1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody 1961, 1962 and 1963 Ford F100 Unibody trucks

How'd you get your truck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:14 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Knowing how the crowd here is I too was a chevy guy. I actually went to this guys house to look at a 62 chevy P/U, had to climb over the 64 f100 to get to his back yard only to find the biggest pile of cr#& I had ever seen. The 64 was between his house and the fence so we literally had to climb up and over her to get to the back yard. Anyway while climbing back over I was touched by something greater then you and I can explain, so I asked about the 64 I was told it ran but had no reverse nor can will it go into park, but he would sell it. I picked it up for $600.00. Found out the steering column was put back together wrong. I worked her like you would any ford truck. (Darn good Work Trucks) When all my projects were done I decided to fix her up. What's in my gallery is what she looks like now. Ford Forever the 61-66 have awsome body lines. The 64 being the stepchild of them all, made me want to fix her up even more. The long bed was an added bonus I would'nt trade it in for any other make she's perfect in my eyes.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:17 PM
lucky13
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I guess im the odd man out. I'm a mopar guy. I got my 62 F100 from my Father in Law. He went out and bought a Toyota Sequoia (sp?),ugh, and wanted the F100 gone. I had to drive 450miles and then tow it back to my house, but i think it was worth it! I have lots of plans for it, although they'd probably ruffle a few feathers so i'll keep it quiet for now.

Brian

Old 09-04-2007, 10:59 PM
LM14
Senior User
Got my '57 Short bed from internet shopping. Found it on a local newspaper site and went to look. Ended up buying another the guy had and not the one I went after. $750 running and driving. Everything worked. That's the one I'm stripping down now for a total rebuild.

My '61 short bed unibody was an EBAY deal. $202.50 and only 90 miles from home. Not sure where we are headed on this one yet. Still exploring options.

SPark

Old 09-05-2007, 01:12 AM
customcab66
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got mine out of the local paper. My dad has had on efor about 30 years. I had one when I turned 16 it was a 61 but my ex-father-inlaw sold it while I was away for the navy. I bought my now 66 custom cab about three years ago and have little to no work on it. The old truck has less than 50k on it. I only gave $600 for it and it ran when I bought it.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:19 AM
PROSTOCK
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
First house my new wife and I lived in had a strange, and I mean strange guy living accross the street. He had a '65 F250 with the front end propped up on jackstands presumably to drain the water out of the bed. It never moved, and actually was covered in moss. One day I noticed it was back off the jackstands and he had removed the huge side mirros. Curiosity got the best of me and I walked over to present myself hoping for the best. Guy told me someone was coming to look at it (I didn't know it was for sale). I asked him a little about it, looked it over and asked what he wanted for it. $200, "I'll be right back!". Made the exchange and pushed the beast accross the steet. This is a rust free, very straight '65 w/ a COM 352, and dealer installed air. That was 11 years ago, and a few hundred bucks in upgrades. Used to be my daily driver until 3 years ago, and now serves faithfully as a home improvement enabler!

Old 09-05-2007, 09:21 AM
magee
Elder User
Originally Posted by lucky13
Well, I guess im the odd man out. I'm a mopar guy. I got my 62 F100 from my Father in Law. He went out and bought a Toyota Sequoia (sp?),ugh, and wanted the F100 gone. I had to drive 450miles and then tow it back to my house, but i think it was worth it! I have lots of plans for it, although they'd probably ruffle a few feathers so i'll keep it quiet for now.

Brian
HEMI!!!!! Oh, shhhhhhhhhhh......

Old 09-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
I had a '78 F-100 that was the best truck I ever owned, but the body was rusting right off it. I was first gonna redo the '78 but realized I would never get my money out of a redone '78, so I went looking for a Mercury.

First one I saw, was not for sale but exactly what i wanted, a '68 Mercury Ranger shortbox. First and last one I have *EVER* seen. I looked for about 9 months for a bumpside shortbox Merc, but NEVER found one. Then , in the local paper, my '64 Merc, a local truck, never lived farther than 15 miles from the dealership that sold it came up. Snagged it up right away.
In went the engine from the '78, and the rest, as they say , is history.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:57 PM
magee
Elder User
Not to hi-jack, but, Ringo where did you get that fuel tank setup on the Merc? Looks similar to the one on my Bronco.

Oh wait! I figured it out! It's from a Toyota Mustang, right?

Seriously, though, what did it belong to?

Old 09-05-2007, 02:31 PM
lucky13
New User
Originally Posted by magee
HEMI!!!!! Oh, shhhhhhhhhhh......
right idea, wrong engine though

Old 09-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by magee
Not to hi-jack, but, Ringo where did you get that fuel tank setup on the Merc? Looks similar to the one on my Bronco.

Oh wait! I figured it out! It's from a Toyota Mustang, right?

Seriously, though, what did it belong to?
It's a Bronco 2 tank, with a ranger filler to a 78 f100 gas door I have in the side of the fleetside Cameo

Old 09-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well; I guess i'm alittle different; A buddy of mine saw a 66 swb at a local business not for sale; He told me about it; I drove across town and view it from a distance.. As most folks who know me I'll approach anyone to speak too; I walk into the business ask who own the old primer truck; the office lady told me and the gentleman came out side; I ask if he ever though about selling it, and he told be yes; but it was up to his wife; I told him to let me know and I buy it. I didn't even know if it was an automatic or manual; I was so amaze in the body condition and fell in love. After recieving a phone call that he would sell it; did I know it was a 65 and an automatic. (had a 66 grill inserted ). I find most of my trucks thru friends and family; basically known at my fire department as the old Ford truck guy.
Get into alot of heat from my wife in finding old trucks and bringing them home; kinda like the little boy bringing home stray cats.

Mitch

Old 09-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well; I guess I'm alittle different; A buddy of mine saw a 66 swb at a local business not for sale; He told me about it; I drove across town and view it from a distance.. As most folks who know me I'll approach anyone to speak too; I walk into the business ask who own the old primer truck; the office lady told me and the gentleman came out side; I ask if he ever though about selling it, and he told be yes; but it was up to his wife; I told him to let me know and I buy it. I didn't even know if it was an automatic or manual; I was so amaze in the body condition and fell in love. After recieving a phone call that he would sell it; did I know it was a 65 and an automatic. (had a 66 grill inserted ). I find most of my trucks thru friends and family; basically known at my fire department as the old Ford truck guy.
Get into alot of heat from my wife in finding old trucks and bringing them home; kinda like the little boy bringing home stray cats.
Its in my Gallery

Mitch

Old 09-05-2007, 05:47 PM
slow64
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Customcab
Well; I guess I'm alittle different; A buddy of mine saw a 66 swb at a local business not for sale; He told me about it; I drove across town and view it from a distance.. As most folks who know me I'll approach anyone to speak too; I walk into the business ask who own the old primer truck; the office lady told me and the gentleman came out side; I ask if he ever though about selling it, and he told be yes; but it was up to his wife; I told him to let me know and I buy it. I didn't even know if it was an automatic or manual; I was so amaze in the body condition and fell in love. After recieving a phone call that he would sell it; did I know it was a 65 and an automatic. (had a 66 grill inserted ). I find most of my trucks thru friends and family; basically known at my fire department as the old Ford truck guy.
Its in my Gallery

Mitch

?yo soy bombero?
Me too...
Travis

Old 09-05-2007, 08:23 PM
kstones63
Senior User
My 63 was purchased by my dad in 1972. My wife and I went on dates in this truck. My dad restored the truck back original and finally sold it sometime in the early 90's. It was flawless when it was sold to a friend of my brothers. He then sold it to his brother-in-law who ended up in jail and needed some bail money so I bought it back about 6 years ago. It was not in near the condition that it was in when my dad sold it. I am slowly rebuilding it to make it better than it ever was(lowered, V-8, digital gauges, P/W, Air, P/S,Cruise & on & on). The way I wished it was when I hated driving it.
This truck when done will go in the will so that the kids can't ever sell it.
My dad is 82 now so hopefully I will get it done soon so he can enjoy it some.
Kevin
kstones63
__________________________________________________ _____________________
63 F100 Project
29 Ford Sedan Delivery
99 F250 SD, Diesel, CC, 4x4
95 F350 Flatbed Dually

Old 09-05-2007, 10:26 PM
ol yeller
Elder User
Got mine from a buddy. Paid $600 for it in 93. He got it off a CA farmer when he broke down in Northern CA. He saw it a few miles back right before his truck burnt up. Said it was worth the walk. Finally found a donor truck so I think I have enough to fix it up nice.

Quick Reply: How'd you get your truck?