1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

DVD and stereo at the same time????

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 02:53 PM
cmachk
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking DVD and stereo at the same time????

Now Im really about to show my expy ignorance but I need to know... We have the wireless headphones for the 4 monkeys and they wanna watch their dvd but I wanna listen to music. How can I play the dvd through the headphones and the radio or ipod through the speakers

PS NO LAUGHING!

Old 08-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thought it was automatic once you selected rear audio controls. Once they put the headphones on (which BTW you can buy splitters so that everybody has a set. ) you should be able to get radio from the front speakers.

That's how it works in my Excursion anyway...

Old 08-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Dogwood36322
Senior User
I have played with this for the first time this past Monday. I was experiencing the same thing. Use the mode switch on the rear control and select dual play. Then select your choice for front using the steering wheel controls. At least that is what I did. The owners manuel is a little confusing, like the person who wrote it had not tried the instructions.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:22 PM
cmachk
Junior User
I appreciate the info! I was putting it in dual from the rear but when I would try to change to stereo from the panel it was not letting me. It would disable the sound from the movie totally. I will try that, thanks!

Old 08-15-2007, 04:07 AM
cmachk
Junior User
Just in case anyone was wondering I was playing with it and when I select dual audio and then hit the am fm button on the dash it will let the kids listen through the wireless and I can listen to whatever I want in the front

Old 08-15-2007, 09:41 PM
snowbilt
Junior User
Just a heads up don't even think about trying Sat Radio and DVD through headphones. The SAT uses the AUX output and DVD does as well. It is very annoying when you have your ipod in your ears while driving and the kid is watching a DVD in the back with the headphones.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:43 PM
mdntblu
Senior User
Once the monkeys have the DVD playing in the back press 2 & 4 at the same time on your dash headunit and then it will put it in dual play. Now you can listen to a CD, or Radio. Ipod will only work if you have a FM Modulator.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:08 AM
cmachk
Junior User
Thanks! I was always having to reach back there and feel around for it or try telling my 5 year old hit the one with the headphones!

Old 08-17-2007, 08:22 AM
snowbilt
Junior User
What I meant buy Ipod is physically using it not plugging it in through the stereo. MtnBlu is this Explorer specific or do you think it would work on the head unit in my navigator for SAT and DVD. It is the THX W Navigation. My understanding is Aux is used by SAT and DVD.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:37 AM
mdntblu
Senior User
Originally Posted by snowbilt
What I meant buy Ipod is physically using it not plugging it in through the stereo. MtnBlu is this Explorer specific or do you think it would work on the head unit in my navigator for SAT and DVD. It is the THX W Navigation. My understanding is Aux is used by SAT and DVD.
No this is not Explorer specific. It works on all the systems with read entertainment systems.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:22 AM
2000Expy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not believe the factory head units are designed to operate in more than one mode at once. Correct me if I'm wrong. It would require quite a complex system to process the digital data from two sources at once. I do believe that there are a/v output boxes that will allow you to connect more than one source to the AUX connection on the head unit, but that doesn't mean you can play a DVD and iPod simultaneously. When you start a thread it might be good to identify the vehicle and system installed.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:29 AM
cmachk
Junior User
THe kids can watch the dvd while i play my ipod through the FM transmitter Its GREAT!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Frat-man-du
Senior User
Originally Posted by mdntblu
Once the monkeys have the DVD playing in the back press 2 & 4 at the same time on your dash headunit and then it will put it in dual play. Now you can listen to a CD, or Radio. Ipod will only work if you have a FM Modulator.
I tried this on my 03 Exp and it didnt work - Ihave the factory Nav system. When I have the rear in dual mode the DVD goes to share and plays in the head phone and speakers. If I select the headphone/speaker button (on the front panel) the DVD stops. Same if I select the AM/FM button the DVD stops.

Just bout the Exp this summer and this past weekend was the first long trip and we tried everyting to stop the DVD from playing on the speakers but never could get it to stop.

I can get the rear headphone to go to radio, but the DVD still played on the speakers. THANK GOODNESS my kid is older and watches regular movies, no Barney or cartoons.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:35 AM
mdntblu
Senior User
Originally Posted by Frat-man-du
I tried this on my 03 Exp and it didnt work - Ihave the factory Nav system. When I have the rear in dual mode the DVD goes to share and plays in the head phone and speakers. If I select the headphone/speaker button (on the front panel) the DVD stops. Same if I select the AM/FM button the DVD stops.

Just bout the Exp this summer and this past weekend was the first long trip and we tried everyting to stop the DVD from playing on the speakers but never could get it to stop.

I can get the rear headphone to go to radio, but the DVD still played on the speakers. THANK GOODNESS my kid is older and watches regular movies, no Barney or cartoons.
After you press 2 & 4 you will hear the DVD out of the speakers but then you should be able to change the mode on the head unit to radio or CD and the rear should keep continuing to work in the headphones. That's how it works in my 03 Exped EB. I don't have the navigation so maybe it works different. I'm sure you manual tells how to do it. In fact my manual probably tells how to do it because they are all the same just have to look in different sections.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Frat-man-du
Senior User
Originally Posted by mdntblu
After you press 2 & 4 you will hear the DVD out of the speakers but then you should be able to change the mode on the head unit to radio or CD and the rear should keep continuing to work in the headphones. That's how it works in my 03 Exped EB. I don't have the navigation so maybe it works different. I'm sure you manual tells how to do it. In fact my manual probably tells how to do it because they are all the same just have to look in different sections.
Thanks for the data.

I tried the 2/4 buttons and there is no response or change. I checked the manual and it does say to press 2/4 but the pic is of the non- Nav system. The Nav supplement says to check the Owners manual for details, so no help there. - thanks Ford.

I can turn up the head set volume and turn down the speakers so I dont have to listen to it, but there has to be a way to get the radio/Cd player back under the main head unit control w/o turning off the DVD/AUX system.

Quick Reply: DVD and stereo at the same time????