6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2008 f250 sc Broke down 3rd time

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 11:47 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mizzitch
Investing the money, even conservatively, that would have be spent on the diesel option would more than make up for any difference in trade in value.

Face it on a cost basis the gassers win unless you are towing heavy tons of miles per year. You ever wonder why the utility companies use F-250 through F-550 V10's? It's b/c their financial analysis of the two options tells them to.

Half the diesel owners would have a lower cost of owning and operating if they would've bought the V10 b/c they drive too few of miles hauling heavy. I guess they may not know what to do with all the time on their hands if they weren't bringing their diesel to the shop or picking it up or waiting for it...

with little basis in fact

Old 05-25-2007, 05:59 PM
kimminau2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have to agree that if you are not doing a lot of towing or hauling, don't waste the money on the diesel. And that opinion has nothing to do with the reliability of either motor. The V-10 is a great motor and a $600 option. Anybody that looks at these trucks in any configuration as a money making or saving investment is going to be disappointed. Very very few vehicles appreciate in value and that is usually only after many years have passed.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:15 PM
linehand
New User
[QUOTE=mizzitch]
You ever wonder why the utility companies use F-250 through F-550 V10's? It's b/c their financial analysis of the two options tells them to.

I see you live in MN. Ever think that the reason your utility co's use gassers is for cold starting? Cause most of the more southern (midwest included) utility co's use diesels. None of the trucks, we use on the crews where I work, are gassers.

Last edited by linehand; 05-25-2007 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:37 PM
mizzitch
Elder User
Yes, starting is another reason, but I was recently in Omaha and I saw a couple V10's there???

January and February are the only two months were a diesel could really give you trouble up here. Tons of personal use SD's are diesel here, it's harder to find a personal use V10 than a commercial one.

As a side note - while doing some landscaping today I noticed a 6.0 450 with a van body on it being towed by a old school F-Super Duty - that kinda says something when the NA 7.3 or 6.9L at least 10 year older tow truck is still out hauling ****.

Once the 6.0's are all off warrenty who is going to pay to keep them running?

Old 05-25-2007, 09:52 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
"Once the 6.0's are all off warrenty who is going to pay to keep them running?"

I suppose the owners?
Hey, is there some secret deal where the owners of V10s don't have to pay to keep them running when they are off warranty??

Old 05-26-2007, 01:23 AM
66stang351
Elder User
Yes, you may want to wear good walking shoes while driving a diesel built by navistar and tweeked by ford in since the 6.0, b/c you never will know when it will leave you stranded.

BTW, 66stang351, the 08's do not make good canidates for billet grilles, since the grille is already way out of proportion to the truck. I guess ford had to add more cooling capacity after tuning for 2007 emissions stds. They brag about adding cooling capacity as it is something that makes the trucks stronger than previous versions! - or it just makes them more prone to radiator/condenser damage.
Not that I put much stock in your opinions anyway. But I think the billet grille looks great on my truck. Look in my gallery and see.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:54 AM
mizzitch
Elder User
Originally Posted by origcharger
"Once the 6.0's are all off warrenty who is going to pay to keep them running?"

I suppose the owners?
Hey, is there some secret deal where the owners of V10s don't have to pay to keep them running when they are off warranty??

No, but they don't have egr, turbo, head gasket, injector, or glow plug problems.
Enjoy your diesel!

Old 05-26-2007, 10:17 AM
kimminau2
Elder User
No, but they don't have egr, turbo, head gasket, injector, or glow plug problems.
Enjoy your diesel!
Isn't this the 6.4 diesel forum? I love the V-10 also, but go somewhere else to praise the V-10 and bash the 6.0.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:32 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Enjoy your diesel!
We do enjoy it. If it wasn't for the internet I wouldn't even know I was supposed to be having problems

Old 05-27-2007, 12:03 AM
tn mac
Posting Guru
unless you have your head in the sand, you should know there are 6.0 engines giving ford a warranty bath. and in many cases ford didnt step up to the plate and take care of the problems. which is why guys like me no longer trust ford, and will not be buying ford diesels, still the best truck but the 6.4 is not proven and will only be in the sd for 2 years just long enough for the techs to figure out how to work on them and then ford will let you be there beta tester again. most who need to be able to depend on there trucks for work are switching to the v10 or another brand,just cant count on ford diesels.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:40 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tn mac
unless you have your head in the sand, you should know there are 6.0 engines giving ford a warranty bath. and in many cases ford didnt step up to the plate and take care of the problems. which is why guys like me no longer trust ford, and will not be buying ford diesels, still the best truck but the 6.4 is not proven and will only be in the sd for 2 years just long enough for the techs to figure out how to work on them and then ford will let you be there beta tester again. most who need to be able to depend on there trucks for work are switching to the v10 or another brand,just cant count on ford diesels.

Heres another example of something I read on the internet.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:31 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Investing the money, even conservatively, that would have be spent on the diesel option would more than make up for any difference in trade in value.
So, why didn't you buy a bicycle and invest the rest?
Even if you do haul stuff... wheelbarrows are still pretty cheap

I have realised my wrongs, I am selling my house and purchasing a cardboard box to sleep in so I can save my money and invest it, will also mean that I won't have to worry about the lights in the house, because sometimes they blew, I can't believe it that someone makes lights that blow ...

so, gotta run, real estate agent has just arrived
Whats this??? he drives a diesel F250...
What an IDIOT

so... pending my move to a box, I would encourage all those that can't contribute to this thread in the way the original poster intended to get back in thiers

Last edited by BigF350; 05-27-2007 at 02:42 AM.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:04 AM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
I wish I could add my $.02 worth to this pile of non-sense, but the last time I did that somebody asked me to keep it hush hush........lol. It might have been because I didnt make the situation any better, just worse

Cowboy Steve

Old 05-27-2007, 10:08 AM
kimminau2
Elder User
Come on man! Stop with the baseless BS! You had a bad experience. That in no way transfers to the majority of .....anything!! Your bad experience is insignificant and everyone is tired of hearing about it and how it is a fact that "most" people are buying V-10's and other brands.

It is amazing how everytime someone wants some information or even to brag the same 5 or 6 jerk offs, start bashing the new truck. This could have been a good thread get some info about problems someone (supposedly) is having and what Ford does about it. But it started out as a bash party from the start.
This site is getting bad!

Old 05-27-2007, 03:07 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
good post. Don't go get all ticked off and leave now -- there's plenty more Enthusiasts here than naysayers...

Quick Reply: 2008 f250 sc Broke down 3rd time