1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

DPFE ...fixed...not replaced...FIXED!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 03:07 PM
scratchanddent
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone done this with the updated plastic bodied replacement? or is that impossible?

Old 09-05-2016, 10:22 AM
wileysnake
New User
Bluegrass correct

6 year old post, but bluegrass may have helped resolve an issue with my newly rebuild Lightning.

Hesitation from a vacuum to boost transition.

No EGR however my DPFE and EVR remaine connected eletronically with no vac lines.

If the PCM truly makes adjustments such as advance the timing and lean the ratio even briefly this could definitely be a contributor to my surge during load acceleration.

In my current setup the PCM will think the EGR is always closed.

Will test this week.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:28 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Anytime non stock super charging is to be done, these items have to be addressed.
Obviously a transition from ignition advance to retard or vice versa will be felt when going from intake manifold vacuum to boost.
In the case of EGR, the ignition advances, a no no for super charging.
At the same time the fuel is cut. This will surely cause some hic-cups in drivability.
The boost can open things that should be blocked with a Check valve etc
The whole system must be considered, even the vacuum operated climate control system.
We have done Positive displacement blowers and Centrifugal in both Speed Density and Mass air systems over the last 25 years.
Fuel volume must also be considered and even fuel injector flow size increases, fuel pump flow rates etc. above 5 lbs. boost.
The stock hardware runs out of extra volume capacity designed into the stock operating system.
When the system runs lean there is a possibility of burning holes in piston crowns.
When ignition is to far advanced, pistons/rings break, head gaskets blow, bearings get pounded out etc.
The whole system must be addressed because your doing back yard engineering.

Good luck.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:12 AM
wileysnake
New User
Smile Ford Lightning Vac to boost hesitation DPFE discuss

Ahhhhh...your write-up is oh so beautiful. 11-month Lightning project, so close yet so far from completion. Truck specs below for reference.

My recent issue is battling the transition from vacuum to boost post upgrades. Running lean via timing or tune or mechanical issue has been the recent issue I’m trying to resolve. Hence the reason I was diving into the DPFE device, which does not appear to be a contributor but I have not confirmed this 100% yet.

Last 2 performance tuners being JLP & Addiction Motor Sports using their tunes brings backfire crackles at dangerous levels entering boost.

JLP’s John Wilker or Johnny Lightning (remote tune unfortunately)
Pro’s: Setting the MAF IA to ‘4’ was the only way I was able to get this truck started (after replacing IAC)

Con’s: Vac/Boost regression, 7 mpg (no joke), runs rich, WOT so not an option.

Eddie Addiction motor sports tune:
Pro’s: He’s 15 min from my house and owns a dyno, suppressed the OBD 1000 code

Con’s: Will barely idle at MAF IA setting ‘3’, crackles and regression vac/boost badly, visited shop 4 trips recommending new coils, plugs, now injectors, max speed maybe 30 mph…no joke….

The current and surprising change of events involves the stock setup yesterday:

Following instructions could be the culprit and unable to disprove the ‘fuel injector issue claim’ I removed all tunes and reverted back to the stock tune with MAF IA setting at ‘2’. Unfortunately a quick flip of the TB and the response was very good. Throughout the entire load or powerband the truck accelerates and response very well. I say 'unfortunately' because this does not point the problem 100% mechanical on the truck and to ‘people’ as usual during this project. While I still may have a mechanical issue, the tunes are now suspect.

The stock tune still experiences hesitation from vac to boost, an occasional lean ‘exhaust crackle’ but much less extreme. The lower rpms and aggressive throttle work it will still crackle or ‘mini backfire’. Enough to present engine damage if I was 18 years old again.

· How do I dial this thing in with zero crackle? recommendation from Eddie was at Addiction was new fuel injectors, which makes sense for a lazy tuner. I bought the injectors prior to testing the stock tune transition. Install them?
· Should I discount the the EVR, DPFE devices all together? This was a temporary but successful attempt to eliminate as many errors as possible until truck is confirmed ‘working’. Not concerned with OBD completion 1000 code, irrelevant.

I’m still running on a ‘guessed’ tune and I’m not touching WOT until I have the final issues confirmed. Running lean is a bad day, and rich is expensive in more ways than 1 as you know.

Truck specs:

• 2003 Ford Lightning (Engine miles 1000 since Aug)
  • MAF 3L3A-12B519-BA slotted style
  • MAF IA Diablo 0-9 settings set at ‘2’.
  • EGR removed (no connection for JLP plenum.) emission components electronically connected, no vac lines. (suppress error codes)
  • ECU code: NLP2
  • TF CNC 195 Race heads
  • Cams XE278AH - .550 .550 16D lobe
  • ICON Pistons/SS Rings .025
  • 8:5:1 (Stock)
  • 1 ¾ to 2.5 inch mid pipes w/cats
  • 17” wheel diameter
  • (trans no changes at this time) – hard shift points fine
  • KB 3.2 SC with 3 ¼ upper (2 ¾ ) maybe installed later (7.5 lower)
  • JLP Plenum
  • JLP 168 TB
  • JLP FI intake
  • KB BAP (17 volts full time)
  • DUAL MAL 255 (548/MIN)
  • 80LB FUEL INJECTORS LSX 850CC (Bosch ia850cc on order)
  • MAF IA DIABLO
  • STOCK FUEL RAILS
  • KB BAS (17 volts full time)

Old 09-06-2016, 12:18 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
You have so many changes it's hard to conceptualize what you need to tune this all up into a smooth operating system.
Here is how we go about it.
1. Install wide band Ox sensors in both sides.
2. Do software recordings of limited accelerations to see what is going on with the fuel.
3. Make corrections then re test and correct until the curve is near correct for air/fuel ratios in the 11 to 1 range +\-.
4. Do I under stand the blower is Kenne Bell 3.2?
5. What is the max boost expected. Boost gauge? Boost is the average amount of positive pressure developed in the intake system before any intake valve opens. Then the flow restriction losses in the port and valve subtract from that pressure as pumping losses.
6. Figure the expected HP from the boost level at roughly 15 to 18 HP /lb of boost a normal average for the street.
7. Size the injectors to provide enough fuel to support that max power.
8. Size the fuel delivery for that amount of fuel. Be sure the fuel rails are not a restriction to flow volume.
9. Software table changes that will pulse the injectors for enough fuel.
10. Ignition timing curve so it's not overly aggressive.
These are what has to be dialed in by someone.
The Mass Air meter needs to match the injectors as well for fuel delivery because they work together. Airflow measurement to match fuel requirements at any point in the flow rate.
Note that fast throttle openings normally add more fuel so that table has to be looked at or stumble could occur.
Backfire at high boost is very often to much fuel. It's putting out the spark and burning the fuel in the hot exhaust system that makes the noise.
At idle the injector pulse width needs to be about 5% of total to allow for idle and fuel control when the engine does not need very much fuel.
If not enough (pulse width closed down to far) the air to fuel ratio will not be correct causing idle hunting and roughness. Same for to much fuel.
At wide open, the injectors capacity and pulse width needs to have just a little extra capacity to be sure the motor does not go lean.
At these points, to large or to small injectors cause issues.
Also normally from about 7\8 throttle to wide open, the PCM goes to fixed fuel tables. These need to be worked over to be correct and not over fuel the motor causing the backfire and popping in the exhaust.
There you have it. The whole system needs to be dialed in same as the factory SC systems would be done for sale to the public as a power option.
Good luck.

Forgot to say the boost HP is added onto all the expected increases from cams, head flow improvements, exhaust and any other changes that would tend to improve power.
Then fuel delivery needs to be able to supply the total expected power.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:11 AM
wileysnake
New User
Damn good reply....

Yes Kenne Bell 3.2

Will respond with an update in a few weeks.

Did I say damn good reply?