Sponsored by:

MuD BoG TiPs PlEaSe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 06:55 PM
YoungMT Hick
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MuD BoG TiPs PlEaSe?

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%">Next weekend is the Mud Bogs in Montana and i am going to run them for the first time. just wondering if you have any tips or tricks that you do to: keep power, keep mud from some places, water out of the engine, anything. i have a 74 F150 Stock rebuilt 360, headers dual exhaust, stock air cleaner, 37" Xterrains, 7" lift. So with that info can you help to know what to do or what to expect. thanks guys its going to be fun.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 06-13-2007, 07:26 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
In the hard places to clean like under bumpers, inner fenders, ect... spray cooking oil, and the mud basically just slides off.

I'm guessing the axles are stock, so you might want to take it pretty easy. For example, don't try do do any pulling contest(especially not on hard ground), don't try peel outs on the road(alot of stress on u joints with those big meats).

Might want to try airing down the tires alittle, but if you don't have a way to air them back up after to drive home don't.

Stay away from chains, have a good sized strap, and a buddy w/ a truck that is at least the same size/power as yours to pull you out if you get stuck.

Have good solid recovery points front and rear(try and use a shackle in the rear instead of a ball hitch).

Remember MOMENTUM is your friend in mud(at least the thick stuff anyway). Sounds like a big thing, so let a few other people go first and watch where it is bad and gets thick, where death holes are, and remember to stay away from them.

Check all your fluids before you go. Make sure the radiator has plenty of coolant b/c things will heat up, and keep plenty of water handy for the windshield to clean off the mud. I hate to see when people run out and have to start useing beer..... what a waste.

That covers a few things, good luck.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:05 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
just try a little at a time to begin with. dont get there and first off jump in the deep end with the big boys. the less you break and the less you get stuck the more you will time you will have behind the wheel and the more fun you will have!

take any spare parts you have! i know its not rock crawling but parts still break. and if there is a way take extra water... you can always wash somethingoff during a mud bog!

-cutts-

Old 06-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Soilman
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take water to clean your hands and windshield. Don't run your wipers to clean mud of the windshield it will ruin it. Use low range, it smart not being a wus. Slow and steady is sometimes better than wide open. Wide open is sometimes better than slow and steady. The fun part is fiquring out which is needed. Don't be scared to ask for a pull instead of breaking stuff. Don't hit deep water fast and you should not need to worry. Don't stop in deep water if you can help it. Spinning the tires fast enough to keep the tread clean is normally good enough. Don't give in to peer pressure unless you own your own repair shop and win the lottery to cover repair cost. If the axle starts hopping and jumping you got two choices 1) let out of it and drive it home or 2) keep foot in it and tow it home. Good luck and have fun!

Old 06-15-2007, 06:15 AM
quadzjr
just another Rockwell looser
first- get rid of your tires......they arn't worth a damn in the "deep" mud

rain-x your entire truck......youlll be glad you did

i dont know about the mud up there......but the mud at the mud bogs when it drys its like concrete so wash it quick.....

and give er' hell!!!! dont let off till you get out the other side!!!!!!

Old 06-15-2007, 07:31 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,441 Likes on 937 Posts
air down to at least 14 psi or so....take all the extra junk out of your truck you can.. tools, spare tire, junk in glove box etc....tailgate if your allowed, jack etc etc....a few hundred pounds makes a huge difference

watch the other guys running and watch the difrferent lines they take....see which one you think will work best for you and run it

Dont let off till you make it or your noting moving anymore

Old 06-15-2007, 07:57 AM
Soilman
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you going to a mud bog party out in a field where its a free for all or are you going to a compitition pit for time and distance? There are different types of "bogging" around the nation. If its the free for all see my post #4.

If its for time and distance than watch other peoples line and hope you don't draw first. Use four low and floor it and don't lift your foot until you are out the hole or they stop you. Power brake at the starting line to pre load the converter, it will give you a better jump into the pit. Don't forget to work the steering wheel back and forth just before you get stuck and it might give you a little more distance. If it is thick mud that does not close the ruts by it self you want to go where everyone else is going. If it is a soup that resets each time you want to take the path less traveled. You want to get some Bogger in the furture if you want good times. Don't drive on them on the street just use them for the pit.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:57 AM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
more skinny pedal!

I think I might run my bronco at the local track when I get it back together, just to see what happens. I might make it 10ft

Old 06-15-2007, 01:01 PM
quadzjr
just another Rockwell looser
im running my bronco this weekend......last time i ran i had my gas tank sitting on solid ground......stuck as ***** the loader broke a 4" strap trying to pull me out.....

Old 06-15-2007, 02:14 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
The one in your sig line? Sounds pretty badass, have any pictures of it?

Old 06-15-2007, 06:29 PM
YoungMT Hick
Senior User
Quad> i cant run the truck with no tires.......these will have to do
Orange> that is what i am figuring is to play it smart and pick the best line, hopefully i am not staged first that will suck donkey *****
Soilman> Competition, time and distance, sucks i have a 2/4 transfer case. is it a trasfer case or just a power splitter. someboady said it was just a power splitter and i was confused never heard that before? boggers would be sweet but only for the future

so the bogs are the 23rd so i have time to prepare. homemade snorkel or turn the aircleaner with the snorkel towards the fire wall

Old 06-15-2007, 07:50 PM
RawPower
Postmaster
Originally Posted by YoungMT Hick
Quad> i cant run the truck with no tires.......these will have to do
Orange> that is what i am figuring is to play it smart and pick the best line, hopefully i am not staged first that will suck donkey *****
Soilman> Competition, time and distance, sucks i have a 2/4 transfer case. is it a trasfer case or just a power splitter. someboady said it was just a power splitter and i was confused never heard that before? boggers would be sweet but only for the future

so the bogs are the 23rd so i have time to prepare. homemade snorkel or turn the aircleaner with the snorkel towards the fire wall
If its 4wd, it has to have a transfer case... IIRC its an NP203? Somebody check me on that

Old 06-15-2007, 09:55 PM
YoungMT Hick
Senior User
ya thats what i thought, there is the 203,205,235 right and the 4 speed tran is the NP 235 right?

Old 06-16-2007, 08:34 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,441 Likes on 937 Posts
they may mean you have the dana 21, which has no 4 low,

Old 06-16-2007, 01:33 PM
big hoss 29
Posting Guru
If you have an NP435 in your truck, don't try to shift gears in the mud. You'll learn really fast how well of a roadblock your truck makes. Mud is the type of crap that makes an automatic tranny a really good choice.

I'm going to the bogs out there in Acton next weekend so it'll be interesting to see if you sink or swim.

Quick Reply: MuD BoG TiPs PlEaSe?