1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Jag IFS Started

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 07:41 PM
COM49F1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jag IFS Started

Well with a lot of help from Texan2004 I got my hands on an 82 XJ6. HE brought it down to me a weekago friday, boy did he have a long day. Thanks Texan2004, anyway after we unloaded it, I had to let it set because of one thing and another until late this week. Got a good start Wed nite after work started disconnecting the engine to pull it to get to the K member. Thursday was lost to a doctors visit. so Friday I got ansy and left work a little early to get at it. Well I was looking and considering and decieded to just leave the engine alone and ripped the IFS out. blocked the engine up with a 2x4 and now have the ifs sitting under the rails of my 49. Have to clean it up and finish removing the right side motor mount. Then I need to pull the IRS out get the odds and ends and get rid of the hulk. But the game is on, I will be asking for a lot of advice from all the other members that have already done this. I have read everything I can find and have looked at all the posts at least 10 times but I am excited, and can hardley wait to get it done. I have put new pictures in my gallery wanted to attach to here but I am not allowed to yet.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:10 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations! Git 'er done!!!

Old 04-21-2007, 11:16 PM
RUSTY50F1
Posting Guru
I have mine too. That's my next thing on the list as soon as I get the frame cleaned up. Post pics as you go so I can follow along with your progress. This should be fun. I hope. ...........RUSTY

Old 04-21-2007, 11:20 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Great start! Make sure you take lots of photos. It'll make it a lot easier for the next person.

By the way, how long until your neighbors complain to the city/county about you doing major mechanical work in your driveway?

Also, I looked through your gallery when you first found your truck and noticed that there's a Panel in the background. You should have grabbed that Panel too!

Panels rule!

Ilya

Old 04-22-2007, 02:23 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Good progress. Doesn't the Jag IFS fit like it belongs under the 49 chassis! What are your engine plans? I ask since the biggest challenge that I had with the Jag was finding a header/manifold to clear using a SBC. See some of my pix and posts on the subject. My suggestion would be to mock up a steering column/steering shafting and then fit up the engine of choice with headers/manifolds PRIOR to final positioning and welding in of engine mounts.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:53 AM
COM49F1
Junior User
Thanks all. Rusty it will be fun, I will have to get more conscientious about taking pictures, I just get wrapped up in workin on it and forget to get the cammera. I have to get the frame cleaned up also I found some heavy rust on the rear crossmember removing the bed so. The jag came along early in the process but it was to good a deal to pass up so I grabed it and will strip it then get back to the truck. 51PanelMan I hope they just keep their mouths shut but I plan on having it gone in a couple of weeks and no one is selling right now sooooo? The panel you saw was kinda messed up the owner had put it on a 4x4 frame the body was jacked up above the frame and they had grafted a c***y firewall onto it body otherwise wasn't to bad. but as you can see in my gallery I don't have room for anything else. 49Willard it must have been planed for this don't you think? why else would it just roll right into place and fit so well? I plan on a small block like a 302 with either a 5 speed or an auto haven't really firmed up transmission yet but guess I really should. I quess I need to go to u pick it and find a steering column. I have been reading everything I can find and have looked at your gallery extensively I need to rip the steering out of the jag to get the z fitting the one on the end of the column was something else wasnt the z fitting up under the dash? And did you frame mount your engine mounts or did you mount off the jag member ?

Old 04-22-2007, 09:41 AM
lowtrkn2k
Elder User
COM49F1 looks like you've got a good start. I noticed your cab firewall and pass side on the cab looks really clean. What did you do to clean those areas up? It looks really nice and clean.

Good luck on the project...I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:15 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by COM49F1
49Willard it must have been planed for this don't you think? why else would it just roll right into place and fit so well? I plan on a small block like a 302 with either a 5 speed or an auto haven't really firmed up transmission yet but guess I really should. I quess I need to go to u pick it and find a steering column. I have been reading everything I can find and have looked at your gallery extensively I need to rip the steering out of the jag to get the z fitting the one on the end of the column was something else wasnt the z fitting up under the dash? And did you frame mount your engine mounts or did you mount off the jag member ?
I built my own frame mounts because I boxed the front of the frame. If you use the 302, as some of our Australian members have used with the Jag, the log style manifolds fit well. I did not use anything from the steering column from the Jag but I think Holmsey did. Just make sure that you get at least 10 inches of shafting with the Z joint. With the 302 and log style manifolds I think that you will be able to use the Z joint at the rack as setup by Jaguar.
Keep plugging you have great makings and let me know if you have further question.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:17 PM
COM49F1
Junior User
lowtrkn2k the areas you mentioned were wired/sanded and painted with rust bullet. 49willard I will be boxing the frame, thanks for the tip on the jag column I didn't know I needed 10inches with the z joint I don't think the joint on the bottom of the shaft that I disconnected from the steering box was the z joint it was much larger than the one I saw a picture of could it be in the dash area? thats good to know about the log style manifolds. will I have to offset the engine for steering clearance?

Old 04-22-2007, 08:10 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
I do not think that you will have to offset the 302 with the log style manifold (if I did it again with the 350 chxxy i would have offset the engine-would have allowed the use of headers) but I would do a complete mockup with a steering column if at all possible before I finalized the engine mounts. I would hang/block the 302 with manifold in the proposed position and make sure that you have adaquate clearance for the Z joint/connecting shaft. I did have a strong reason to center my engine because I wanted to use a mechanical fan rather than electric.

Last edited by 49willard; 04-22-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:13 PM
RUSTY50F1
Posting Guru
Do you plan on using the IRS from the JAG as well. That's what I plan on doing. ..........RUSTY

Old 04-22-2007, 10:48 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

49willard, have you looked at corvette rams horn manifolds? They differ from standard sedan rams horns. The corvette's have a higher and straighter outlet and look like they'll work, at least from pictures I've seen. They're fairly inexpensive. If all else fails, Sanderson makes a header they claim fits. It's a jag/sbc conversion header and it routes the down pipe between the frame and the steering shaft. Com49, the jag is a natural for our trucks. It took me one weekend to mount the whole thing. You can see the mounts I made in my gallery.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:56 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by rhopper
49willard, have you looked at corvette rams horn manifolds? They differ from standard sedan rams horns. The corvette's have a higher and straighter outlet and look like they'll work, at least from pictures I've seen. They're fairly inexpensive. If all else fails, Sanderson makes a header they claim fits. It's a jag/sbc conversion header and it routes the down pipe between the frame and the steering shaft. Com49, the jag is a natural for our trucks. It took me one weekend to mount the whole thing. You can see the mounts I made in my gallery.
Rusty, I have fitup both straight dump rams horns and angled back rams horns (I had sets of both). Both of mine were 2". Are all of the corvette rams horns 2 1/2 inch? The 2 1/2 " look like the exit sits furthur away from the block (toward the frame rail) but I question if it is enough to be able to go between the Z joint and the frame rail. I would be very interested if it does. The sanderson headers were a little more $ than I wanted to spend. I would be very interested in what you fitup and your comments.
I need to add a few pix to my gallery since my "final" solution is the curved rams horns with the Z joint positioned at the steering column end and a conventional borgeson (less bulky) at the steering rack end.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:34 PM
COM49F1
Junior User
Rusty yes my next project is to remove the IRS from the jag and all the little things I can think off (brake porportioning valve) mastercyclinder? etc. Rhopper I saw your site a while back and had forgot where it was super glad you jumped in here cause I will be asking some questions from everyone for sure. Like where is the center line for the axle, I didn't have one when I got the truck I know it's 114 inches from the rear axle, is there a good reference point on the front frame for location of either the rear of front mount poinst of the jag setup?

Old 04-23-2007, 06:34 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

I measured the wheelbase from the rear axle to locate the front. Make sure the truck can't move, then use a plumb bob and a framing square to mark the rear axle center line on the floor, then measure the 114" from there. Draw a line on the floor all the way across the frame where the axle should be. Using a ball point pen on a strip of duct tape means you won't sweep away your line. Finding the axle center of the jag is more difficult. My suggestion is to find and mark the center before you place it under the truck, when access is easier. Make your marks on each side of the subframe, then use your plumb bob or square to align it with the line on the floor. Don't be tempted to just square it from the spindle center, which is easy. The spindle center moves fore and aft when you turn the wheel, making precise location difficult, especially if someone bumps something. (Don't ask.)

Quick Reply: Jag IFS Started