N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Rib Cookoff Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 02:27 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WillyB
That would be great if we could build a stove under it - a roasting rack. Maybe a drawer that pulled out from the other side?
Great idea ....

Would the tires be in the way for cooking? NOPE Inboard like a camping trailer and maybe a smaller diameter for something like this. They don't need to carry a lot of load so maybe 10" wheels would works?

We need our master chef to speak up and tell us what we need! It is his cooker.
Yep, I agree. His input is key .....
Sorry for the lousy sketch .... It' was a quick 3min one for me as I was on the way out the door for the FIL B-Day Party. He couldn't believe I installed carpeting.... but, he loved it.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:40 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
Originally Posted by TigerDan
But I had another thought. I was watching "Gone in 60 Seconds" (the recent one) last night and saw a cool BBQ right at the end of the movie. It was built out of the front end of a Firebird. We could build one out of the front end of a Bumpside, have wheels to tow it in the front wheel wells and when you pop the hood, there's the grill.

Like this:

To this:

Old 09-11-2007, 02:44 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
That was my first thought for a BBQ as well. I actually think if we don't need a smoker. This would be the cool way to go..... Or, can we modify it into a smoker. It would be pretty easy to install on a frame and throw on a hitch. Most likely an easier project than the other.

I.....I ...... Like it !!!!!!

Last edited by Mecinoid; 09-11-2007 at 02:46 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:01 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
No! Not a chance. Not those fenders! Use your own, not thumpers!

Old 09-11-2007, 03:10 AM
AnOldDog
Elder User
The smoker will need a separate fire box, and the chimney(s) need to have some way to control the exhaust. A grill underneath might be possible, I'll have to give that some thought. It will need some kind of baffle plate to evenly distribute the heat and smoke throughout the whole smoke chamber. The firebox needs some method to regulate the amount of air that feeds the fire so that temperature can be controlled.

Multiple doors to access the smoking chamber would be better than one big door. The smoker can be opened a little bit for basting and such, without releasing as much heat.

There are a bunch of details, but that is a start.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:18 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User

Well, at least our P/U trucks have a nice place for the tools along each side of the compartment.

Didn't think for a smoker it would work too well. For a BBQ it would be pretty awesome though.

Last edited by Mecinoid; 09-11-2007 at 04:21 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:24 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
I was thinking maybe three separate cookers - a BBQ grill, a roaster, and a smoker. If we put the grill across the back of a trailer we could make the cooking area a comfortable height when standing on the ground, and use a hood from a bumper side as the top.

We could use 10 gage for the sheet metal sides, to match the bump sides.
Forgive the crude drawing as I do not have a good drawing program, but we could lay out a trailer like the drawing below.

Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2007, 07:09 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
I've been talking about a BBQ pit. In other words, a smoker. If what you guys want is a grill, it is cheaper and easier to go down to "Smart and Final" and pick up a grill. or even rent one at your local party supply place. It will be about 4'x6' with a 4" deep charcoal tray. The grate will be adjustable up or down from about 4"-12". Load it up with charcoal and cook all the burgers and brats you want.

It isn't BBQ, but you can feed a crowd.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:05 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know if you guys remember the guy that I mentioned earlier, about the bump side bed sitting on a 2X4 frame for sale, but I think he may still have it.
I found a buyer for his bed/frame/axle combo once and he didn't follow through with the purchase. He must have some kind of attachment with his stuff.... I think that if he knew his bed/frame would go to a worthy cause, he would probably go for a donation....???... If it's still there anyhow.
If you guys think that the truck bed, axle and frame might make a nice rolling BBQ, to be towed behind Thumper, matching in color/theme, then I will call Paul and see if it is still available.
That might be a cool combo, our mudder and a rolling BBQ to match???