1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

52 F1 Front Fenders

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 04:56 PM
cts1954
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
52 F1 Front Fenders

Is there anyone making patchs for the front of the F1 uppers, I have a perfect set of lowers and the front of my uppers are very poor.

Thanks
WGC

Old 05-20-2007, 06:10 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
There were several people selling patches for the part near the wheel well, where the upper joins the front extension, and a separate patch for the very front "eyebrow" over the headlights. I think MAC's Dennis C., etc. had them when I was looking, about 3 yrs ago. I've seen some and they aren't made at all like the stockers. From everything I've heard the fit was crap.

Take a look at the pic I posted in the thread called "Time to make F-1 Fender patches"; is that where yours are rusted? I gave up trying to make patches for that area, but after seeing Reamer's results using wood dies, I'd almost feel up to trying that route. If you've ever seen Ron Covell's tapes on metalforming, it makes you want to try stuff like that! But I ended up buying fiberglass, one-piece front fenders. Overall, I'd have to say they are a good deal. As soon as you patch steel fenders, they are going to start rusting again. It is honestly a bad design, catches dirt and water.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:34 PM
cts1954
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I will look. Mine have been patched before and I thought they were pretty good untill I started poking at them, more bondo than steel. I am going to media blast them down to bare metal and if there is any left start patching. I hit two horses with this truck back in 1979 (one off each fender)and I knew there was some filler but not this much. The seam between the lowere and upper had a big patch welded over it and the seam line was just filler. I certainly is easier taking things apart than putting them back together.

WGC