Sponsored by:

91 bronco brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2001, 03:36 AM
Runzamuck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 bronco brake problems

Just a thought, but you might try it, you cant use the light test unless you fix it, and you wont be able to find out if some thing else is wrong. I just thought it was the sensor, then it turned out to be both that and the RABS valve. (they have been going bad often,talking with my ford dealer, especially with "our" older Bronco's)

Old 09-16-2001, 12:34 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
91 bronco brake problems

What happens if the RABS valve is bad? Your brakes were locking up, but mine (knock on wood) are not.

Old 09-18-2001, 07:26 PM
Runzamuck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 bronco brake problems

Mine is not "locking up" any more, I can go for about 3 miles and the lights comes on..then you can feel that the brakes are "sticky", kinda draging almost. Its the RABS valve not releasing or something like that i guess. It would be a lot easier to just by pass the whole darn thing, but I think that would lead to other problems..so i only take it on short trip for now.

Old 09-18-2001, 08:53 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
91 bronco brake problems

So you haven't replaced the valve yet? I wondered about bypassing the system too, I wonder if this is possible. anybody ever try this? I don't even like RABS, it makes the front brakes lock up which is worse. I never understood the point of having ABS on two wheels only, especially the back which only get about 5% of the stopping power anyway, and it is loss of steering when the front lock up that seems to me to cause more accidents. I know, I had one because of this on a 95 F-150. I had to hit the brakes in the rain, I was not tailgating or speeding, and not cited for anything, but my fronts locked up and I couldn't steer away from the car that I rear ended. Luckily nobody was hurt, my F-150 was a little dented, but the Camry that I hit was messed up bad. It was a rental so I never got sued!