1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Gotta start somewhere

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 11:10 PM
56efffie
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome John, Thats a clean looking truck you got there, very nice start!

Old 05-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Sarge513
New User
Thanks for the warm welcome

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Looks like I found the right place to get answers to all my dumb questions.

Thanks also for all the questions about my truck. Judging from some of the photos I've seen in your galleries it looks like I got pretty lucky when I found this one. I can't believe how little rust it has. It's five years older than I am and it certainly has less rust than I do.

I'm not sure if the motor is the original one or not. The front motor mount looks like part of it was removed with a torch by someone with a very unsteady hand. I do know from the serial number that it was originally equipped with a V-8 and a 3 speed. The current motor is a Ford Y block. Maybe I'll find out more when I get the grease cleaned off.

I think I have figured out how to create a gallery and post pictures so I'll be adding some more in the near future. I'm not sure which way I'm going with it yet. I'm leaning towards keeping it as original as possible but some of those modern convienences would sure be nice.

Funny how so many of you could be mistaken about where God's country is. I suppose it's only natural to be a little jealous when you gotta live somewhere where the temperature gets into the triple digits or your always dodging tornados. Fear not, I have great patience. I'm sure you'll all come around eventually.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Scott123
Elder User
I always considered mid-Missouri God's country...more like God's back yard, down the slope, near the septic lagoon....

Anyway, you do have a nice clean looking truck from the looks of it. I'd be sure to check everywhere and then some for where the mice have been. All wires inside and out (sounds like you already did that), all upholtery, air cleaner, headlight buckets, inside doors, etc. Dirt dobbers and wasp nests too. This is all assuming you weren't going to tear the whole truck apart in the first place, it looks like it just needs to start right up and go.

Nice truck!!

Old 05-11-2007, 03:19 PM
stewards68
Senior User
Beauty of a truck, Sarge. I'm doing a similar restoration, added a few modern conveniences with stereo(hidden), disc brakes, seat belts, 12V, took out a few leaves. But kept the original 6 cyl and otherwise quite stock. Getting close to on the road. Sounds we're of like mind in that department, you're starting with a bit better candidate, though.

We're not of like mind about "god's country", though. I suppose everywhere is his country, but I'd WAY rather dodge triple digits or tornadoes than deal with all that winter up there!!

Old 05-11-2007, 05:57 PM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
John, welcome aboard. Are yor near Appleton? Was out there to the Seagrave plant some years back. Have a great time with your rig. These guys are the best.

Jim G

Old 05-11-2007, 07:55 PM
272VeeAte
Junior User
I thought God's country was the US of A! =D In any case... Y Block for life! 312? I am quite fond of the 272.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:29 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

beautiful truck !!!! showed the wife as that is the factory color for mine and she liked it . welcome .welcome ,and welcome again !!!!!

Old 05-11-2007, 10:23 PM
RUSTY50F1
Posting Guru
People like you make me want to cry when I look at the big pile in my garage. Pile ooch... that pile is my truck. Welcome to the FTE it's a fun place to spend time. Just like being in school again. Learn something every day. That's a sweet truck have fun. .........RUSTY

Old 05-12-2007, 10:05 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ill be i know where you are rusty ! i used to drive otr and delivered to a feed or pet supply store there in mustang a couple of times was usually camped out in one of the ta truck 'em holes in okey town

Old 05-12-2007, 11:36 PM
RUSTY50F1
Posting Guru
Well If your ever back in the area give me a shout. I got a extra spot that's a bit better on the back than those places are. .........RUSTY

Old 05-14-2007, 12:51 PM
brucewolff
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know you meant to say "Gods State". Although, I think some of you cheeseheads do live in your own little country(World). HAHA!! Seriously, you have a nice looking truck to start with. Wlecome to FTE.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Sarge513
New User
Okay, I'll admit it. It's all God's country (but northwest Wisconsin is His favorite).

I feel like I'm making progress. I got the wiring harness out. I think once I untangle the original wires from the after market turn signal wires it will be useable. Hope so. The replacement wiring harnesses are spendy.

Speaking of spendy, I was reclining in the hammock in my back yard today sipping a cold beverage and looking over the catalog I got from LMC. Looks like a guy could go hog wild on a restoration. No wonder I see mid-fifties pickups on E-bay for $35,000.00.

The next project is the gas tank. Hopefully with a lot of Liquid Wrench and a few choice expletives I'll be able to get it out without doing too much damage. I'm hoping I'll be able to clean it out and re-use it, but the sediment bowl on the fuel pump is half filled with rust so I'm not going to hold my breath on that.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:22 PM
doug51f1
Elder User
Hey John, Welcome aboard! My 51 is also my first truck project. I have done several pre 67 VW's and a few old sedans of various manufacture, but I always wanted to do a truck. It's become an obsession. My wife calls it "the mistress", sorry to get off topic, anyway welcome and have a great time. There's some really great guys (and gals) here with enough knowledge to do most anything. They help me out all of the time.
Doug

Old 05-14-2007, 10:44 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
John, stop reading and give Mid Fifty www.midfifty.com a call! ask them to send you one of their free print catalogs. Besides being a big kids Xmas toy catalog it is also filled with some of the best exploded view drawings and other essential info. In many ways it is better than a factory shop manual. The ladies there (it's an all female owned and staffed company!) are VERY knowlegable and helpful, and they put tootsie rolls in your orders.
Do a search on gas tanks here to get a lot of info on how to rescue your tank, it can be saved pretty easily unless it is nothing but swiss cheese. Stock replacement tanks are also available in steel, stainless or plastic. Many relocate the tank to under the bed in the rear, and using a Mustang tank there is quite easy and common.
If any bolts are heavily corroded it is often quite a bit easier to just tighten them until they break rather than trying to unscrew them.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Sarge513
New User
Thanks AX and everyone else for the suggestions. I feel like a kid in a candy store already. Wonder how come I never found Midfifty when I was searching the web for Ford truck parts.

This project is going to be a lot of fun. My kids keep asking when they get to go for a ride in the truck. I'm anxious myself. I told them I have to make sure everything is working right before we take it out on the road. Safety first.

Jim, Appleton is on the opposite side of the state from Eau Claire. I spent one summer working in Appleton when I was with the Department of Justice. Our office was only a couple block away from a place that built fire trucks. I didn't like Appleton much. Way too many people. I once submitted a suggestion that we sell everything east of Hwy 51 and south of Hwy 29 to the State of Illinois. I never got a response.

Quick Reply: Gotta start somewhere