1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

T-18 in 80 f-100 Driveshaft Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 06:31 PM
wkett
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T-18 in 80 f-100 Driveshaft Questions

I have a 80 F-100 short bed 2wd with a 300 six and 3 speed column shift. I bought a T-18 4 speed from a 69 F-100. I cut the floor out and have a floor shift floor cover. The crossmember lined up with the much shorter T-18. I had to use the rear tranny mount from my 3 speed. So far so good... now I have to replace my 1 piece slip yoke drive shaft with a 2 piece fixed yoke drive shaft. Did they make a 2 piece drive shaft for a short bed? Do I need to buy a
long bed drive shaft and have it shortened? It lookes like the center bearing must sit very close to the gas tank and be mounted 3 to 4 inches lower than the frame to keep the drive shaft angle right. Also the speedometer cable won't work but I'm hopeing to buy a older cable that fits the T-18 and hook it to my speedometer. I hope I dont have to go back to the 3 speed. Help!!

Old 04-27-2007, 08:17 PM
scottie2hottie
Postmaster
why do you need/want a 2 piece drive shaft? IMO just take it to a place that makes shafts and have make a one piecer. no need for carrier in short bed truck....a place around here does em about $100 balanced.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:33 PM
wkett
Junior User
I have to have a 2 piece because I have a fixed yoke on the tranny and need the slip joint the 2 piece'rs have.

Old 04-28-2007, 05:09 PM
wkett
Junior User
I called a place this morning no answer so I hung up. The guy calls me back and says he normally dosn't work saturdays but he was on his way to the shop. I told him my story, he said measure the length and bring my 80 and the 69 donor trucks driveshafts in. I put them on the counter he looked at it and said I'll build you a all new one 2 peice slip joint but no center bearing. Then he said come back in about 3 hours and I'll have it ready. He put in spicer u-joints and the shaft was way bigger around than the old one. The thing looks strong enough for a 460. Back home, it went right in and took it for a drive. Now I have to figure out my speedometer cable and I'll be done. If some one this morning told me my truck would be back on the road this afternoon I would of never believed it. Thanks for looking. FTE is a great help with my truck problems.