1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

It's in the way, what do you guys do for storage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 07:33 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a tarp garage absolutely blow away!!!I had my truck under it and a spring storm came in fast--my neighbor said it just lifted straight up and flew on the freeway-it landed on the road and a truck slammed on his brakes and 3 dudes carried it away-poles and all--all I had left was 1 aluminum pole and the cement in the ground where the poles were set in!!! go figure!!!!
Now I am loving the vanbody boxes.The best storage ever made!!!I have 1 that is 8 x 8 x 28' long and airtight--not a single spider can live in there.
Then I have 2 (14) foot vanboxes for tractors and as a sandblast room--I also have a 24 x 32 two story gambrel barn and it is full of 56 parts and Avanti parts.
All this means--the more stuff you have the more buildings you need. Forget those little wood barns---buy a vanbox--you can always sell them when you are done.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:54 PM
54fever
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a single car garage and only have room for my 54 which is now scattered between two single car garages,(i'm in a long restoration process) one i rent which is only a few streets over from were i live and one i own. I would never even think about getting rid of my 54 as far as my daily driver, i had a auto start system installed so i can just set my heater controls according to the weather, aim it through the window of my warm house and bingo! my truck is running and getting warm or cool depending on the season. problems solved. Just remember, you can get a newer truck but once the older trucks are gone...they are gone forever, so we must take the best care possible to keep the ones we have from disappearing for ever. A know its a little corny but that's how i feel.

Last edited by 54fever; 05-03-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:10 AM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Sounds Like the best option

Originally Posted by black58
Sell the 25,000 dollar truck. Use half of it to make your '60 absolutely beautiful. Use most of the other half to add on to the garage. Use the rest to buy your wife something nice. Drive the 60 every day. Everybody wins!
Black58 - Now I know who I'm comming to when I need deep advice
you da man

Old 05-04-2007, 11:42 AM
FOWL1
Tuned
Try this link

http://www.autotoystore.com/carcapsule.html

I've seen these at Carlisle and spoke to the guy that sells them and he claims they are great. They carry one for inside and outside as well. Supposedly, moving air will not allow condensation to form, so one of these in a garage would actually be better than just the garage.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:29 PM
brucewolff
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you need to look for a larger garage with a house attached for the wife.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Danny in CO
Freshman User
Talking

Bring it about 40 miles north to Larkspur. You can build a garage on my property to store it in. The only stipulation is that you have to build the garage double wide so I can use the other side!!!

Danny

Old 05-04-2007, 10:33 PM
samahi72
Senior User
Originally Posted by FOWL1
Try this link

http://www.autotoystore.com/carcapsule.html

I've seen these at Carlisle and spoke to the guy that sells them and he claims they are great. They carry one for inside and outside as well. Supposedly, moving air will not allow condensation to form, so one of these in a garage would actually be better than just the garage.
That carcapsule was pretty cool. I had never heard of it. We used one of those old metal containers when we moved. Here in colo it can get in the 90's and occasionally 100. It gets so blasted hot in there, I would worry about the leather seat. So now i am thinking about those double car carports and enclosing it like someone suggested. Thanks for all the ideas.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:35 PM
FOWL1
Tuned
The guy that was selling them at Carlisle was saying that with moving air, there is no humidity. I think he said you leave the windows cracked and the air foows to the interior as well. With a garage or carport, there is humidity. I haven't gotten one yet, but he was saying that a guy came back to him for a fan after 9 years. He said the capsule is only guaranteed for 10 years ( I Think) This thing will run on a 12 volt battery as well. It's only suppsed to use like $5.00 of electric per year or something. Anyway, it's cheaper than builing something and if anyone here has onechime in because I am seriously considering one myself. If you use it in a garage, he said things like shovels and rakes(handles etc.. bounce off of it so the car or truck doesn't get scratched. I'm not trying to sell it to you or anything, but I have seen them and they are pretty cool.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:05 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I hope to convert my 16x80 mobile home into storage after we move into the new building, but I'm sure the wife will say no.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:14 PM
dffay
Elder User
I used HF car dollys (the four wheel caster kind) and shoved the truck into the corner and next to the wall. I was able to squeeze out more space for equipment and walking room.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:49 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
my wife says mine is always in the way and i have this bad habit of having old cars and trucks follow me home . i have to go pickup another 55 i bought , but it and some other parts will eventually end up in my son in laws hands , i have to drag that 74 or 5 ltd i have { disc brake 9 inch 400 4v etc. } home and get it parted and im trying to buy a 62 galaxy 500 2dr. from a buddy as he has no room for it { 30 plus cars and trucks } . so obviously mine , me and the others are always in the way . once mine is finished though im gonna drive the wheels off of it and it wont be in the drive long enough to be in the way!!

Old 05-07-2007, 11:20 AM
samahi72
Senior User
Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56
I had a tarp garage absolutely blow away!!!I had my truck under it and a spring storm came in fast--my neighbor said it just lifted straight up and flew on the freeway-it landed on the road and a truck slammed on his brakes and 3 dudes carried it away-poles and all--all I had left was 1 aluminum pole and the cement in the ground where the poles were set in!!! go figure!!!!
Now I am loving the vanbody boxes.The best storage ever made!!!I have 1 that is 8 x 8 x 28' long and airtight--not a single spider can live in there.
Then I have 2 (14) foot vanboxes for tractors and as a sandblast room--I also have a 24 x 32 two story gambrel barn and it is full of 56 parts and Avanti parts.
All this means--the more stuff you have the more buildings you need. Forget those little wood barns---buy a vanbox--you can always sell them when you are done.
That is what I was afraid of when I had my tarp garage. The little pins that are supposed to anchor it to the ground are a joke. So I put a 2 x 8 across the frame work, front and back and then drove my Ford on top of the 2x8's. so I had the weight of the truck holding down the tarp garage. The other problem with my tarp garage was trying to get the door open far enough to get into the truck.