6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Jealous Friends Neighbor Brother in Law

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 04:37 PM
albran
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jealous Friends Neighbor Brother in Law

Just Harpooned my F250 now everyone I know with a Diesel wants to know if they can be Harpooned?

Friend with a 05 Dodge with a 50 mile 1 way commute is really interested.
Friend with a 06 F350 (I'll help him) he also has a long commute.
Neighbor with a 06 GMC, short commute but frequent LONG trips.
Brother in Law with a 05 Chevy, lots of towing.

Anybody know if these off brand trucks can be Harpooned?
THANKS

Old 06-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Storm
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure all fuel tanks have vent tubes.. Just a question of how they are setup.. You may be able to harpoon them..

Old 06-27-2007, 04:57 PM
OZX1
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by albran

THANKS
Help your friend with the Ford and tell the others that they need to buy Fords. IMHO

Old 06-27-2007, 05:15 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by albran
Just Harpooned my F250 now everyone I know with a Diesel wants to know if they can be Harpooned?

THANKS
What does the amount of miles they drive have to do with harpooning the fuel tank?

I thought the issue was that by doing so the tank vented better when filling and reduced the "foaming" issue?????

Old 06-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Storm
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
What does the amount of miles they drive have to do with harpooning the fuel tank?

I thought the issue was that by doing so the tank vented better when filling and reduced the "foaming" issue?????
It does but it also allows you to get more fuel into the tank.. We harpoon'd my buddies 7.3 and normally when he hits E and fills up he only gets 28ish gallons in.. After the harpoon we went and filled up, took 32 gallons.. May only push you a day more from filling up but it helps LOL

Old 06-27-2007, 06:17 PM
satcom40
Elder User
get a bigger tank you can go a long way with more fuel.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:24 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
You can get 34 gallons in these 28 gallon tanks, You can do it without the harpoon mod if you slowly keep filling once it clicks. I always do it, Ive gone 100 miles before my fuel gage even started moving.

I dont know exactly how many gallons dodge or chevys will hold. I think the short bed chevy tanks are only like 24 gallons, not sure how much more they would actually hold.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:34 PM
WishIhada7.3
Laughing Gas
got a trip to florida coming up and i think i am gonna do the harpoon mod so i dont have to stand there 15 mins extra to fill up my tank.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:08 AM
Cowboy Brett
Elder User
Does anyone know why they set up the vent like that to begin with? It's a pain in the butt, that's a fact. The harpoon mod is a real time saver of you've got to fuel up a lot, particularly if your regular station has the larger diameter truck nozzles.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:46 AM
BC Powerstroke
Senior User
My understanding is that ford uses the same superduty tank in gas or diesel trucks. As the gas trucks need air for them to run properly the filler tube and air vent extends about 3-4 inches into the tank causing an air void on the top portion so that your pump stops when the fuel hits the vent at 28 gallons for a 34 gallon tank. Diesel trucks do not need that air void. Ford likely did this for mass production and cost savings. This is just another thing ford could of did better.

I am not as familiar with the durmax's but some of my cousins run the dodge cummins and when they fill up there is very little to no more fuel to put in. I get the impression Dodge put a diesel tank in a diesel truck rather than ford putting a gas tank that will also work for a diesel truck. Thus the dodge may not have anything to harpoon as their tank is actually or close to "full" when their pump clicks.

I hunt and fish 100's of km's in remote areas away from the nearest fuel station and want the security of having every litre of fuel with minmal time to fill it.

I always spend the time to fill it to the neck but it is just that a pain in the neck.

I will also be harpooning my truck when I get the time.

Last edited by BC Powerstroke; 06-28-2007 at 01:50 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:49 AM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Cowboy Brett
Does anyone know why they set up the vent like that to begin with? It's a pain in the butt, that's a fact. The harpoon mod is a real time saver of you've got to fuel up a lot, particularly if your regular station has the larger diameter truck nozzles.
Something to do with the expansion of regular fuel, or the vapors or something along that line, safetly procedure basically.

Wish, I dont spend 15 minutes, more like 3-5 minutes. lol. The clerks always ask me if the pump is working right. But its nice getting the extra miles. I wanta do the harpoon one of these days, just sounds like to much work, I dont mind spending a little extra time at the pump. I plan on getting a secondary tank in the near future though.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:01 AM
BC Powerstroke
Senior User
A-rod.

Instead of dropping the tank out to harpoon it and avoid an onerous procedure you can do an alternative approach a friend of mine did which took him an hour or so.

If you have access to a hoist you can simply unbolt your box lift it up move your truck forward and access your tank from the top and do the harpoon. This avoids messing with the tanks fuel lines and moving a partialy filled tank.

Something to consider if you or a buddy has the hoist type set up.

I am going this route when I got the time and access to my budy's shop.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:19 AM
Cowboy Brett
Elder User
Thanks for the info, BC Powerstroke and a-rod.

Pulling the bed is a whole lot easier, especially if you can get access to a hoist. The dealers frequently do that for fuel pumps and sending units on the gassers. I've seen it done that way quite a bit during my trips to get parts.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:31 AM
BC Powerstroke
Senior User
The way ford is designing these trucks it seems cab or bed off is becoming the norm to do repairs.

When I go into the Ford service shop these days I see frames on the ground and cabs or beds in the air. I do not recall this 10-20 years ago.

Good luck.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:50 AM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Yeah thats probly an easier route BC, thanks. The only problem there can be getting all the bed bolts out. There not always to cooperative Ford feels they need extra lock-tite on these. Ive had my fun with them a few times, lol.

Quick Reply: Jealous Friends Neighbor Brother in Law