Computer Chips & Tuners  

Diablo Or Superchip?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2001, 12:08 AM
fordextreme
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diablo Or Superchip?

Hello, Ive posted a few posts over the last few weeks. Mostly on ideas and opoinions, I have a 99 5.4L F250 SD and I have decided that next week i am going to Buy a chip from the online store but as to which chip im still not sure. I want the chip to make the biggest differnce since they are both the same price. Later on i want to possibly install or have installed ive looked at the clearance i have there, headers. Ive heard rumores that headers will damage my engin in time. I have already straight piped it form the cat out. Will i still have enough back pressure if i do headers? Anyway I woudl like to thank everybody or you fro reading this. Thanks ahead of time for responding if you do. Im sure danny will hes good at this sort of thing. Thanks
Sean

99 F-250 SD 5.4L triton v-8 Short Box Dark blue

Old 07-15-2001, 09:26 AM
D
Senior User
Diablo Or Superchip?

Sean: I'm sure some of the header manufacturers will argue this point, but, headers is a lot of money for very little gain. If you plan on installing some type of forced induction later, ie. supercharger or turbocharger, install headers. If you plan on staying naturally aspirated, don't waste your money. The best headers on the market claim a gain of about 4 hp. You cannot feel 4 hp difference on a 5200 pound truck. A good set of headers will run from $400.00-$700.00. That is anywhere from $100.00 to nearly $200.00 per horsepower, not a wise investment. The best chip for your truck would depend on the ecu code in your truck. On some codes, Superchips has a great program and on others Diablo is tops. You will have plenty of backpresure as long as you leave the cats on the truck. You have made the best investment for the money so far by opening the exhaust a bit, factory mufflers are too restrictive. Next, intall a K&N Air Filter and clean the intake up a bit. Check the fitting where the air intake goes into the fender liner. It swedges down to about 2 inches. The rest of the intake is 3-4 inches. Give me a call, 1-877-399-6417, and I can help you free the intake up a bit. This is a free mod that really helps the engine breathe.
Thanks
Danny
2001 Cobra-Lazer Red
DiabloSport Chipped

Old 07-15-2001, 05:17 PM
fordextreme
Senior User
Diablo Or Superchip?

Danny, Thanks for your reply that helps alot with the conflicts ive been hearing about my headers option. As for the chip if i were to get you the computer code do you think you coudl help me make a final decision as to which one i buy next week? I will be getting you that code here soon if you do decide that you can help. Until then thanks again danny you have helped alot with me and many othere liek me on the FTE site here.
Sean

Old 07-15-2001, 05:33 PM
fordextreme
Senior User
Diablo Or Superchip?

Danny, Okay here is yet another question. In the online store its listed that i need to get the computer code off the white sticker on the harness leading to my computer unit. Ive heard of them being in the passenger side door jam and ive heard of them else where. On my 99 f-250 aplication where exactly is my computer located at? I think it might be under the dash is this the case? Please let me know. Thanks
Sean

Old 07-15-2001, 08:01 PM
D
Senior User
Diablo Or Superchip?

Sean: Your code should be on a small white sticker at the FRONT of the drivers door. It will be something like ZUT2.....TRE5 or similar. Your ecu is located on the drivers side bolted to the park brake assembly. There is a black plastic cover over the ecu held in place by 2 ea. 7mm screws. Remove these 2 screws and tilt the end of the ecu towards the accelerator pedal. Then slide/force the cover off. Your code will be on a white sticker onthe end of the ecu.
Thanks
Danny
2001 Cobra-Lazer Red
3:73 gears
Steeda Tri-Ax Short Shifter
DiabloSport Chipped

Old 07-15-2001, 08:58 PM
fordextreme
Senior User
Diablo Or Superchip?

Danny, OKay i think i foudn the code it was on the sticker at the front of my drivers side door. It was on a white sticked with a bar code at the top half in caps was hte code MER4. Is this the code that i need for purchasing my chip? I located my ecu. Do i still need to locate the code on the harness? Let me know if not anf this code is correct. Which chip woudl you do based on the code? Im planning on predering someitmes next week so im still trying to make the best choice. Thanks
Sean

Old 07-16-2001, 12:02 AM
fordextreme
Senior User
Diablo Or Superchip?

Danny, Just to let you know i was reading aroudn and i realized i might be leaving out some information that you might need. As for you sugggest it to everybody befroe the chip. I have strait piped my truck as well as the k&n Induction system on it already the chip is my final stage until i decied on the bigger stuff.
Thanks
Sean

Old 07-16-2001, 08:10 PM
D
Senior User
Diablo Or Superchip?

Sean: Niether mod you list would require any custom programming. The MER4 is a good code.
Thanks
Danny
2001 Cobra-Lazer Red
DiabloSport Chipped

Old 07-17-2001, 07:44 PM
fordextreme
Senior User
Diablo Or Superchip?

Danny, Thanks for all your help in this constant confusion for me. With my code being good, are you saying not to get a chip? Or if its still a good idea which chip does the best fro me in the ways of. Shifting firming shift paterns and so on. Along with the power gains. They are both the same price and i believe i heard one sits lower then the other but im nt sure which i would enjoy the most. Thanks
Sean

Old 07-21-2001, 08:40 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Diablo Or Superchip?

He was saying you could use a standard Diablo or Superchip, without custom modifications.

Ken Payne
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Admin

Old 07-21-2001, 07:35 PM
D
Senior User
Diablo Or Superchip?

DITTO Ken's statement.
Thanks
Danny
2001 Cobra-Lazer Red
DiabloSport Chipped

Old 07-22-2001, 09:57 PM
fordextreme
Senior User
Diablo Or Superchip?

Hahaha Thanks Guys you both have really been a big help in this last few days. Tomorrow is the day i should recieve my chip fedex im really excited. Thanks Again,
Sean

Old 07-23-2001, 07:34 PM
fordextreme
Senior User
Diablo Or Superchip?

Danny and/or Ken.
I just got the chip into the truck. Its definetly a noticable differnce. Just a couple of quick questions. I disconected the battery liek a usually do before playing with anything electrical. After i put my chip in and everything i thougth abotu if their was a computer reset after i have played with all of that. Is there that i need to worrie about taking care of? Also i took plenty of time to get all that gum off the terminals but i wanted to know if the truck woudl run if for some reason one of the terminals wasnt making contact? I spent a good hour cleaning it but i wasnt sure if i did a good enough job. Thanks again for everyhting when its better weathered out im planning on going up to the hills for a test drive. Thanks Again,
Sean

Old 07-24-2001, 01:59 PM
D
Senior User
Diablo Or Superchip?

Normally, if even one of the contacts do not make contact, the truck will not start. About all you need to do is fuel up and have fun.

Thanks
Danny
2001 Cobra-Lazer Red
DiabloSport Chipped

Old 07-24-2001, 10:06 PM
90mph
New User
Diablo Or Superchip?