1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody 1961, 1962 and 1963 Ford F100 Unibody trucks

How'd you get your truck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 01:01 AM
no1lowr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was working on a 67 chevy c10, and my buddies uncle had the unibody just sitting, i loved the lines of it. i found out that the ford f100 from 61-66 was the same wheelbase and track width as my chevy and i had already built a custom chassis for the chevy, so i picked up the ford and started working on the body, im not using anything but the sheetmetal so its a nice project. just got it sandblasted and down to the metal work, shaving firewall, building a one off bed floor and wheel tubs at the moment, then need to mount the body and it should be well on its way to worthy.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:47 AM
tbm3fan
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Some one mentioned wishing he had gotten a grandpa truck. Well I got my pa's car the '68 Cougar when I turned 16. I got my grandpa's car when he could no longer drive, the '67 Parklane. I got the '68 Mustang, because hell I always wanted a Mustang since 16. I got the '65 F100 a year ago after getting a house. Don't the two go together a truck and a house. Move lumber need a truck. Take old lumber to dump need a truck and so forth. So I looked and found one in Craigslist. Could have been anything from 1960 - 1970 and just so happened a '65 came up. Mechanically needed work but the body panels were all perfect. Doesn't need mechanical work anymore so now it is on to the cosmetics. A restored '66 dash is due in soon and will get some NOS gauges besides my original speedo. After that will be new upholstery and a paint job with NOS weatherstriping all around.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:51 AM
greythorn3
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
stoled

I stoled all my trucks with a screwdriver and a hammer..

Ray

Old 09-06-2007, 10:55 AM
slow64
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by greythorn3
I stoled all my trucks with a screwdriver and a hammer..

Ray
That's awesome... By the way, I want my Ferrari back.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:32 AM
IsoGrifo
Elder User
Got mine off my ex-girlfriends dad. Still good friends with the family and all, Was still goin out with the girl at the time I bought it. One day I was at their house and playin video games with her little brother, just to pass some time. He turns to me and say, Have you ever seen my dad's car? I had heard about it, but just that it was an old orange 60's car, it was always car. So When I said no, he took me to the garage, and there it was, wo-tone orange and white, long bed, custom cab, 65 F-100! Absolutely th most beautiful truck I had everseen. Before that I was trying to find a 1914 Model t truck, found one for 3 grand, but didn't have the money. anyway, the dad told me he was thinking about maybe selling it, I was 16 at the time, called my dad and asked if it was ok to sell it to me, I worked for like 6 months to get the 1200 for it, bought it, and just got it running 11 months later, haha

Old 09-07-2007, 11:57 AM
bertha66
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I call a local Ford Dealer and said that I was looking for a 66 F100 4x4, this was in 1979, they called me back about a month later and said they had one on the lot for $695, got for $500. Still driving it.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:32 PM
airharley
Postmaster
I bought mine from one of the officers that was moving on to a new duty station. He was actually talking to someone else in the room when I over heard the conversation. The other guy was wishy washy and I declared that I would definately buy it once I raised the cash. He gave me a payment option to be able to get it sooner. It was a total wreck when I first saw it. Misc junk, old tires, and even carpet from a 2 year ago remodel job. The brakes were siezed and the water pump was leaking just sitting there. I spent $200 on parts and had it up and running the next week. I drove it to work and I could see in his eyes that it was a mistake. I told him I would sell it back to him for twice the price. He laughed at first then tried pleading with his wife on the phone a couple of hours later. He said he had forgotten how nice it looked driving down the raod. I thought that was funny. When I arrived here in CA there were a few old timer Marines that remembered the truck back in the late 80's. I heard all sorts of stories from them on what they had done in the truck and with which girl. It was pretty rewarding to hear all of it. Knowing that there was more to the history then what little I heard from the PO.

Everything else is history...

Old 09-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
Semper Fi Air!! Well, I have 2 slicks, and have owned and sold 2 others. My first one was granpa's truck, a 66 F-100 LB 390/4speed, but my older brother borrowed it once, put it in the ditch, then I abused the poor girl for 6 yrs. in the Corps, but she never did leave me stranded, bought another slick when I got to El Toro, took all the good stuff off my 1st one and put on it, did the disc brakes, power steering al that stuff, was my daily driver, then we bought a house and wife said no go to my first one, sold it to junkyard, still had #2, then bought and drove and sold a few more trucks, (had 5 p/u's at one point and time, YES all running) Always wanted another 4 speed, saw my current "Bessie" for sale in SFV and bought her for $1500, dirty but no rust and have left most everything stock, except for the 352 which I chucked in favor of my 300 I6. And then I came across Mater my new 63 and my wife thinks I am crazy,,,, I love the look of the old trucks, sold my 99 Super duty last year because I bought my 77 4x4 F-150. Old trucks Rule!

Old 09-07-2007, 09:53 PM
fordnut forever
Postmaster
How'd you get your truck?

was at a machinery sale and first vehicle up was a 66 one ton, yellow and hood was sprung and chained down,they said it would run,well,i ended up with it for 200 bucks,undone the chain and low and behold was a 300 6cyl,clifford intake,4 barrel carb,headers,4spd, jumped started it and drove it home,doing a roller paint job on it now,JD yellow,its in my gallery,fun truck

Old 09-08-2007, 12:29 AM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Guys, this is how I came to own mine. I did some painting for Betty Walker here in Tucson, and there it sat in her driveway, she was driving a new explorer and did not drive it or want to sell it at first, she told me that it was the only "New" truck her father bought. I let her know if ever she decided to sell I would buy it. A few months later I got a call from her, She told me that she didn't know the value of it. I told her that she could have it appraised. Well that was wrong to tell her. I cant tell you how much I paid for it (My wife dosent even know) ha ha. that was more than 5 years ago and I do not regret buying the truck. as of today she has 122200. orignal miles 240 3spd short bed wimbeldon white. well now I have 3 trucks and I have a good obsession with these trucks, This is the truck that replaced My E100 P/U I reget selling that one! In fact I looked at another one today More $ than Brains
they are in my galleries check um out.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:44 AM
Scifi266
Senior User
1966 F250

When i was ten my step dad brought a 60 f100 from an auction home. We already had a 64 f250, a 63 uni, a 65 f250, and a 71 f250. I told him that I wanted a truck when i got my liscence so he gave me the 60. When i turned 16 we were trying to get the 60 up and running but everything was going wrong(broken parts, no parts, couldn't find parts). So while we were walking through pick'n'pull we saw them bring in the 66 on the forklift, my heart stopped. She was in perfect condition save a few dings and dents, my step dad must have realized why I stopped walking. He went up to bob, the owner, and said a grand for the truck. Save for a bent drive line she was perfect. Now all i'm doing is getting her in good shape, after her i might get started on the 60 hmm... another project?

Last edited by Scifi266; 09-08-2007 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:21 AM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

My story is like a lot of my fellow FTEers. My truck was bought new by my grandfather in 66(it was a 65 end of stock truck) My grandfather chose it over a 66 because it had not smog pump. When he passed in 69 the truck went to my father, I fell in love with the truck as an 11 year old boy. It was the first truck I drove to high school when I got my license. My dad always told me that I would get the truck when he passed. So about 5 years ago cancer took him from us and I trailered her home from Oregon. She was originaly bought in Fresno Ca and now lives in Turlock CA. After a lot of work I turned her into a daily driver. She is now retired due to my new 2007 F-150. I have vowed that I will brake tradition and she is going to my youngest son before I go. It was my fathers wish that the truck went to my youngest son and that is where she is going some day when he has room for her. She still has her original 352 with 4 speed granny. I have upgraded the brakes and ignition to more modern safer equipment and she tows the boat to the lake with no problems. It will be nice to see this truck go to the fourth generation, my son who is 20 years old. I had to wait until I turned 44.

This truck has never been on a tow truck due to a break down, gotta love a Ford.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:37 PM
slow64
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jd_sylvia
My story is like a lot of my fellow FTEers. My truck was bought new by my grandfather in 66(it was a 65 end of stock truck) My grandfather chose it over a 66 because it had not smog pump. When he passed in 69 the truck went to my father, I fell in love with the truck as an 11 year old boy. It was the first truck I drove to high school when I got my license. My dad always told me that I would get the truck when he passed. So about 5 years ago cancer took him from us and I trailered her home from Oregon. She was originaly bought in Fresno Ca and now lives in Turlock CA. After a lot of work I turned her into a daily driver. She is now retired due to my new 2007 F-150. I have vowed that I will brake tradition and she is going to my youngest son before I go. It was my fathers wish that the truck went to my youngest son and that is where she is going some day when he has room for her. She still has her original 352 with 4 speed granny. I have upgraded the brakes and ignition to more modern safer equipment and she tows the boat to the lake with no problems. It will be nice to see this truck go to the fourth generation, my son who is 20 years old. I had to wait until I turned 44.

This truck has never been on a tow truck due to a break down, gotta love a Ford.
Turlock? I'm a Patterson guy and am always in your neck of the woods (Home Depot, Costco...) I'll keep an eye out for ya if you bring her out of retirement.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:08 AM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

She comes out every now and than and is still multi colored, do you drive yours around Turlock? If so I will look for you.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:48 PM
62F100Unibody
New User
I traded a 89 Toyota pickup for my 62 Ford Unibody.

Quick Reply: How'd you get your truck?