1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

side door problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 10:46 AM
coreychurch
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
side door problems

I have a 1992 e-350 clubwagon with the "barn door" side doors. The doors never seem to close with a satisfactory feel. They seem to stick out where the 2 doors meet when slammed shut. The local body shop says that the hinges are worn, but shouldn't they still latch if you get them closed hard enough? Is there a pin and bushing kit like chevy's have? I phoned ford and the new hinges are a little pricey.
Thanks for your help
Corey

Old 06-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There's been some lively discussion on the relative merits of double side doors VS. sliding side door. Thanks for posting that all is not well with the 'Mutt & Jeff' side doors, others alluded to their durability as a strong point.
E-Series vans are common enough so that you should have little trouble finding a parts van to salvage good used hinges, latches & other parts from. However you will likely need to go to U-Pull type yards, since its not in major yards' best interest to muck about pulling hinges. I understand the frustration with FORD parts prices for a 15 year old van. Although the original hinges can have the pins replaced, sometimes the hinges themselves are routed out from being under lubricated & over used. Your doors could also be stress fractured around the hinge or latch areas, look for cracks. A good body should be able to repair & adjust the doors. Replacing rusty worn out pins, especially with hinges in place, can be a chore.