1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Windshield Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 05:09 PM
houghda
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield Install

Does anyone know any tricks or tips to installing a 56 F100 windshield?

I have a lot of time and money in a truck that wont be worth a nickel without a windshield! ARGH!!!

Just had local reputable glass shop attempt an install on my 56 with a brand new Dennis Carpenter gasket (no bead).
The bottom, corners, pretty much everything fit, except the gasket wouldnt stay past the top lip all the way across for that final "pop". It kept "walking out"

Could it be the glass? The gasket (doubt it), the installer?

anyone had similar problem, seen it done?
Should the Top go in first?

Old 07-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have not installed any glass on these older trucks...yet...but I have installed windsheilds in my 79 F-150.

The rubber must be installed on the glass first, then wrap some heavy twine or thin rope around the rubber and glass starting and finishing at the same corner. Make sure the twine is placed between the outer seal and the inner lip (in middle of the rubber gasket) position the windsheild in the opening and have a helper place moderate pressure on the glass edge with their palms at the corner where the twine starts/ends.

Begin pulling the twine slowly and have the helper continue applying pressure to the glass following the leading edge of the twine. (it may also help to lubricate the twine with wax or a bar of soap prior to wrapping it around the rubber).

Once you think you have the windsheild in place and twine removed to the starting point make one more pass around the outter edge of the windsheild placing pressure from the outside and listen for the last pop then the windsheild should remain in place.

This has worked in the past for me but someone else may have a better solution for you.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:12 PM
peecubed
Senior User
I put mine in (1955 F-100) pretty much the same way. I glued the rubber to the glass, let it set up. Then I put a bead on both the rubber and the metal and spread it and let it tack. After that I laid a fresh bead on the metal and laid the window & rubber on to it. Inside the channel I had 1/8 in. cord set that I had soaked in dishwashing soap and I had squirted a little of the fluid into the channel as well. With someone pushing on the outside of the window I pulled out the cord from the inside of the cab, starting the pull at the top center and going both ways around (actually, maybe it was the bottom...I don't remember). The bead pulled around the metal channel and seated itself (it was messy, but it worked). Mine never 'poped' per say, but it doesn't leak and it seems to be seated. The rubber I used doesn't seem to have as deep a channel as the original had since the rubber doesn't extend as far up the metal lip on the inside as the original. My rubber was from mid fifty.
I was hesitant at first to do it myself, but it turned out to be fairly easy with an extra set of hands.

Last edited by peecubed; 07-10-2007 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:34 PM
houghda
Junior User
56 is harder!

Thanks for the reply, and please take no offense, 53-55 appear to be much easier than the wrap-around 56. I will admit I am not brave enough to attempt on my own ( a minor mistake in glass is called a crack). Windshields and transmissions will remain as members of the few things I wont attempt vice pay an expert.

Notice that I built my 56 on a 91 Explorer frame so fear and failure dont exist in my garage.

I appreciate any and all inputs. Will hopefully post a positive result soon.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:41 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've used the cord method on windshield simular to the 56, actually thats the onlt method I've used.
My new Trucks always go to the installer.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:39 AM
merc546
Posting Guru
It sounds like the installer. We did my 56 in about 5 minutes. Just used the 1/8 twine and dish soap, started from the middle of the bottom and had a friend help from the outside.

The rear window took about a half hour (it is a sliding window so maybe the alum frame was the real prob) upper left corner didn't want to seat but my friend helped it along with one of those plastic pieces that glass installers have.

Chuck

Old 07-11-2007, 08:37 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 613 Likes on 380 Posts
Are you thinking that the windshield opening is somehow tweaked because of the frame transplant? It seems highly doubtful, but it could be. Was there a windshield in it at any point after the transplant? Is it just this new windshield that didn't fit?

Normally, the windshield opening is extremely rigid, to prevent the glass breaking as the body twists and flexs. Unless you lifted the cab using the windshield opening I'd think it's something else, like a new windshield that is just a little "off".

Old 07-11-2007, 03:07 PM
houghda
Junior User
actually it almost seems like the gasket is rubbing (binding) on the underside of the eyebrow.
I did a lot of repair work there.

once installed, how much paint is between the gasket and the underside of the eyebrow? My gasket appears like there will be none.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:25 AM
houghda
Junior User
Now I am REALLY confused!

Installed the back window yesterday (56 small) with a Dennis Carpenter (DC) seal. It went in but the ends look terrible, the seal doesnt lay to the cab edge correctly on the ends (top and bottom good).

Should the back window seam go on the top or bottom?

If you are keeping score that is two DC rubber seals that have not worked for me. Obviously the glass is coming from different sorces so I am starting to doubt the seals. Maybe they are "exact to Original" but they dont work for me.

Does anyone have a seal they can recommend?

Thanks
Dave
"It aint a truck without glass"

Old 07-15-2007, 09:24 AM
merc546
Posting Guru
Had a real prob with corners of the rear window on my 56 took us about a half hour to finally get it right. My friend had the plastic piece that installers use for the seals but it still was a bit*h.

I have to ask you are installing the rear from the outside (the big lip goes on the inside)?

By the way if you call carpenter and complane about the seal you may get the same answer that I did about the vent window seals being too long and the corner patches not mating the edge of the door. "Billy Bob Whoever just installed them on his truck and they fit so it must be something that you are doing not us or our suppliers".

Chuck

Old 07-15-2007, 09:43 AM
houghda
Junior User
Say What!?

The big lip goes on the inside?
That might be the answer, mine is outside.

That is the kind of insight I need from you guys!

I installed it big lip out pulling cord on inside like a windshield....

Old 07-15-2007, 01:56 PM
houghda
Junior User
Victory!!!

Originally Posted by merc546

I have to ask you are installing the rear from the outside (the big lip goes on the inside)?

Chuck

You sir changed my day, and my week!
Seal works fine when installed correctly, big lip inside!

THANKS a TON!!!!

The big lip does go outside on the windshield, correct?

Old 01-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Ira Brown
Senior User
Stainless Steel Trim before or after?

Any of you ever install winshield or rear window for a 58 Custom Cab with Stainless steel trim? Does the trim go on before installing the glass or after?

Old 01-13-2008, 08:29 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ira Brown
Any of you ever install winshield or rear window for a 58 Custom Cab with Stainless steel trim? Does the trim go on before installing the glass or after?
. This question was answered in a different thread about the 58.

Anyway, regarding the 56' WS, It is very different from the 53-55 and requires a bit different action to get it in safely. It goes in from the outside without question. A new seal is the way to go and needs no sealant to complicate things. Sealers can be used a few years down the road with the WS in using a pointed tip on the tube of sealant. Linseed oil works like majic as a lube and cleans up well. The 56' WS is normally roped in from the bottom center and working outward. Once the bottom is in the channel, the weight alone will assist in setting the sides and top as the rope is worked around the WS. The helper on the outside should simply follow the position of the rope with a light pressure on the glass until it seats. Pressure should be at the edges of glass near the gasket, never in center or large area of glass. I have done a lot in past, but I let the WS supplier do the last one and I watched as it went in before I could count to 30. The rope of choice for the pro installer is clothesline rope. Houghda, yes the big lip is on outside.
Other than these tips from the installer, I got nothing new. 2 men is a must though. Good luck.
Jon

Last edited by CIAF; 01-13-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Ira Brown
Senior User
Thanks for the great explanation.

Quick Reply: Windshield Install