Rear (AUX) Tank Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 05:37 PM
X36
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nollaig
Guys,

you all know more than me for sure. I can tell you that the midship tank is the first door towards the cab, the second door is the aft axel tank. I know this for sure, I installed them myself and mirrored what was present at the time. When the switch is in the downward position, that is the midship tank, when the tank is in the up position, that is the rear tank. I can tell you that there maybe less than 3 gallons of gas in the rear tank, this may be the issue. I am going to fill up the back tank tonight and see what happens.

Thanks and sorry for starting a mini war.

Western Star is right and I will follow his mentality.

Mike
You are correct Nollaig and that is what I've been saying all along contrary to conventional wisdom and what other members have been staing and what I've been saying all along.In a dual tank setup for 78+9 f series trucks THE REAR TANK S CONSIDERED THE AUX and the FRONT IS CONSIDERED THE MAIN

Old 06-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Guys,

you all know more than me for sure. I can tell you that the midship tank is the first door towards the cab, the second door is the aft axel tank. I know this for sure, I installed them myself and mirrored what was present at the time. When the switch is in the downward position, that is the midship tank, when the tank is in the up position, that is the rear tank. I can tell you that there maybe less than 3 gallons of gas in the rear tank, this may be the issue. I am going to fill up the back tank tonight and see what happens.

Mike
Has your truck been fiddled with ?

Mine hasn't.

Mine is how it came from the factory.

Perhaps the factory employees reversed the wiring harness on a select amount of trucks.
All I know is mine for sure has not been tampered with since it left the factory.
switch **** DOWN = The Front AUX is being used

Switch **** UP = The Rear MAIN tank is being used.

And that's all I have to say about that...

Old 06-21-2007, 06:05 PM
X36
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Mil1ion
Has your truck been fiddled with ?

Mine hasn't.

Mine is how it came from the factory.

Perhaps the factory employees reversed the wiring harness on a select amount of trucks.
All I know is mine for sure has not been tampered with since it left the factory.
switch **** DOWN = The Front AUX is being used

Switch **** UP = The Rear MAIN tank is being used.

And that's all I have to say about that...
Mil1ion Your contradicting yourself in the same thread/Earlier in the thread on page 1 you provide a picture of your own trucks LABELED gas switch.It clearly says Aux up and MAIN is down/Now in your latest quote that I just copied you say **** down is AUX and up is Main So what are you saying.The way I see it is that your validating what my point is

Last edited by X36; 06-21-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike

Sounds like you reversed the fuel selector switch or wiring.

Yup, fill 'er up and report back too.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 78f250supercab
You are correct Nollaig and that is what I've been saying all along contrary to conventional wisdom and what other members have been staing and what I've been saying all along.In a dual tank setup for 78+9 f series trucks THE REAR TANK S CONSIDERED THE AUX and the FRONT IS CONSIDERED THE MAIN
Every repair manual, including my factory repair manuals and documentation, oppose what you are saying.

Look at from this point.

Where is the SINGLE TANK SYSTEM MOUNTED? Between the frames aft-of-axle. This is considered MAIN, because, it's pretty much the only gas tank, correct?? IT'S THE SAME FOR THE DUAL FUEL SYSTEM. PERIOD. END!

Old 06-21-2007, 06:41 PM
tcbofade
Hotshot
Originally Posted by western star
Well no matter what the tank is called the poor guy isn't getting fuel from it so maybe we all better get focused and do what this website does best ---- HELP FORD TRUCK OWNERS GET THE MOST ENJOYMENT THEY CAN FROM THEIR TRUCKS.....
Great post.

All I know is that on MY truck, the dash says "front" and "rear". And as the rear tank leaks...I don't put any fuel in it. I run the front tank full time and don't mess with my switch and she keeps on keepin' on...

Old 06-21-2007, 07:04 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
Well for my 2 pennies, MY 77 the Main is the IN-CAB tank, and the AUX is the rear tank behind the rear axle,,,, nothing has been diddle with either, must be the tank monkies jackin-around again?!!>!

Old 06-21-2007, 07:18 PM
73f350sc
Posting Guru
All of this...and NOONE has answered the poor guys question about whats keeping his truck from running...stop fighting and start helping already.

Regardless of which tank it is which he states hes not getting fuel flow. Im certain that hes switched the switch back and forth trying to suck what little he can out of both.

To find out if its a fuel pump issue...dissconnect the fuel line from the front of the carb and put it in a coffe can..then tap the starter a couple times...if there is gas in the can then your fuel pump is working. If no gas then you may need to replace the pump or just the fuel filter

If you ran out of gas you may have use a bit of starting fluid to get the engine to draw vacuum and refill the bowl on the front of the carb before it will start again.

To find out which tank is which... just fill one tank and repeat the process till you get it fired up. To diagnose what the issue us you have to check each system one at a time...start with the fuel pump as thats the easiest to check...then move on down the line.

Hope that helps somewhat,
-Chris

Old 06-21-2007, 07:33 PM
shooer
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like to add this...I have a 1977 which I bought new with an in cab tank. Driving home from the dealer I put gas in the rear tank thinking it was the main. The gauge read 1/2 full and I promptly ran out of gas. To make a long story short, it turned out the fuel was being drawn from the OTHER tank not the one registering on the gage. This may be your problem. I solved mine by switching the fuel hoses on the valve located under the drivers door. I still don't know which was connected right, the gauges or the hoses. Good luck

Don

Old 06-21-2007, 08:39 PM
fatherdoug
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And to get off the subject once again..... Dennis, I wish I could find one of those Pioneer supertuners with cassette. They are going for $100 plus on e-bay for well used ones. Any ideas?

Old 06-24-2007, 04:58 AM
bryonwleeper22
Junior User
For what its worth

Main=Front/mid/side tank

Aux= Rear/behind axle tank

Only change I made was the switch unit and plugged in the way it came off.

Have fun with that.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Originally Posted by 78f250supercab
Mil1ion Your contradicting yourself in the same thread/Earlier in the thread on page 1 you provide a picture of your own trucks LABELED gas switch.It clearly says Aux up and MAIN is down/Now in your latest quote that I just copied you say **** down is AUX and up is Main So what are you saying.The way I see it is that your validating what my point is

Not contradicating it all.

It's in the terminology.

You're presuming that the position of the **** means that tank that is being used.

ie: **** up means use AUX.. **** Down means uses MAIN Tank

But,Perhaps FORD is saying with the **** one direction OPENS the OTHER tank.

ie: **** DOWN shows AUX tank use...**** Up means MAIN Tank use.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Originally Posted by 73f350sc
All of this...and NOONE has answered the poor guys question about whats keeping his truck from running...
-Chris

Noone ?.. You mean Peter Noone of the band Hermans Hermit"s ?

No , you mean " No One ".......

The topic of the thread is "Aux Tank issue" .........not keeping the engine running.

This thread is more about which is Aux and which is Main because The O/P has to know which tank is which to determine of he has a problem with that particular Tank or ..the other one.

He is assuming One tank is Aux and the Other is the main.

ps Doug, I have a Pioneer S/T sitting in a drawer in my garage.

I used to pull them when I saw them at the wreckers.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:38 PM
73f350sc
Posting Guru
Gents,
Everything is plugged in, all wires are working, it is grounded on the frame, but no gas flows from the tank.

I ran out of gas last night when I thought I was running off the back tank. The tank showed 1/4 full (and it is) but I must have been sucking the main tank dry, while never actually running off the rear tank.

How do I know if the rear tank is actually pumping gas to the engine, carb, etc...? Do I have a fuel line problem? Is it a sending unit problem, a fuel pump issue?
This is going to be kinda off topic at first........

So shoot me Dennis....I forgot a space....its called a typo . Like I said in other posts I rarely take offense to things but I have to say this.....

Dennis you aren't the grammar police.... ok.....it isnt your responsability to go around pointing out people's typos making whole replies to things that really dont need pointed out. Like how to spell "vacuum" or "no one" ect ect ect.

People make mistakes and I'm sure that the realize them after they re-read them later in the day....without your help.

And yes from the areas in bold above Id bet his truck isnt running when he switches to that tank........if theres no fuel coming from the tank..... how will it run???

Magical gas pixies in the engine bay? I think not

The OP dosent have a clue as to why hes not getting any fuel from the tank regardless of which one it supposedly is or isnt...do you see my point now?

-Chris

PS He asked about the fuel pump as well....whats that hooked to Dennis?? Engine perhaps

I should add that I am not angry at this point....but more like irked.

Last edited by 73f350sc; 06-24-2007 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Mil1ion
New User
The main reference to no one is because the running of the engine wasn't the main topic ..it was the result of a possible.

You are correct about not being the spelling and grammar police.
If I was I would do things entirely different.
My apologies.

I only make mention of things like Noone in a light-hearted way.

Unfortunately there isn't a smilie I could use that denotes that.

Right now we need to resolve which tank is actually which for the OP.

Switch **** position vs Ford original design and operation.

I have always considered the Rear Between the Frame Tank as the Main because on trucks that just have that one tank..that's its location.

Fuel Tank **** direction right now is a stumbling block.

IMO, When trucks only came with a behind the seat tank..that was the main.

Too Bad we don't have a Ford Archive person on the forums.

I have asked them to come here several times to help clear things like this topic up.

Quick Reply: Rear (AUX) Tank Issue