1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

some more lame questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 08:52 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
some more lame questions

i was wondering if any of you have lowered your trucks by removing some of the leaves, front and rear . i am going to try this and swear i saw a post recently here on it but no luck trackin' it . im not concerned with it hauling a great big load , just wondering about ride quality , handling , and our dear freind bump steer . so if any one has any input slap me with it . oh yeah going to remove overloads and all but the top two or three of the rear springs and one or two of the top of the fronts . going to get my steelies { and retake the photos for you fomoko that my beloved erased from the digital camera !} paint 'em white and put some 225 75 15's on the front , 235 75 15's on the rear whitewalls of course . like the buick hubcaps and the way they look !

Old 08-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Thanks for keeping me in mind, I still haven`t got back to that project.
Sorry I can`t help you with your lowering question, I plan to remove some leaves as well to lower my truck too.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:38 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Removing every other leaf in the stock spring pack is a tried and true method to lower a truck and improve the ride. You will likely need some caster shims when you do this to bring the alignment back to a suitable range. There is complete instuctions in the Mid Fifty catalog where you'll also find the caster shims and longer headed centerbolts that you may also need.
Be careful disassembling a leaf spring pack, they may look peaceful sitting there but there is quite a lot of preload built in that could cause serious injury.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:49 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Be advised that the more leafs you remove, the less suspension travel you'll have also. Especially in the front. I'm running 4 leafs in the front and had 3 at one point, which made my axle hit the frame on the slightest little bump. I wouldn't want to go any less than 4. 2 leafs in the rear is extreme and you shouldn't go less than 3 in the rear. If you want to get lower, I'd advise going with a reverse eye main spring. There is plenty of write ups on that subject with other ways of lowering without sacrificing your ride. You can do a search. As far as bump steer???? I don't know what that is?????? LOL....

Old 08-21-2007, 04:31 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well your replies and the thread from novatatoo nipped that one pretty quick .im a notorious tight a-- when it comes to spending the dough besides actually having a working mans budget so ... i geuss i'll break down and buy the dropped axle and dispose of the over loads and a few leaves out of the rear and that should get me the desired results . another thing for the wish list !! that will be my excuse for doin the discs etc . too buying a new axle { besides the safety issue } . thanks once again guy's you kept me from doin' something just because it appeared to be the easiest / cheapest way to go and possibly make a big mistake .