1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Pictoral: LLS Updated Bracket Install ***DUW***

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 05:55 PM
wchain
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pictoral: LLS Updated Bracket Install ***DUW***

Like many of you, I have people getting in my navigator and asking "Whats that buzzing noise?" So much that I decided to get the kit and install it.

Heres a How to/DIY Pictoral. I did this on my Navigator, so this applies to all 97-02 Expeditions and Navigators, not sure what the 03+ models are like.

You'll need:
13 mm socket
11 mm socket
8 mm socket
4mm Allen Head Hex Key
various screwdrivers
T-20 Torx (optional)
The Kit that I was sold is 6L1Z-5Z205-A

1. open the hood, and use the 8mm to remove the battery terminals, and the battery holddown clamp

2. Remove the four 13mm bolts that hold the battery tray in place. Slide the tray towards the engine and lift up. Gently twist and remove the Vaccum fitting attached to the battery tray vacuum reserve box.

3. Use the 13 mm to remove 3 of the bolts that hold the washer resevoir and move it out of the way

Now move the resevoir out of the way or remove it all together.

Now we have access to the LLS Pump.
Remove the three 11mm bolts (one is shown above)
Heres the same bolt from another angle, and the 2nd one against the fender:

Heres the 3rd Bolt. Once you have it loose, turn it a little bit and unplug the wiring harness to the pump.

To be continued....

Old 07-03-2007, 05:56 PM
wchain
Junior User
To make things easier, I removed the philips head screw here that attaches the drier to the pump, and turned the drier clockwise and removed the drier from the assembly. Once out of the way, the whole bracket and pump comes out.

Here's the whole assembly removed from the truck

The Pump looks like it was recently replaced, the previous owner had it done at the LM Dealer before I picked it up.
Looks like an Arnott Pump.

Now we'll remove the four 4mm screws holding the pump to the bracket. The rubber grommets look to be in ok condition, but I'm going to replace everything anyway.

Heres the pump....Looks like its less than 6 months old!

here are the comparison of the two grommets. The old one on the left, the new on the right. Looks as if they replaced the pump but did not replace the mounting hardware.

Heres the kit. Notice the box has one number and the directions has another.....See the grommets that are attached to the bracket already? That's what we're forking the dough out for. I paid 65 bucks with the discount.

Here's the Old and new side by side.

Next, push the new grommets into the pump assembly, make sure the tapered side is facing the new bracket.

The kit comes with T-20 Torx Screws to attach the pump to the new bracket, but since I dont like torx, I reused the old 4mm allen head screws.

Now we're all done with the pump on the bracket, we're going to reinstall the new bracket/pump assembly. Go in at an angle to clear the relay mounting bracket (Not used on 97-02 Trucks). Plug the wiring harness in and then situate the bracket.

ReMount the Drier and install the philips head screw.

And use the NEW included 8mm bolts (longer to accomodate the grommets)

There! We're all done!

Now is a good time to clean the dust and debris and corrosion from the battery if applicable.

Reinstall the Washer Bottle, using the same 13mm bolts, reconnect the vacuum line to the box, reinstall battery tray four 13mm bolts, and then the battery, hold down, cover, and terminals.

Start the truck and listen...Ahhhh Silence!

Old 07-04-2007, 09:58 AM
johnpvb
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great repair notes! Pics are fantastic...thanks!

Old 07-11-2007, 10:44 AM
orleec
Senior User
WChain

would you be willing to part wit your old grommet? PM'ed you with my offer.

Thanks
- OrleeC