Computer Chips & Tuners  

My 2000 V-10 is now Chipped!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2000, 07:42 AM
wawii
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm back from the Dyno shop and now have a chipped 2000 V-10 6.8L F-250 SD Auto w/3.73LS.
My 2nd gear comparisons between before and after the chip are at: [link:ic.net/~wawii/Dyno/|My WEB Site]. The two files start with "2ndGearDyno..." and are a chart and a table of the results.

The 2nd gear improvement is ~4.5% average peek HP and ~3.7% average peek TQ. Not great and sure not what SuperChips advertises, but not bad considering Ford already made a 12.7% HP and 3.6% TQ improvement over the 1999's.

The non-WOT throttle shift (for the little driving I've done with the chip) is a lot better. WOT shifts are better, but not as much better as the non-WOT shifts.

All things permitting the Banks goes on tommorow. Considering I've been trying to get the Dyno since Tuesday, by luck says it will be next weekend before the banks gets installed.

Any other SuperChip users have any additional input? Any error lights/codes? Any improvement numbers? Any special tweeks to the program over the SuperChip Factory settings?

Thanks,
Will

------------------
Thanks,
Will

2000 F-250 SD Crew Cab, Short Bed, Lariat, 4X2, V-10, Auto, 3.73LS

Old 04-07-2000, 10:37 AM
SuperPleased
Junior User

>All things permitting the Banks goes
>on tommorow. Considering I've been
>trying to get the Dyno
>since Tuesday, by luck says
>it will be next weekend
>before the banks gets installed.
>
Will, you'll have the same setup on your 2K as I've long had on my SD (1999 F-250 SD SuperCab, Long Bed, Lariat, 4X4, V-10, Auto, 3.73LS) by the time you read this. The Superchip Banks Powerpack is an awesome combination. Banks' headers seemed to make an even greater contribution to performance than the Superchip, but that's strictly opinion. The tranny shift mods produced by the chip were a great improvement, also. I think that you'll really like the noticeable changes.

>Any other SuperChip users have any
>additional input? Any error lights/codes?
>Any improvement numbers? Any special
>tweeks to the program over
>the SuperChip Factory settings?
>
>Thanks,
>Will
>
>------------------
>Thanks,
>Will
>
>2000 F-250 SD Crew Cab, Short
>Bed, Lariat, 4X2, V-10, Auto,
>3.73LS

The answer's no, as far as improvement numbers with the Superchip, but it's a resounding YES on error codes.

I had a "Check Engine Soon" error light after about 15,000 miles with the Superchip, so I took it to the dealer. After supposedly 2 hours of "work", they discovered that an aftermarket product (the Superchip) had been installed, and ceased any further investigation as to the source of the error code (per instructions from the factory via a general-circulation service memo to dealerships which they showed me.)

Having left the error light shining, they then charged me for the supposed 2-hours "work". That really made me happy! I went out and bought an Autoxray error code reader for a ton of money, and erased the relatively minor error code myself. It hasn't come back to haunt me.

The moral? If you have to take your truck to the dealership for ANY work while under warranty, first remove the Superchip AFTER disconnecting the battery. When you get your truck back, disconnect the battery and reinstall the Superchip. You'll save some money; perhaps you'll also prevent warranty problems.

Tom

Old 04-07-2000, 09:09 PM
wawii
Senior User

Tom,

Thanks for the reply. But I'm Banksless at this time. When we put the truck up on the lift I found a tranny seal leak and had the truck in this week to get it fix'ed (read my new post: Tranny Leak Turns into a Vibration!)

Now I'm not even going to be able to get it installed this weekend!

I was aware of the SuperChip needing to be removed before service. I pulled it out and installed a new ECM cover so the dealer wou;dn't be the wiser.

I own the AutoTap, so if I get a check engine light I'll be able to read and clear any code.

I lov'ed the shift fix's the chip provided and can't wait to get the Banks installed and fell and hear the wonderful power of the mighty V-10!

Thanks again for the information!
------------------
Thanks,
Will

2000 F-250 SD Crew Cab, Short Bed, Lariat, 4X2, V-10, Auto, 3.73LS

Old 04-13-2000, 12:09 PM
D
Senior User