6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

No more DPF

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 04:56 PM
PSD6litre40
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
And if Hillary wins, there's no telling what might happen!
I know i'm moving to Canada or somewhere if that happens!

Old 07-13-2007, 06:05 PM
kimminau2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Canada might not be far enough!

Old 07-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Hanging_Heels
Junior User
PS - Apparently you feel the same way I do about the tree-hugging hippy liberals running this country at the moment. I am just as adamate about the possible ban on weapons that may find it's way through Congress soon. And if Hillary wins, there's no telling what might happen!

BEST COMMENT i have heard in a long time!! hahahahaha Glad were on the same level, right there with ya brotha....

Last edited by Hanging_Heels; 07-13-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:07 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
To me you have to pick your poison. You remove the DPF and gain mileage saving diesel in the process. They sling the dpf's under these trucks to clean the air then they end up burning more diesel in the process.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:24 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
Although I doubt that they can actually do it, Ford has said that they will not honor warranty repairs if the exhaust is altered.

Some Ford tech. may correct me if I am wrong but when your truck goes in for a possible warranty situation they don't just throw parts and labor at it till its fixed and bill Ford. They have to follow a diagnostic flow chart, so if the readings from the sensors at the DPF are out of wack because its no longer there or been tampered with, it basically can't be a warrantied repair because its impossible to diagnose it to Fords satisfaction.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:45 AM
PSD6litre40
Posting Guru
Well, I know for a fact that most of the dealers in my area do NOT have well trained techs. I am going through a similar situation right now on my 6.0 on cold starts it has a injector spool valve thats sticking for about 5 minutes. The truck vibrates and shakes and wont pull out of its own way. So, theyre fix is a reflash which did nothing I get a call that my trucks fixed and I asked what was wrong and they said they flashed the PCM and the truck is fine now. Well, the next morning sure enough still does it (this was wednesday) So I called the Service Advisor (whom is a good friend) and said the truck is still doing the same thing. He was furious when I told him this I said there is no way you could miss what this thing is going its not rocket science. The tech told him after it was reflashed he let it sit overnight and the next morning it was perfect which there is no way. What happened im sure was the truck was reflashed and sent on its way by the tech. This is why there are trucks with reoccuring problems all over the US, they throw something at it because they don't know what they are doing and wish it the best of luck. I cannot complain about my dealer, because they treat me well, but this tech needs a kick in the pants.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:09 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by SuperchipsMike
True statement!

Before and after dyno runs showed that removing the dpf gained only 1RWHP on our stock untuned 6.4L.
I would proably agree with the fact of the small hourse power gain between a dyno run with a clean DPF and without a DPF at all, but the DPF is a self cleaning filter. The pcm reads the pressures which trigger's the regen cycle. How much hp is lost when the DPF is lets say 80% pluged?

My truck has gone into a regen cycle while pulling a grade with a load, and it sucks, the boost cuts back to around 25PSI + or -.

So my point, i think the actual potentional hp loss is much higher than 1hp with the DPF.

Just my .02

Old 07-16-2007, 06:47 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why don't people realize that the dpf does nothing to help stop pollution... it saves the soot till it burns it off when nobody sees it (aka when not in emmissions testing)... all that crap is still floating up into our atmosphere, and we're waisting more diesel to pollute the same amount... seems pointless... i say let the coal roll!!!!

Old 07-16-2007, 09:49 PM
NS F250
Elder User
Originally Posted by glasseater
why don't people realize that the dpf does nothing to help stop pollution... it saves the soot till it burns it off when nobody sees it (aka when not in emmissions testing)... all that crap is still floating up into our atmosphere, and we're waisting more diesel to pollute the same amount... seems pointless... i say let the coal roll!!!!
I'm no expert, but I always thought soot was heavy enough to settle to the ground. Does soot go in to the atmoshere? Maybe Algore will chime in. My opinion is all this dpf and other stuff does is make the tree huggers feel good, thats why we're stuck with it. Kinda like 10% ethanol gasoline, you use more of it with worse mpg, but hey we're burning less oil. Just wait till they decide that we don't need trucks this big and we all have to drive a prius to save the whales, er a earth, what ever it is we're saving these days.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Big Sky Rancher
Senior User
I'll tell you a good reason for removing that new fangled emmisions crap that hasn't been mentioned yet; to prevent grass fires. Diesels have historically been better ranch trucks in the west because they don't have catalytic converters that CAN get hot enough to start grass fires.

And I'm not talking about flaming tailpipes, just the high heat from the converter/collector.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:12 PM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
Originally Posted by Big Sky Rancher
I'll tell you a good reason for removing that new fangled emmisions crap that hasn't been mentioned yet; to prevent grass fires. Diesels have historically been better ranch trucks in the west because they don't have catalytic converters that CAN get hot enough to start grass fires.

And I'm not talking about flaming tailpipes, just the high heat from the converter/collector.
This is the exact reason I do not drive my 6.4 around my ranch. It's covered in 3 ft. grass right now and will light up like a match is that thing goes into regen. Good news is that there are tuners being made that will kill the regen cycle completly so you can put a strait pipe on without worrying about constant regen. Yea I want the sound and smoke, but I really don't want the heat. Can't wait to rip it off. Here's to second hand smoke!!

Old 07-16-2007, 10:45 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SouthTexasDiesel
This is the exact reason I do not drive my 6.4 around my ranch. It's covered in 3 ft. grass right now and will light up like a match is that thing goes into regen. Good news is that there are tuners being made that will kill the regen cycle completly so you can put a strait pipe on without worrying about constant regen. Yea I want the sound and smoke, but I really don't want the heat. Can't wait to rip it off. Here's to second hand smoke!!

Old 07-16-2007, 10:46 PM
NS F250
Elder User
Originally Posted by SouthTexasDiesel
So, I wonder how many fires these new diesels will cause. Hmmm, I bet there's a lot of green house gasses from a forrest fire. Kind of ironic, these trucks may actually pollute more than the old ones.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:51 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by NS F250
So, I wonder how many fires these new diesels will cause. Hmmm, I bet there's a lot of green house gasses from a forrest fire. Kind of ironic, these trucks may actually pollute more than the old ones.
'68 charger huh? i like

Old 07-16-2007, 11:04 PM
NS F250
Elder User
Originally Posted by glasseater
'68 charger huh? i like
Yeah, it's a factory 440 car, the sad thing is there are diesel guys on this site with trucks that are faster than my car.

Quick Reply: No more DPF