1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Exhaust Brake Mod In-Depth Write-up

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 07:43 PM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 97_power$troke
I got mine off Ebay but it does use the EBPV and work great I pull a 28' enclosed car hauler with a 3000lbs car and a 28' 5th wheel with a 4900 Kubota 4x4 full cab and in the NC MTNS. it does GREAT. but it has a 3 sec. delay how can I rewire it so when I flip it it comes on.
You can't, you are supplying the power immediatley already, it just takes that long to do whatever it does to build up the pressure. All we can do is plan ahead.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:00 PM
97_power$troke
Freshman User
10-4 Thanks

Old 05-06-2007, 11:23 PM
97-7.3dump
Freshman User
Not to jump in late.......but....frequently I haul very heavy loads (25-30K total weight) and can tell you from my expirience that the $12 EBPV is worth every penny I spent on it and that is the point! (although I would never recommend it) A true exaust brake works much better as my brother has one on his Scummings.
The point is for ME they are not worth 100 times the price, but for others they are worth it. If I hauled heavy loads every day then it would be worth it. Everyone must make that choice.
97Dump

Old 05-06-2007, 11:51 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Exactly what I was talking about

Another great thing about it is it keeps your egts up when your being pushed down a hill by a big trailer. Egts go both ways, too high is bad and to low is bad (ie <200*)

Old 05-07-2007, 06:36 AM
97_power$troke
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 97-7.3dump
Not to jump in late.......but....frequently I haul very heavy loads (25-30K total weight) and can tell you from my expirience that the $12 EBPV is worth every penny I spent on it and that is the point! (although I would never recommend it) A true exaust brake works much better as my brother has one on his Scummings.
The point is for ME they are not worth 100 times the price, but for others they are worth it. If I hauled heavy loads every day then it would be worth it. Everyone must make that choice.
97Dump
are you saying that you haul 12-15 ton on your truck. just want to know what these trucks will haul. THANKS

Old 05-07-2007, 11:19 AM
dave at BD Power
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by powerstroked162
Words right outta my mouth, lol. I have hauled loads well over 12k davie and have had no problem puttin the EBPV on and slowin the rig down. My Brake works just as good as yours does for ten times less the price. Thanks for your info and appreciate you supporting FTE but sell your info in the classified section brother.

Cowboy Steve
Unbelievable!!! I have told you that I sell EBPV as well and agree they work good for lighter application. I have recommended my competitors as an alternative to a BD brake for those wanting an exhaust brake over a EBPV just to show my intentions here are not to sell my product. I have given my "educated" opinion in attempts to help some people who may be on the fence regarding which one to buy and still I get accused of trying to sell my products????

I don't own the company and get paid by the hour, I don't get paid commission and use my spare time on these forums trying to help share my years of experience, but I guess your the expert "brother" so with that said your on your own guys, if you have any questions ask Cowboy Steve he seem to know it all!

Old 05-07-2007, 11:24 AM
dave at BD Power
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by IDMooseMan
Dave at BD Power,

I'm not sure I agree with everyone on this subject. I'm here to gather information and make a decision based on the information gathered. I agree that $12 is a lot easier on the budget than $1000 (or whatever) but, I'll be towing a 24' TT with my family in the tow vehicle (see my sig).

During my enlistment in the Air Force, I had my share of scary rides but, that doesn't mean my wife and daughters will "enjoy" the same rides that I had. Would you send some information on your products to me? If you send me a PM, I'll provide my contact info.

Thanks for the information provided here and for sponsoring FTE.
Thanks for understanding my intentions and your support in the forces are always appreciated!! I will PM you now, provide me with your contact information and I will send you some information on exhaust brakes and EBPV set ups as well I will throw in some goodies to show my appreciation!

Old 05-07-2007, 11:41 AM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=dave at BD Power]I don't own the company and get paid by the hour, I don't get paid commission and use my spare time on these forums trying to help share my years of experienceQUOTE]

Dave, there are alot of us that do appreciate both your support, time and experience. Thank you for sharing all of them. Alot of us like to have as much knowledge as possible and appreciate the input. Thanks again.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:06 PM
dave at BD Power
Former Vendor
[QUOTE=plowhand]
Originally Posted by dave at BD Power
I don't own the company and get paid by the hour, I don't get paid commission and use my spare time on these forums trying to help share my years of experienceQUOTE]

Dave, there are alot of us that do appreciate both your support, time and experience. Thank you for sharing all of them. Alot of us like to have as much knowledge as possible and appreciate the input. Thanks again.
I appreciate that and I am sorry if I expressed some frustrations on the Forum this morning. Sorry to all if I seem like I am trying to push my products, that is not my intentions!

Old 05-07-2007, 01:25 PM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
[QUOTE=dave at BD Power]
Originally Posted by plowhand

I appreciate that and I am sorry if I expressed some frustrations on the Forum this morning. Sorry to all if I seem like I am trying to push my products, that is not my intentions!
Your good, differences of opinion are what makes this forum good, and we appreciate your time and your companys money!!!

Old 05-07-2007, 01:58 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

wow, everything is in its place now, good think for the forum.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:16 PM
skittlejr
Elder User
tim, steve... jake brakes (Jacobs engine compression brake) do work with exhaust valves. they actually hold them open turning the engine into a giant air compressor during compression stroke. on the late model electronic engines, the ecm turns off the injectors as well. its a large housing that bolts on top the rocker assemblies. uses engine oil,pressurized by a plunger in the housings to hold another plunger down on the exhaust rocker.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:26 PM
97-7.3dump
Freshman User
97-powerstroke: No, I do not haul that total ON my truck (7500 lbs is my trucks max net with airbags) the rest is on my dumptrailier. Do NOT put 12-15 ton on your truck if you want to keep it in one piece IMHO.
Dave: I ditto Plowhand and Bkcowboss' sentiments. The quality information from informed friends of PSD's like yourself is invaluable to many of us and I would hate to see your posts hindered in any way.
Keep on hauling
97dump

Old 05-07-2007, 04:08 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dave at BD Power
if you have any questions ask Cowboy Steve he seem to know it all!
Dave you must not read many of cowboy steves posts . What can I say he likes to be a smart a$$, thats what makes him a cool guy, he brings some humor to us.

I'm glad your giving your experience with exhaust brakes but thats all myself, steve and bkcowboss are doing too

Old 05-07-2007, 05:02 PM
97_power$troke
Freshman User
I haul 4110 lbs in the truck bed today. brake work great.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Brake Mod In-Depth Write-up