What to do with an '81 Bronco?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 10:20 PM
jstcrzyengh
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Im new to this board and I have a 1981 Bronco "ranger" edition. Not too sure if that means anything. It has the 351, and from what I have seen 81 was the 302? Anyway...

What I want to know is what is available for me to do to my bronco? The engine is about shot making very loud clicking sounds almost like it was a diesel engine. I thought it was valve stickage, but... Nothing works to fix that. It's time for an engine swap. Waht's available without going to big block? I was almost thinking of going to a new 5.4 and than building that engine out with headers, etc... I am looking to put some power under the hood. I can get new ford parts way cheaper than any dealer charges so new stuff is even better for me. Also what rear end, transmission, suspension mods are available. It is currently a 3 speed auto, wouldl ike to move up to a 4 spd auto. I also need a lift kit and would love to put a soft top on the back of my bronco like the blazers have... I know it's alot to ask here, especially being new and all, but basically if you could build the perfect 81 what would you do? I want daily driver capability, with some major power under the hood (350+) as I will also be towing my 3500lb boat sometimes. Im putting in a new custom interior and paint. Time to do the under now :-) Oh by the way it's also 4x4 (and uits harder than hell to get it in and out of gear)

Thanks everyone,

James
Robbins1129(No Email Addresses In Posts!)

Old 11-20-2001, 02:06 PM
93bigbronco
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts