6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Hot Shot's Secret - Oil Additive

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 01:05 AM
Swift193
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
Rex: You can also switch over to the new CJ4 rated oil as soon as possible and possibly avoid the injection issues. I know CJ4 was formulated for less soot and greater resistance to oil shearing (viscosity break down). If you want to take it a measure further, go with Beach's theory and run a synthetic. I myself think the CJ4 and 5k mile OCs will be enough to keep the injectors purring along. I have actively resisted either of the flashes being put in my truck to "cure" injector stiction (is that how it's spelled?!) and my truck starts and runs great! Of course with only 6000 miles on it...

my $.02 worth (oh, and I'm not an additive kind of guy either -- worked too close to this stuff for close to 30 years at a major oil co...)
Dan, I am not really pro additives either, it's like taking pills, if I can get this ole body to work without them......well same with my engines. But sometimes circumstances dictate "pills". Anyhow that IS the route I am taking. The Oil I have is Rotella T that is rated CJ4 so I'm already there. Now if I can get my filters squared away.....I was told not to use the aftermarket ones I had chosen, so they are going back. Now I need Pep Boys to have a sale. Thanks, Rex

Old 05-23-2007, 12:09 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by Swift193
Dan, I am not really pro additives either, it's like taking pills, if I can get this ole body to work without them......well same with my engines. But sometimes circumstances dictate "pills". Anyhow that IS the route I am taking. The Oil I have is Rotella T that is rated CJ4 so I'm already there. Now if I can get my filters squared away.....I was told not to use the aftermarket ones I had chosen, so they are going back. Now I need Pep Boys to have a sale. Thanks, Rex
Of course you're free to do what you want, but even the promoter of the product doesn't recommend it unless you are experiencing stiction problems already. Using your pill analogy: this isn't a vitamin you take proactively for preventative measures, it's more like an antibiotic that you only take when you have a specific problem you're trying to cure...

Read thru the thread again, maybe you had missed that...

Good luck!

Old 05-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Chris Gabe
Former Vendor
Guys,
I do have a few people using the product as a preventatve. They are oly using it at half the recommended dosage. I think this might be a good idea if you think you are going to have problems. Chances are you are going to have problems if: 1. You have a lot of idle time. 2. You pull a lot and don't change oil often. 3. You don't change oil often. 4. Your truck sits a lot. 5. You use an oil with a low TBN.

The build up in the injectors doesn't start to show until there is enough of a problem that the computer can't compensate for it. If build up begins in one of the injectors the computer can compensate for it. It will continue to do this for a good bit until finally you get misfire or a very sluggish acceleration.

Thanks,
Chris Gabrelcik

Old 05-23-2007, 01:16 PM
Swift193
Junior User
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
...... Using your pill analogy: this isn't a vitamin you take proactively for preventative measures, it's more like an antibiotic that you only take when you have a specific problem you're trying to cure...
That's exactly what I'm saying. If I don't need it, I don't want to use it. I under stand the HSS is for a specific problem. My original concern was in not driving the truck everyday, would that create this problem or was there any different problems to contend with in a diesel engine? Apparently they are the same concerns as with any engine. Thanks, Rex.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:02 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Just added fresh rotella oil and a bottle of HSS, boy thats some different smelling stuff, I almost drank some, lol. heading on a weekend trip, Ill keep posted on any results.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:53 PM
Reidicus
Senior User
Just thought id update you on my use of HSS. A noticible decrease in missfiring when starting the truck up. About two seconds of shuttering and all is good. Smoke has gone way down also. Usually I get a puff of it out the tail pipe Now its barely noticible. An increase in MPG as well. Another 4000k untill next oil change. By then the truck should run like new!

Old 05-29-2007, 02:38 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
that sounds very encouraging & I am glad to hear some results!

Old 05-29-2007, 06:05 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Ive got about 400 miles on mine now, Only thing Ive noticed so far is smoother shifting when cold

Old 05-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by a-rod
Ive got about 400 miles on mine now, Only thing Ive noticed so far is smoother shifting when cold
How does an oil additive make for "smoother shifting"???

I would think that "smoother shifting" would come from fresh/clean transmission fluid or additive??

Man... this stuff is a "mericle in a can!!!!!"

Old 05-29-2007, 10:36 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Well maybe you should do more research on sticking injectors, they can cause hard shifting when cold. I was up in the moutains all weekend and it got down to 30s degrees at night. Just seemed to shift a little smoother the next mornings. I cant say nothing for sure yet though. If it was a "miracle in can" it would have kept me from smashing my steering stabilizer on a large rock....

Last edited by a-rod; 05-29-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:45 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by a-rod
Well maybe you should do more research on sticking injectors, they can cause hard shifting when cold.
... and how do I do more research on sticking injectors? I have 96,500 problem free miles... so how do I understake what you want me to learn about? In 30 degree weather, use a lighter weight oil and/or let your motor warm up. This is why I use 5W-40 synthetic oil year round... great cold weather start-up and great hot weather protection!!!!!!

I can buy my 4 gallons (16 qts) of Rotella-Syn 5W-40 at Walmart for less than your 14qts of conventional oil and the cost of this additive!!!!

I use Rotella-Syn 5W-40 oil and change every 5,000 miles and after reading this thread since it started, I think that there is something to using synthetic motor oils? The seller of Hotshot even stated it was never tested on/with synthetic oils... why not? I believe that the "cleansing action" of this additive can be found in name brand 100% synthetic 5W-40 motor oil... and just forget the additive??

How many use Chevron, Mobil or Rotella synthetic 5W-40 motor oils and change every 5,000 miles and have stiction or sticky injectors? I asked once before and no one replied... it seems to be a convential oil problem for some and not everyone at that?

Last edited by Beachbumcook; 05-29-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:50 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
I totally agree, Synthetics seem to be the way to go with these motors, my only problem is that its hard for me to get it around here, wal-mart is the only place in my town that carries rotella synthetic, and its off the shelves faster than they can stock it... autozone, checker, napa, none carry the synthetic. But I plan to find a source and start using it as soon as possible.

Last edited by a-rod; 05-29-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:00 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so beach does that discount an entire group of users whom have striction problems just beacause you & I dont so we have used Delo-syn & change our oil at minimum interval religously but not every owner has that luxury as well as the secondhand truck with unknown maintenance? sorry I cannot discount the need for this product (providing it works) & Iam starting to read favorable results & may start using as a preventive in the fleet when the results fit my criteria for testing (eg....does this s*$@ work or not?).

Old 05-29-2007, 11:10 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Well I guess ford should have required every 6.0 owner to use synthetics and change the oil every 5k or there injector warranty would be voided

Old 05-30-2007, 12:34 AM
loubell
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
How does an oil additive make for "smoother shifting"???
If the engine is running rough, whether warmed up or not, it will lead to weird auto trans shifting (late shifts, hard shifts, etc.). I have experienced this abnormal shifting even in older vehicles with carburetors. Engine miss, vapor lock, plugged fuel filter, etc., can all cause funny shifting.

Quick Reply: Hot Shot's Secret - Oil Additive