6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Threat to the 6.4??

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:10 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ford still prevails were it matters, and i'll still help those little chubby guys out when they cant pull somthing big or haul a big load when they realy need a truck.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:06 AM
encourager
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Each of us are cut from different molds. I wouldn't waste my time on a Chevy or Dodge board. I am looking for information related to the vehicle I own. I will attack that product, if it deserves it, very quickly.

The fact that I don't care to have third party or non-owner input is related to my lack of trust for their motivation. Snide comments with bragadocious intentions aren't helpful to me.

As a new owner, I must say I like everything I have experienced with the 2008 F350 King Ranch Crew Cab 4X4 6.4 L DRW, with the exception of the MPG. I had expected to have some drop from the mileage I got with the 2002 F250 CC longbox, but I did not expect a 35% drop, from 19-20 MPG to 12.1 MPG. The 8.1 MPG towing my 12,000 lb fifth wheel was shockingly low.

Excuse me if I doubt the espoused mileage reported by some of my peers. It sounds to me as if they are very inconsistant in filling their tank and get false readings as to amount of fuel used. Either that or they are just fabricating info or maybe deluded.

If my truck suddenly gets increased MPG over time, I will be happy to eat the crow. But for now I believe all the high mileage reports are untrustworthy.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:26 AM
voodoolord
Senior User
I think having other truck enthusiasts on a site is a good ballance as long as they are not obnoxious or offensive. I personally have had a horrible experience with both my F350 and F250 diesels. I went through four transmissions before I said enough is enough. After having transmissions completly beefed up with larger trans coolers and heavy duty torque converters, planataries, shift kits I was still blowing transmissions. The 7.3 was the best motor Ford ever made but it remains to be seen whether they get their act together with their trans. Im on my first Chevy (pavement princess) and we'll see how it works out. By the way it rides so much smoother than my fords, I have I have to say Im impressed so far

Last edited by voodoolord; 08-31-2007 at 02:33 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:19 AM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by encourager

The fact that I don't care to have third party or non-owner input is related to my lack of trust for their motivation. Snide comments with bragadocious intentions aren't helpful to me.

The diff between a troll and somebody like me is that those threads where somebody does come here for actual help is really none of my buisness unless I actaully have some technical tid-bit I can offer else I let the experts do their job vs. troll will start bashing - which in my mind in unwarrented on any forum trying to offer help.

Last edited by DMAX-HD; 08-31-2007 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:12 AM
boertje
Senior User
I have owned them all. I currently have a 99 and 01 dodge, an 02 Ford and an 04 GMC...all diesel. The Dodges are solid as is the Ford. My next truck was going to be an 03 6.0 Ford until I observed 7 of the 13 Fords in the local dealer's lot had oil drops hanging from the bell housing so I decided on the 04 GMC. So far the GMC has been flawless and no injector issues. Was this GMC purchase wise with respect to the injector issues the early Dmaxes have? Time will tell. It sure is more comfortable than the Ford for driving across country and pulls my cow trailer with ease.
I test drove an 08 Ford and found it great. It was quiet, comfortable and has plenty of power. What keeps me from trading my GMC off is the fuel mileage issue. My GMC averages 17.5 on all kinds of mixed driving. My neighbor who farms about 6000 acres just replaced his 02 Ford 7.3 with the new 08. He loves the truck but hates the mileage he now gets (averages 9) and has made the decision to trade it off in 2 years in the hopes of getting something in diesel that is more economical.
Based on what I have read and the people I have talked to, if I were to buy a truck today I would buy the GMC LMM (chevy is just too ugly for me). Seems they have suffered the least on the fuel mileage issue of the big 3 and fuel consumption is a major factor for me.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:05 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by encourager
Then don't consider his posts. But, you will miss out on good information.

DMAX-HD has been here for some time is respected for his "outside-the-loop" commentary. He has not been and very likely never will be a troll. He often brings more to the table than those that would disregard him.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:09 AM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by voodoolord
I think having other truck enthusiasts on a site is a good ballance as long as they are not obnoxious or offensive. I personally have had a horrible experience with both my F350 and F250 diesels. I went through four transmissions before I said enough is enough. After having transmissions completly beefed up with larger trans coolers and heavy duty torque converters, planataries, shift kits I was still blowing transmissions. The 7.3 was the best motor Ford ever made but it remains to be seen whether they get their act together with their trans. Im on my first Chevy (pavement princess) and we'll see how it works out. By the way it rides so much smoother than my fords, I have I have to say Im impressed so far
Obviously you don't know anything, Ford didn't make the 7.3 international did Ford makes the transmissions i believe

Old 08-31-2007, 10:16 AM
eryoung
Tuned
Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Well I have always been a chevy guy up until I needed to tow a very heavy 5th wheel. So I bought my first Ford (see sig) I am now a proud Ford Truck Man. Will not be my last!!! (Want that 08 F-450 DRW Towing beast!!!)

Old 08-31-2007, 01:55 PM
voodoolord
Senior User
Originally Posted by mikeismadness
Obviously you don't know anything, Ford didn't make the 7.3 international did Ford makes the transmissions i believe
Im not sure where you are going with this little nugget of information that everyone allready knows but you just made my point for me. Its the transmissions I had a problem with not the motor.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:22 PM
encourager
New User
Before I purchased my Ford product, I researched, test drove, and visited forums for all three of the majors. Then I made my choice. Now I am no longer in the market . I am not shopping. I am not interested in what is going on with GM or Chrysler products. I am a "Ford Enthusiast". I want to address issues; good, bad, or ugly about Fords alone. To me the rest are absolutely irrelivant to my needs or interests.

I am not bashing anyone for what you think or believe. You are welcome to your ideology. If you own some other brand, I genuinely hope you have excellent service from your choice. I have no need or use for non-Ford commentary.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:13 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kw5413
Then don't consider his posts. But, you will miss out on good information.

DMAX-HD has been here for some time is respected for his "outside-the-loop" commentary. He has not been and very likely never will be a troll. He often brings more to the table than those that would disregard him.
I'm with you Keith. I recall past debates we all were involved in, regarding the 6.0, where Dmax maintained an objective point of view, with legitimate information.
He's far from a troll.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:22 PM
kimminau2
Elder User
Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
The diff between a troll and somebody like me is that those threads where somebody does come here for actual help is really none of my buisness unless I actaully have some technical tid-bit I can offer else I let the experts do their job vs. troll will start bashing - which in my mind in unwarrented on any forum trying to offer help.
I did not read this entire thread but I hope nobody was bashing DMAX, all of his posts that I have read have been good. I have not witnessed him bashing or trolling, and I think it is a good to have some opinions from the Dark Side on the forum. As long as they are constructive.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:31 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 421 Likes on 279 Posts
Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
Not out of the question of me having a Ford someday. Only thing scared me away this time was the 'initial' problems 'some' people had with the 6.0 (please note how I phrased that 6.0 owners - no blanket statement) and Ford / Internationals problems w/ each other. Plus I had good look with the previous DMax. But I've also had very good luck with 7.3's in the past. From what I've seen and heard those fears haven't come to any realization. Only thing that could be taken as a negative about the 6.4 is mpg vs. the other 2.

For the record I do belong to GM boards and there are some long time Ford and Cummins guys on some of those places and like me - they keep the conversations somewhat realistic in vs. threads and it's kinda nice to have a differant perspective.

That's not to say I can't be a lil 'combative' at times. But I've leaned it really doesn't do any good because I'm not really gonna change anybodies mind. Plus I've been on enough boards to hear every excuse or reason to own or not own each make of diesel pickup.
Well.... Ya' did help sway me to that dmax dark side for a bit...

In general you're pretty fair tho and I don't mind gettin' your goat ever once in awhile either (usually by playing my LLY overheater card ! )

Old 09-01-2007, 01:37 AM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by voodoolord
Im not sure where you are going with this little nugget of information that everyone allready knows but you just made my point for me. Its the transmissions I had a problem with not the motor.
well u said Ford motor, so i was making sure u understood

Old 09-01-2007, 07:58 AM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
Well.... Ya' did help sway me to that dmax dark side for a bit...

In general you're pretty fair tho and I don't mind gettin' your goat ever once in awhile either (usually by playing my LLY overheater card ! )
I do at times make myself suseptlable to 'goat' getting.

I think we just about killed this thread. Bottom line its true technically the Dmax has a lil higher ratings but to call it 'threat'. Next the powerstroke might be higher.

Quick Reply: Threat to the 6.4??