an option you might think about.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:55 PM
FordCrusherGT
Senior User
I had Silverstars in my Town Car and noticed a significant improvement with those, I was thinking of getting a set for my Excursion as well. But if some of these other lights are actually better, I'd rather go for those.

Quick Reply: Opinions Needed: Projector Headlights on an X