1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1995 E-150, Gas Leak Filler Neck

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 03:20 PM
moorefc
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another solution -buy the assembly continued

After less than 3 hours without a jack completed the job. This was done in baja, so tools were very limited, but I had the replacement assembly made by Dorman. It had been leaking for a while, but the rough roads made it obvious..
Here is a link showing the cracks. The tank ends of the tubes were plugged into the filler nozzle to show the cracks. Three cracks on the main line at the top of the tube and the overflow line had cracks near the clamps on both ends (split through the clamp on one end) . 95 E250....This looks like it would be pretty typical. Had to lower the tank a bit on the strap threads, so it took a bit longer. Didn't even have a short screwdriver so it was slow.

http://picturesoffordandstuff.shutterfly.com/pictures/9

So, the comments about replacing both lines appear to be corroborated, and the rubber appears to be weakened....Maybe there is stress on the top of the main tube, but probably the cracks are just from vibration and old hose.

Cheers

Old 09-05-2012, 11:30 PM
kevin-11
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Replacing Fuel Filler Hoses Again

It is so eary owning two E Series Vans, 1995 E-150 and a 1994 E-250. They seem to get the same problems within months of each other. Gas hoses within months of each other and brake and transmission lines also. Well I am back to it again for the fuel lines on my 95 E-150. I started this thread on 7/2007 and now 5 years later the hoses rotted again. Here on L.I, New York, we have the ethanol and the "Winter" & "Summer" blends of gasoline. It was just a few months ago my brother did the 94 E-250's fuel filler tubes. So I guess this repair has about a 5 year life span. At least this time it is still warm, although my brother has to get angioplasty surgery on his leg this week, so I will have to wait or take it to a local shop. I am in a wheelchair so no 'worming" on the ground anymore now that I have hit 57. When I was in my 20's I was a big Dodge Dart fanatic that I would do anything to. Replaced slant six by myself, OK a little help. LOL But those days are gone. Damn I am getting old! LOL I will let you all know what happens.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:02 PM
LocalHero
New User
I'm having the same problem with my '93 e-150 work van. I had a fuel pump fail on this van exactly 10 years ago and the damn thing is inside the tank so the Ford dealership (right next to where it broke down) fixed it for $750. Looking at the invoice, it looks like they replaced the filler tubes at that time so ten years is how long mine lasted.

I have a 36 gal tank on this truck and it's 3/4 empty but I'm going to have to lower it at least somewhat to get to the band clamp on the tank end of the hose. This afternoon I scoped it out and soaked the tank hanger bolts with a rust buster. The hanger nuts are 15mm which seems kind of odd to me... is it?

So the consensus here is that generic 1.5" filler hose will work fine? And that I can get such a thing at any auto parts store?

Old 12-19-2013, 01:35 PM
moorefc
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by moorefc
My 95 E250 is leaking from a crack in the top of the large filler hose (and the small hose is slightly split at the outer end). Turns out on amazon (and other places) both rubber tubes and the fill nozzle assembly complete with hose clamps from Dorman is less than $70.....I ordered the assembly and it looks the same as the OE parts...So tomorrow will replace the whole thing. Feels like I can get a small socket on the inner hose clamps, so may get lucky and not even have to lower the tank. I am not at home and don't have a floor jack so not lowering would be more difficult. If at home it looks pretty easy to lower the tank, given a decent jack.
The fact that Dorman makes this indicates there must be lots of replacements, since they usually survey what is being replaced prior to their reman efforts.

Well after only a year + the Dorman main fill tube is cracking at the bottom of the filler tube next to the hose clamp..No obvious leaks yet, but sooner or later..So much for aftermarket junk..The 3/4in tube looks good and is pliable. Found on ebay a california dealer who would ship the F7UZ904BE OEM hose for $87.....Oh well we are getting pretty good at this! Part of the reason the OEM hose is so $$$ is it is a special material (they told me the name).....Marine grade fuel hose should work, but I don't want to do this again....

Bottom line - I cannot recommend the aftermarket kits...Dorman in general has been pretty good, but not in this case....
<center><table><tbody><tr><td style="text-align:center" width="">
</td></tr></tbody></table></center>

Old 12-20-2013, 08:02 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by moorefc
Well after only a year + the Dorman main fill tube is cracking at the bottom of the filler tube next to the hose clamp..No obvious leaks yet, but sooner or later..So much for aftermarket junk.

Bottom line - I cannot recommend the aftermarket kits...Dorman in general has been pretty good, but not in this case....
Great info and follow up from a real-life user---thanks!

Sometimes we do have to ask why something is so expensive or conversely why so (much) cheaper? Special made parts of materials specific to the use AND them being made for just one customer drives the price up.

Doing this sort of job twice due cheaper parts tends to quickly negate the initial cost savings. Your update might prevent others from going that same route.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:22 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I replaced the filler hose on my 96 without dropping the tank. I used a section of 1-1/2" radiator hose to do the job. So far so good. Is it easy to do ? No, but it can be done in an hour or so using both a 5/16" nut driver and 1/4" drive ratchet and 5/16 socket.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:05 AM
tabijan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 163 Likes on 153 Posts
x2 on not dropping the tank. I put a wrench on the more accessible forward nut and it felt like it was rounding rather than loosening. I didn't need the job to get even bigger so I proceeded with the tank in place. I got a foot of 1.5" fuel hose ($14.79 plus tax)) and a foot of 3/4" fuel vent hose ($3.79 plus tax) both from NAPA and both trimmed to the length of the original hoses (or whatever was on there that looked original with captive clamps on the tank ends). The first time I slipped on the 1.5" hose there was a major kink. I notched the tank end as I read earlier in the thread and the hose is round all the way through. Oddly, less than a half inch notch caused over a half inch shortening at the filler end. There's lots of hose past the bead so it shouldn't be an issue. I used dish washing soap to lube the hose ends since my can of Sil-Glyde is missing.

Sixto
93 E150 Chateau 5.8 187K miles

Old 03-22-2016, 12:40 AM
honeywagon
New User
I decided to replace my fuel filler neck hoses, after smelling gasoline each time I drove the van. Read through this thread, and went with a "Continental Elite #59200" 1-1/2" filler neck hose with 45deg bend from Amazon, and 1 foot of "Gates #27010" 3/4" fuel vapor hose from O'Reilly's.

Access to the hoses from under my van proved challenging. Not only was it cramped and I couldn't see the hose clamps on the fuel tank side, but also because I have an undermounted propane tank and ABS pipes for black/gray water right in the way. But, I managed to get the hose clamps off. I found a ratcheting 5/16" wrench to come in handy, because the hose clamps were angled in such a way that I couldn't fit a ratchet or screwdriver on the hose clamp nut.

The old filler hose was a bear to get off, it was pretty well stuck on. It wouldn't budge, so I had to take off the metal filler neck to remove it. I could have cut it off, but didn't want to mess it up, since I needed to use it as a template for the new hose.

I found that the fuel smell was coming from the old vent hose. It was a silicone heater hose, that was not visibly leaking, but was permeating gasoline vapor. The old filler neck hose was a proper fuel-rated hose, and still seemed in good shape (but I replaced it anyway). These hoses were replaced by a previous owner, so I would guess they were about 5 years old.

So, I would not recommend radiator/heater hoses for your next filler neck repair.

Anyway, all is good now and no more fuel smell!