Sponsored by:

Repair Manual track down front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 07:40 AM
reel-tor
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repair Manual track down front end noise

Is there a preference for a repair manual? I have a 2001 V-10 4x4 EX that has only been to the dealership until a recent changed in management caused me to really question how much work they were charging for that was not needed.
Recently had a drive line shop balance the drive shaft, new universals, new pinion and ring gears seals etc.
I still have noise in the front end of the truck and want to try to isolate it to either repair it myself or at least take it someplace and have an idea of what is required to do the repair.

I searched the archives and believe my noise could be: drag link, ball joints, wheel bearings, etc. Steering is now getting a little squirrelly and need to get this resolved ASAP.

<o> </o>

Thanks,

<o> </o>

Mike

Old 06-07-2007, 08:05 AM
andermac
Junior User
If your steering is getting squirrly, you better get that rig up on a rack quick and go to shaking some parts to find out whats loose. It's a little late for a manual but Chilton Total Care is about the best consumer version available. This noise, Is it a clunk when you turn or a persistent squeal while your wheels are turning? Squealing or high pitched whining noises when your wheels are turning indicates a bad bearing(s) or bushing somewhere in the front end. Does it do it all the time or just in 4 wheel drive or even worse in 4 wheel drive? Clunks generally indicate something loose like a tierod end or u-joint or a control arm. All of these on such a heavy vehicle are dangerous conditions. I'd get it put up on a rack just to look if nothing else.

Andy former doodlebugger mechanic

Old 06-07-2007, 06:30 PM
reel-tor
New User
Thanks for the info on the manual.

<o> </o>

Just to be clear I have had at two shops who said they can’t find anything wrong. One suggested that the intermittent noise that I heard was from the transfer housing, that the front axles were spinning when in 2-wheel dr.

I am taking it in tomorrow morning and will have a look myself.

Noise is intermittent, sometimes a clunk when just starting off. (Separate?) noise is a “rotational” sound at times can hardly hear only when going very slow in 2-wheel drive only, seems to stop when put into 4-wheel. Another noise is a grinding type sound very sporadic, can go for miles without a sound, other times it is very loud. New breaks on Rear and front have 50% pad. In reference to the steering being squirrelly-- When this noise is present a slight turn of the steering wheel to the right (not making a right turn) intensify the sound, turning the wheel to the left will sometimes lesson the sound; All very intermittent. When driving the truck tracks straight, but after hitting a large pot hole a month or so ago it seems to have a different feel, when turning the steering wheel towards the right. I know I’m not explaining this correctly please ask questions and I will try to do better.

(New issue A<st1:PersonName w:st="on">B</st1:PersonName>S light just came on.) As Monsta said a few weeks ago it’s almost impossible to identify a noise on the net. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on items to have checked.

<o> </o>

Mike

Old 06-07-2007, 06:32 PM
reel-tor
New User
BTW Can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong to have the tounge sticking out it is not intentional, I have the no icon button highlighted.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:24 AM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Once after the batter the abs light came on for about 1 hour they went off for no reason.
Nick

Old 06-08-2007, 02:24 AM
jackrista
Senior User
try listening with a thesascope to isolate the noise. my 00 x 4x4 had a bad sqeal / screach almost everytime you turned the wheel, simular to a p/s pump squel but twice as worst, it was bad ball joints, replace them and no noise. good luck.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:37 AM
andermac
Junior User
The noise you described sounds a lot like wheel bearing noise too me. I had a similar problem with my jeep 4x4 once and as it turn out when it was making the loud noise it was the bearing race spinning in the hub. Needless to say I had to buy one new wheel hub for the right front and have new bearings pressed into left front. Mine had 220k on it at time. The clearing up when turning to left a little is exactly what it did.

Andy former doodlebugger mechanic

Old 06-09-2007, 10:34 AM
reel-tor
New User
Turned out to be a bad wheel bearing, replaced the hub on the right front, was wobbling so much that it ground the ABS sensor away.
Two weeks and two shops ago I bought it in and described the noise, I suggested that it sounded like a wheel bearing or universals too me. ---nothing wrong, cant locate the source of the noise.
only 136K on the EX I would have expected at least twice that.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction etc.

Mike

Old 09-28-2014, 10:58 AM
Usbaldo Gomez
New User
I have 1997 ford f150 and it makes this horrible noise when I brake, it comes from the back driver side wheel. They are drum brakes but IV checked and they seem good? Any idea on what it could be?