6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2008 f250 sc Broke down 3rd time

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 09:57 AM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't blame ya buying the D-max if it will keep you aout of the shop more often. I have had my 6.0 a short time and it has a 6p age Oasis report,and has visited the dealer 5 times in 6 months already thankfully I do not use it for a business. It's for pleasure and towing the toy hauler, but as soon as Chev or Dodge come out with a 3/4 ton SUV diesel the Ex will be on the market for sure! It has nothing to do with the EX at all, just the engine...............Ford does make the best truck, frame, body interior etc.......just wish they could get a handle on what's in the engine compartment! I test drove a new EPA D-max and the new 6.4 PS. While the Ford has less turbo lag the Chev still seems to have more power and slams you in the seat harder that does the PS 6.4. But that's irrelevant if the truck is in the shop all of the time. Sometimes power claims and twin turbo's are not everything, just make a dependable engine that can run for at least 3 / 36k without visiting the dealer for repair. My 6.0 in the first 21k had 1 trans repalcement, 1 turbo replacement and 3 rear main seal oil leaks. Since then 1 more oil leak, one more turbo, and various other things not related to the engine. Still love the truck but waiting on the competition to come up with a diesel SUV.....

Old 05-24-2007, 11:09 AM
firehawk198
Elder User
Originally Posted by KRSDF250
How bad is sucks?? Would like an idea of what I can expect from mine. What are you getting city and hiway empty and loaded?
From my experience so far, there are a lot of factors with fuel mileage with the 6.4. A 250 reg. cab with 3.73s weighs about weights about 6,000# runs 65mph at 1900 rpms. It is going to get much better mileage than my 450 with 4.30s that weights about 9,000# runs 65 at 2100 rpms. The magic number seems to be keeping below 2,000 rpms with the 6.4. On the turnpike at 65 my computers shows 12mpg and at 60 jumps to 16mpg. The other big factor is stop & go really drags the mileage down on my 450, it’s got a lot of weight to get up to speed. Also not too aerodynamic comparison to my Firebird. Sorry 4XfordFreak that you are having so many problems. Would have to agree with Kimminau, I believe the % of problems is low considering the first year. Ford and Navistar sure are trying to make a profit, not spend it in warrantee work. I use to be a die hard Chevy truck person at one time too.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:15 PM
4xFordFreak
Senior User
Dan are you saying that I cannot comment about the truck on the FTE website?
FTE i thought stood for Ford Truck Enthusiast? Is this website Only for positive comments for Ford truck owners?

Old 05-24-2007, 08:40 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by 4xFordFreak
FTE i thought stood for Ford Truck Enthusiast? Is this website Only for positive comments for Ford truck owners?
I'm not telling you what you can or can't say on FTE, only that you are pretty much full of bitching about someone else's truck (your bosses) and now are sounding pretty un-Ford-diehard-like. A Sissy-Duty??

Your next stop will be the dieselplace.com, to whine over there about your bosses new dmax that squats like heck with a load on it. Be sure to notice that the close to 20 year old technology IFS on that truck will be sitting on it's bump stops at a rest, with no weight in it. That's right, the truck depends on those little pieces of plastic as an integral component of the active suspension.

Talk about a sissy truck... Enjoy the ride over on the dmax side...

Old 05-24-2007, 08:49 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 4xFordFreak

Perhaps we need a definition of Enthusiast?

Old 05-24-2007, 08:57 PM
4xFordFreak
Senior User
I'm not sure if you have paid attention to the whole thread but there will still be a 08 PSD at the shop. I hope it does not give another problem. I think it will be a great side by side comparison of the 2 trucks. As i see from your info your not driving a 6.4 PSD. I have probably driven More Miles with a PSD than you have. I drove a 6.0 For a year and half putting 50K on it and it was in the shop 9 times. I drove 2 7.3 PSD for 180k. If the reliability of the 6.0 truck had been better i would still be driving it until it reached 180K. I actually like that truck better than the 08. The truck was much more functional. I s it wrong for me to expect more from a newer model truck than that of an older one? I expected at least the same performance out of the suspension. NOT LESS>

Old 05-24-2007, 11:33 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
Talk about a sissy truck... Enjoy the ride over on the dmax side...
Lol, words right outta my mouth. Converting from a ford to a chebby, and complaining about a ford on a FORD truck site, come on now. If thats not communism then I dont know what is.

Cowboy Steve

Old 05-25-2007, 08:03 AM
mizzitch
Elder User
If you need reliability in a new SD get the 5.4 or V10 - period

I agree the chebby is a heavy duty car - actually most cars have more front suspension travel, so what does that say for the chebby?

Old 05-25-2007, 10:01 AM
66stang351
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mizzitch
If you need reliability in a new SD get the 5.4 or V10 - period

I agree the chebby is a heavy duty car - actually most cars have more front suspension travel, so what does that say for the chebby?
That's about as useful as saying "If you want reliability get a pair of good walking shoes."

Old 05-25-2007, 10:05 AM
scottman70
Posting Guru
LOL just what I want a 5.4 or a V-10? Gas is $3.15 a gallon. I'll take the numerous visits to the repair shop in my 6.0 just to get better fuel mileage. Haven't seen any V-10's that get 16 in town lately nor any 5.4's for that matter.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Bagger
Elder User
A turbo and a few injectors after warrenty would buy alot of gas.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:46 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bagger
A turbo and a few injectors after warrenty would buy alot of gas.

The residual value of the diesel truck at 150,000 miles compared to the gasser would buy a lot of gas.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:01 AM
mizzitch
Elder User
Originally Posted by scottman70
LOL just what I want a 5.4 or a V-10? Gas is $3.15 a gallon. I'll take the numerous visits to the repair shop in my 6.0 just to get better fuel mileage. Haven't seen any V-10's that get 16 in town lately nor any 5.4's for that matter.
Diesel fuel pricces are slow to rise or fall, just wait diesel will get to be its normal 60 cents higher than gas - negating any benfit of living at the dealer with your truck, I mean driving a 6.0

To each his own - you obviously don't mind having an unreliable truck. If my truck were to breakdown while towing to a regatta there would be either 50 pissed college students w/o crew boats to row at the regatta or 50+ high schoolers through master rowers (old Folks) w/o boats, depending on who I am towing for.

I've had the truck since new and it has only broke down once in 168,000 miles for a fuel pump at 80,000 miles, after I was running around doing errands and took the truck over 100 mph on a nearly empty tank, I was dumb and overheated the fuel pump most likely. At least I was refueling 1/2 mi from a shop when the pump took a shat. I bet the average number of tows a 6.0 gets in 168k is well over 1.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:19 AM
mizzitch
Elder User
Talking

Originally Posted by origcharger
The residual value of the diesel truck at 150,000 miles compared to the gasser would buy a lot of gas.

Investing the money, even conservatively, that would have be spent on the diesel option would more than make up for any difference in trade in value.

Face it on a cost basis the gassers win unless you are towing heavy tons of miles per year. You ever wonder why the utility companies use F-250 through F-550 V10's? It's b/c their financial analysis of the two options tells them to.

Half the diesel owners would have a lower cost of owning and operating if they would've bought the V10 b/c they drive too few of miles hauling heavy. I guess they may not know what to do with all the time on their hands if they weren't bringing their diesel to the shop or picking it up or waiting for it...

Old 05-25-2007, 11:33 AM
mizzitch
Elder User
Originally Posted by 66stang351
That's about as useful as saying "If you want reliability get a pair of good walking shoes."
Yes, you may want to wear good walking shoes while driving a diesel built by navistar and tweeked by ford in since the 6.0, b/c you never will know when it will leave you stranded.

BTW, 66stang351, the 08's do not make good canidates for billet grilles, since the grille is already way out of proportion to the truck. I guess ford had to add more cooling capacity after tuning for 2007 emissions stds. They brag about adding cooling capacity as it is something that makes the trucks stronger than previous versions! - or it just makes them more prone to radiator/condenser damage.

Quick Reply: 2008 f250 sc Broke down 3rd time