6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Draining Water Separator

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question guys, right now I own a 2005 SD V10 and I was thinking about getting Diesel
in my next truck, I never owned a diesel before, what is a water separator?
Does it have to be drained everyday? Also do I have to use an additve everytime I fuel up? How about the oil changes every 3000 miles/3 months?
Thanks ~Gage~

Old 10-01-2007, 09:08 PM
RangerEdgeO2
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gage2502
Question guys, right now I own a 2005 SD V10 and I was thinking about getting Diesel
in my next truck, I never owned a diesel before, what is a water separator?
Does it have to be drained everyday? Also do I have to use an additve everytime I fuel up? How about the oil changes every 3000 miles/3 months?
Thanks ~Gage~
Diesel/Water separator is just that, it separates the water from the diesel so the engine gets "pure" diesel instead of diesel/water mix.

They say to drain it once a month, people go thousands of miles and then change it, some once a year or more. I check it every oil change (5000 miles). The amount of water in your fuel is related to the quality of fuel you use (if you fill up diesel from a station that doesn't have diesel pumped a lot, your fuel will have more water in it).

You don't have to use an additive (cetane booster) but most people do b/c it actually works, it improves gas mileage and lubes injectors.

Oil changes for the 6.4L are every year or 10k miles (for normal operation) or 200 hours engine work or 5000 miles ("Special" operation) whichever comes first.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:47 PM
G BOBKA
Senior User
If you ar looking at the motor. From the front look over the top and see black cowling. Remove that snd that gets you to the fule fillter.

small yellow lever to open catch fule in cup or bucket. If it id not bad poor it back in the tank

Old 10-01-2007, 09:47 PM
G BOBKA
Senior User
If you ar looking at the motor. From the front look over the top and see black cowling. Remove that snd that gets you to the fule fillter.

small yellow lever to open catch fule in cup or bucket. If it id not bad poor it back in the tank

Old 10-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Super Blue F350
Junior User
Thanks for the info

Old 10-02-2007, 09:33 AM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks guys for the info on the diesel engine, might be my next truck.
~Gage~

Old 01-19-2010, 07:16 AM
badhunt
New User
Is it in the same location on a 2007 6.0 350 ?
Thanks

Old 01-19-2010, 07:48 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,014 Posts
fuel water separator on the truck under the drivers side of the cab in the frame rail. Not too bad of a location. Just put a small hose on the drain and then it will flow right into a bucket.

Changing the filter is a little more difficult because of the wiring where you take the filter out, but very easy to do yourself.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:19 AM
superdutysquirrel
Junior User
the first time i drained my sep. i had a steady stream of fuel after a small amount of water. the next couple times only a couple drops of fuel came out. i asked my ford dealer about this when i had my truck serviced and the mech. told me he had a full stream come out when he opened it, and he had never heard of only a couple drops coming out. if someone knows the reason only a few drops would come out please let us know. obviously the gasoline mechanics a my local ford dealer have no idea....

Old 01-19-2010, 08:23 AM
superdutysquirrel
Junior User
also an empty soda bottle is perfect to catch the water/fuel from the sep.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:41 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by superdutysquirrel
the first time i drained my sep. i had a steady stream of fuel after a small amount of water. the next couple times only a couple drops of fuel came out. i asked my ford dealer about this when i had my truck serviced and the mech. told me he had a full stream come out when he opened it, and he had never heard of only a couple drops coming out. if someone knows the reason only a few drops would come out please let us know. obviously the gasoline mechanics a my local ford dealer have no idea....
Most likely the drain was plugged from the bottom due to debris.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:47 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You know, I have been thinking. Sometimes it is hard to get fluid to flow out of this separator. Last time I did it, no problems but it does hang up now and then.

Debris, yes. I had a fair amount of mud colored fluid come out and I have had a bit of sand in the fuel too at times. This could be.

Vapor lock, I think this could happen too. Kinda like dumping a water bottle upside down, the only water that comes out is whatever gets displaced by gulps of air being sucked in. I don't know how the fuel system is vented but I wonder if taking the fuel filler cap off will aid in the free flow of fuel/water?

Old 07-31-2011, 01:28 PM
bterry
Elder User
Mine just dribbled - first time thats happened to me. I used a small wire to attempt to clean debris, but there was none in there. So I fired the truck up and drained it while running, took a second, but it started to flow. I then shut the truck off and drained it again, this time good flow. Very little water (1/4 teaspoon max). I drain it at least every 5k, but also have the truck serviced at the dealer and presume he drains it as well.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:47 PM
Tan_Hands
Freshman User
I am glad I saw this post. I have had mine since the Summer of lov, wait the Summer of 08 and now that I read this thread I remember them telling to do this. I have owned Big Diesels for a long time but sort of let it slip my mind. I will go check this evening.
And as far as what to do with it I will pour mine in my neighbors yard to make a couple inch barrier so his grass will stop growing into my yard.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:59 PM
weyland426
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am in water separator hell. getting drain warning, the "wrench" and limp mode all the time. had it in the shop mutiple times and just got a new sensor installed. previously a drain would give me about a pint and allow for normal operation for about 20 miles before i got the warning again. just tonight i let it drain and got more than a gallon before i finally shut if off. i'm sick of this **** and just wondering if the sensor can be bypassed or disabled. going back to the dealer next week.

Quick Reply: Draining Water Separator