6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

How's the 6.4l PSD's mileage and acceleration satisfying everyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 10:27 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Originally Posted by origcharger
Dodge has no trouble selling diesel pickups out here in corn country.
I believe a good share of the reason Ford sells so many Powerstrokes is because a large portion of them go in vans and cutaways."

Originally Posted by Enomra
Based on price alone its no wonder, they are cheaper!!!!!

Your statement on Powerstrokes does not hold water. Ford sells more powerstrokes trucks that Dodge and Chevy diesels combined....Ford sells more Diesel trucks than Dodge does in their HD line with any engine.
Based on the inline 6 Cummins diesel alone people buy them.

I don't see how you can say it doesn't hold water. Considering Ford has/had virtually no diesel sales competition from GM and Dodge in the large van and cutaway van market its no wonder they sell so many Powerstrokes, many buyers have no other choice.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Enomra
Elder User
This post was regarding Trucks so my statement was referring to trucks.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:36 AM
DM-03_6.0
Senior User
i think the 6.0 is a blast to drive. you just have to time it better in traffic for the turbo lag. IMO the dodge is rather boring to drive the powerband is so smooth and broad. i like how the ford takes off once the boost comes up

Old 04-24-2007, 01:05 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Enomra
This post was regarding Trucks so my statement was referring to trucks.
I wasn't aware that E-350s or E-450s were not trucks

Where are you getting Powerstroke sales figures that would only apply to your definition of a truck?

Old 04-24-2007, 01:25 PM
Enomra
Elder User
now you know.... Just joking if you use them as a truck then I guess they can be...

Old 04-24-2007, 01:33 PM
jvoigt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by origcharger
I wasn't aware that E-350s or E-450s were not trucks

Where are you getting Powerstroke sales figures that would only apply to your definition of a truck?

I was not aware that a Van is a Truck and a Truck is a Van . So what is the sense of calling a Van a Van if by your definition its actually a truck or vise versa calling a truck a van. I think we are all referring to a "PickupTruck" when we say "truck" but to save words and time it gets shortened down to "Truck" because Pickup just does not cut it anymore. A Van is not a truck.....its a Van and has always been called a van no matter what there used for...."Minivan", "breadvan", "Econoline van" etc.....
If you went to a rental agency and asked for a "truck"....what would they give you? or what if they said they had one "truck" left? would you automatically think its a van? no I think not ....Unless your one of those Van lovers from the '70's but I though they still called them vans.

Last edited by jvoigt; 04-24-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:36 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Well I am quite certain that when Ford advertises how many Powerstroke diesels they sell they include the E-series with the F-series.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:43 PM
jvoigt
Posting Guru
Well when you put it that way than yeah Any vehicle with a "PowerStroke" would count. In my personnel opinion though I dont like going by sales figures cause there are companies out there that get contracts to buy so many vehicles and they are not "usually" buying cause of brand pref, its who ever is the lowest bidder most of the time.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Enomra
Elder User
Reports are in the media and refer to Fseries trucks.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:00 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jvoigt
I was not aware that a Van is a Truck and a Truck is a Van . So what is the sense of calling a Van a Van if by your definition its actually a truck or vise versa calling a truck a van. I think we are all referring to a "PickupTruck" when we say "truck" but to save words and time it gets shortened down to "Truck" because Pickup just does not cut it anymore. A Van is not a truck.....its a Van and has always been called a van no matter what there used for...."Minivan", "breadvan", "Econoline van" etc.....
How about a moving van is that a truck or a van?

"Truck" and "van" are very broad terms, many vans and cutaway vans are technically ............trucks.................even trucks with van bodies are trucks.
I believe this is the diesel forum not the diesel pickup truck forum.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:15 PM
jvoigt
Posting Guru
How about a moving van is that a truck or a van?
Depends on what you mean by "movingvan"?....I have seen Caravans and Windstar's used by moving companies and devilery companies those by definition are still Minivans but are being used by business instead of family's. Ok I will just bring out the Encyclopedia definitions and we can all just stop argueing about vans and trucks.

A truck is a large vehicle usually used for transporting bulk goods or other materials. The word "truck" comes from the Greek "trochos", meaning "wheel". In America, the big wheels of wagons were called trucks. When the gasoline engine-driven trucks came into fashion, these were called "motor trucks" and the Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV)). Lorry is a British term but is only used for the medium and heavy types (see below), i.e. a van, a pickup or a SUV would never be regarded as a "lorry". Other languages have loanwords based on these terms, such as the Malay lori and the Mexican Spanish troca (or pickup in northern Mexico).

In Australia and New Zealand a small vehicle with an open back is called a ute (short for "utility vehicle") and the word "truck" is reserved for larger vehicles.

And a Van,
A van is a kind of vehicle used for transporting goods or groups of people. It is usually a rather box-shaped vehicle on four wheels, about the same width and length as a large automobile, but taller and usually higher off the ground. It can be either specially designed or based on a saloon/sedan car, the latter type often including derivatives with open backs (such as pick-up trucks). There are vans in all shapes and sizes, ranging from the classic van version of the tiny Mini to the five metre long (LWB) variants of the Mercedes Sprinter van. Vehicles larger than this are classified as trucks (or lorries in British English).

In the United States, a van can also refer to a box-shaped trailer or semi-trailer used to carry goods. In this case there is a differentiation between a dry van, used to carry most goods, and a refrigerated van (a reefer) used for cold goods. A railway car used to carry baggage is also called a van.

The term van is also used to refer to a Minivan. However, minivans are usually distinguished by their smaller size (190 to 200 in long), unibody architecture, and front wheel drive powertrains. Minivans have essentially replaced the large family station wagon, many luxury family sedans, and short wheelbased full-size vans that do not require extreme volume, towing, or passengers beyond 7. By comparison with full sized vans, they get good gas mileage, do not require overheight parking, have comfortable flexible seating accommodations such as folding middle or 3rd row seats, lowering windows on passenger doors on left and right side, and power hatch.

However, when it is necessary to tow a large mass, such as a camper, a full size van may be preferred for its larger engine, converted from cargo form to a family vehicle, referred to as a conversion van. A conversion van receives a full interior, extra seats, and comfort options such as air conditioning, indirect lighting, premium sound system, and a video screen system. While a minivan can tow between 2,000 and 4,000 pounds, a full size van can tow in excess of 8,000 pounds, as well as its own weight.

Full size vans are noted for their short nose, which creates a unique engine location. The engine block is located between the two front seats, next to the legs of passengers. An enclosure known as a doghouse covers the engine, and often has an inner padding, as the engine produces a lot of heat.

Ok! End of the "Van vrs Truck" disscusion

"Truck" and "van" are very broad terms, many vans and cutaway vans are technically ............trucks.................even trucks with van bodies are trucks.
I believe this is the diesel forum not the diesel pickup truck forum.
Actually this is the "2008 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel" forum and as of rightnow I have not seen an E-series with a 6.4L in it.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:18 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jvoigt
If you went to a rental agency and asked for a "truck"....what would they give you? or what if they said they had one "truck" left? would you automatically think its a van? no I think not ....Unless your one of those Van lovers from the '70's but I though they still called them vans.
Well if I went to a rental truck agency I would expect to either get a truck with a van body or a cutaway van with a van body, either one licensed as "trucks".

Old 04-24-2007, 02:29 PM
RedRage
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm calling BS on this one. Land Surfer, you are not a truthful person.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Customz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Land Surfer
My 6.0l, not now or ever, would compete off the line with this new Cummins I'm driving. Nor, would the 6.0l over take a stock Duramax off the line. The 6.0l does fine when its RPM's are up and acceleration begins at 40 + mph. I'm not looking for a drag racer but, after driving this new Cummins, it leaves much to be desired from other brands because it does drive exactly like a big block V8 with all the high torque, load carrying benefits of a diesel that gets 18 mpg. I'm not a Dodge fan, they are a low cost solution to pickups but, I am really liking the Cummins and so far the Dodge tranny. Fortunately / unfortunately, purchasing agents decide on what vehicle is best suited for me (not the one who drives it and pulls the trailers with it). They just love my expenses when they start rolling in once I start turning a minimum spec'd 3/4 ton into a 1-ton +. For the load I'm carrying, most on this site told me I actually need an F-450. The price is always double for over the counter upgrades than what they are when spec'd factory. So, you can imagine how much I have to spend to turn a 3/4 ton into a 1 ton+ and have the comfort of a Tahoe (3/4 and 1 ton comfort is not acceptable for long hauls). I spend more in air bags and dampening systems than what most would spend on new offroad tires and rims.
Beat it troll...

Old 04-24-2007, 02:44 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
"Actually this is the "2008 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel" forum and as of rightnow I have not seen an E-series with a 6.4L in it."

Me either.... its also.............................................. ...........................
the "Ford TRUCK Enthuisiasts Forum" and alas there is a van section

Quick Reply: How's the 6.4l PSD's mileage and acceleration satisfying everyone?