General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Has anyone ever cut a tendon in thier hand/fingers and not have it repaired?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 07:48 PM
Frdbuy8589
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone ever cut a tendon in thier hand/fingers and not have it repaired?

Alright I talked to my doctor today and he told me that I had broken the tendon in my middle finger. Not the main tendon that controls the entire finger but the smaller one which controls the thrid joint and the end of the finger. I was told that I could have surgury on it to get it fixed however my mobility will not be restored, only partialy. My question is as anyone hear ever done this and are there going to be any complications other then the loss of movement? The doctor told me that many people with this injury will refuse the treatment for various reasons but he never said in 10 years down the road I'll have pain in my hand and eventual loss of the entire fingers movement. Thanks

Old 05-24-2007, 08:13 PM
berkad
Posting Guru
I cut my left thumb to the bone as a teenager. I had the tendon repaired and only have half the mobility as the other hand. Aside from some minor discomfort, I hardly notice, well unless I look at the big ole nasty scar.

The pain is more like discomfort, but nothing life changing. As a matter of fact, since thinking about it, it is bugging me. As soon as I stop thinking about it, I wont notice.

Oh, the repair was just a few internal stitches for me. No big deal

Old 05-24-2007, 08:37 PM
dcf4x4
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
breaking a tendon... wow.

I've stretched them and I even crushed one 2 weeks ago, but breaking it does not sound good. You must have been having a heck of a good time. :-)

The idea of having only partial control over a finger is much better then not having any at all. Even if it is 50% mobility, that's better then the finger tip just bouncing around.

My vote is to have it repaired... unless it costs serious money.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Frdbuy8589
Senior User
Its not that it flops around it just stays straight all the time unless I use another finger to fold it over (which it still bends). 3 hour surgury and my crappy insurance equals big money. The time was alright except for the 4 hours in the ER hoping the bleeding is gonna stop soon...

Old 05-24-2007, 10:56 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd get it fixed. So how did you get it cut?

Old 05-24-2007, 11:02 PM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You might want to invest in fixing it. Not a good thing to have your middle finger extended ALL the time...

Old 05-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I cut the tendon on my right index finger back in the 80's

4 internal disolving stitches and it has never has caused any problems.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:07 PM
King Triton
Postmaster

Originally Posted by ihateminimumwage
You might want to invest in fixing it. Not a good thing to have your middle finger extended ALL the time...

This just in,,,,,Man who has been attacked more times than Jerry Springer finally decides to get finger fixed after waving to passing cop!

Old 05-25-2007, 12:03 AM
bigun72
Posting Guru
haha thats funny rite there

Old 05-25-2007, 05:15 PM
Frdbuy8589
Senior User
For anyone interested I was carrying a transmission by the bellhousing and my friend had the tailshaft. I was backing up and my foot caught on a ramp for a drive on lift and fell over backwards. My friend tried to grab the trans so it wouldn't crush me but it came down on the lift, gouged my hand, caught my big toe then rolled down the ramp and landed on my right ankle. Not a good day but after finding my lost sneaker we got the trans and engine in my truck.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:30 PM
samurota
New User
I Cut the tendon in my Middle finger left Hand going to the last joint. 6 days in the Hospital, surgery in Operating room. 1977 or 78. I still can't bend the end of it and My hand is significantly weaker . If I am carrying anything heavy I sometimes have trouble. In the winter that finger gets Numb if it gets the least bit cold.
I have asked a couple of Doctors about fixing it and They said that I could end up worse. So I never Did get it fixed.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:56 AM
berkad
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ihateminimumwage
Isn't that how you say hello in Italian? My families Italian side has waved like that for years!

Old 06-01-2007, 12:45 PM
53fatfndr
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was grinding a point on a tungsten for my TIG welder and I accidentally rolled the knuckle of my left index finger right into the grinder. It was a darned bloody mess. I cut a vein and a tendon in half and nicked another tendon. I had to go to the emergency room to get it fixed. They gave me some pain killer shots and sewed the tendon back together right there. My hand was in a cast for 2-weeks. The Dr. never mentioned getting it fixed as being optional. I had a sort of pinching pain in it for almost 2-years. In cold weather, that knuckle feels a bit arthritic. In your case, I would say, seek a second opinion.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Keepin It Real
Elder User
samurota, six days in the hospital for a cut finger tendon? Must have been more going on than that.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:28 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
I would get it fixed, if you ever need to do something related to TYPING in a few years, having even 50% mobility might be worth it.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever cut a tendon in thier hand/fingers and not have it repaired?