6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Who's gonna tune one first?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:30 AM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BUCKY44
We dont have emissions in Florida I can take out whatever cats I want we dont have to do inspections anymore. They did away with that a few years back since all you had to do was slip the guy a few bucks and you passed they got the hang of it and just did away with it. Now we can run around with no cats and straight pipes with no problems... So I am very interested in the removal of everything and run the straight pipe if anyone figures it out.
The emissions legislation affecting diesels is Federal not state, therefore, it does affect Florida.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:43 PM
SuperchipsMike
Junior User
Originally Posted by rob_nc
I'd like to see raw numbers instead of track times. Too many variables affect 1/4 mile times. Besides, we buy these trucks to work with, not race with.
The same can be said about dyno numbers only. Not trying to start an argument, but track times do show overall potential through multiple gears. It is far too easy to skew dyno numbers, or make good dyno numbers that have no "real world" use. Now, thats not to say that we won't have both for our products.

Many people (at least what I see here in Florida) use these trucks for BOTH purposes. You got to admit, it is cool to see a 7500 lb work truck spank a "race car" at the track.

Mike

Old 05-15-2007, 05:44 PM
SuperchipsMike
Junior User
Originally Posted by powerstroked162
oh you dawg mike! lol, you dont work to hard out there today now haha

Cowboy Steve
Work Hard - never, have fun - always!!!

Old 05-15-2007, 05:45 PM
SuperchipsMike
Junior User
Originally Posted by Customz
I don't think any tuned diesel is gonna pass emissions. That's what stock settings are for...
If tuned correctly, they can.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:51 PM
SuperchipsMike
Junior User
Originally Posted by sglynx1
I wasn't saying it wa bad to modify the truck... it's just that the tree huggin hippies are more powerful politically than everyone thought. They are effectingnot only the design of new vehicles, but the laws governing -use-. Soon we'll be told where we can drive and where we can't drive. They are gonna crash down hard in the next few years on emissions violations and vehicle modifications in this great country. I had a cop pull me over the other day and tell me... "Ha, son you're gonna have to do somethin bout this truck in a year or two..." Supposedly there will be new legislation regarding vehicle heighth. =( My truck isn't even big.
It is true that the emissions standards are getting tougher. It will, however, take a more educated tuner to get more power out of these newer trucks without adversely affecting emissions.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:56 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
What'd you find out at the track Mike?

Cowboy Steve

Old 05-15-2007, 10:02 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Warranties, legalities, and environmental issues are important, yes, but what I really want to know, and call me crazy, is what, technically, the 6.4 can be made to do with only tuning, and without blowing it apart.

Last edited by EnviroCon; 05-15-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:04 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
So do I

Cowboy Steve

Old 05-15-2007, 11:40 PM
sglynx1
Elder User
Aye, now that is a good train of thought... what can it do, up to it's breaking point??

Old 05-16-2007, 12:20 AM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if Matt (PSD 60L Fx4) has gotten his '08 yet, but I would imagine he'll be the first to be able to tell us definitively what the breaking point for a 6.4L is. And I imagine he'll do it the same way he did a few years back with the 6.0L. . . By driving it hard until he blew it up. . .Several times.

I used to love reading about the torture he would put that truck through.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:03 AM
SuperchipsMike
Junior User
Originally Posted by powerstroked162
What'd you find out at the track Mike?

Cowboy Steve
1.6 seconds drop in time and a gain of 8MPH.

It was a fun day!

Old 05-16-2007, 07:20 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperchipsMike
The same can be said about dyno numbers only. Not trying to start an argument, but track times do show overall potential through multiple gears. It is far too easy to skew dyno numbers, or make good dyno numbers that have no "real world" use. Now, thats not to say that we won't have both for our products.

Many people (at least what I see here in Florida) use these trucks for BOTH purposes. You got to admit, it is cool to see a 7500 lb work truck spank a "race car" at the track.

Mike
VERY good post.

A lot of people take dyno read outs to be gospel... when you can get, more to the point I HAVE got a 18% variation in peak hp in the same day, with the same car, same dyno, same operator.

Back to back track runs are probably the best measure of comparing changes.
Well, they are on big 4x4 trucks with a slushbox, where 60ft times can be pretty consistent.
2100lb, 2000hp Rotary powered funny cars... not quite as much.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:53 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Thatnks for the input Big Mike, very impressive numbers! Keep up the great work

Cowboy Steve

Old 05-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Enomra
Elder User
It would be nice if superchips would refine their programming for the 6.0 before they move on to a new engine. I think SCT is kicking rear right now on all the programming.... So when it comes to a tuner for the 6.4 my guess is there will be no other choice....SCT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-16-2007, 06:02 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Thats a bold statemnet your making Enema! Mike has gone outta his way to give us some info on his tuning and what he's found and your gonna dawg him like that?! Very bold move Enema man, very bold!

*Big Mike, Dont let Enema man stop you from posting on here. Your work is phenomenal and your one of the first to shed some light on what tuning is gonna be like for these new rigs and I appreciate it very much so! Keep up the great work and disregard what Enema man has to say, he clearly is full of hate and discontent towards your product, he speaks only for himself*

Cowboy Steve

Quick Reply: Who's gonna tune one first?