Sponsored by:

question for 1990-ish Bronco owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 09:19 AM
daumer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 90 XLT, and have a question for anyone with a similar model. In my engine compartment, on the firewall passenger side there is a ground terminal - it's just off to the right of where the hood hinges mount. There are two ground leads that come off this terminal, both look like factory wires (not stupid-previous-owner-addons). Neither of these ground wires connect to anything on my Bronco - they just hang out (previous owner had neatly tucked them behind the heater hoses out of sight). Could somebody take a look at their Bronco, and tell me what these leads are supposed to connect to?

There is also a short wire (looks like another ground wire) connected to the frame just behind the front passenger wheel well - mine just hangs down loose - what is this supposed to connect to?

Thanks in advance!

Daumer
1990 Bronco XLT (302)

Old 02-11-2002, 06:51 PM
jdgreen
Senior User

I've got an '88 which should be the same. I know there should be one lead running to the hood. I'll take a look tomorrow and see about the other one.

John Green

Old 02-12-2002, 07:27 PM
AlM
Posting Guru

Daumer,
This won't help you much, but I tried.
I have a 96, the firewall ground term. (pass. side) has a single lead (heavy gauge)that goes to the eng block/exh manifold...the e4od dipstick tube's mount also bolts to this point.

the other pass side ground is between the batty and the jack, up high on the fender (on a level w/the solenoid);
it has one lead (heavy gauge)to the batty neg term and
two smaller leads: (black-wht) to the headlights/running lights etc)...and one to the PCM (saw this in the Haynes Manual)

BTW, the Haynes schematics clearly show the eng grounds for our 96, but NOT for your year.

Old 02-12-2002, 09:56 PM
daumer
New User

Thanks guys! That gives me a few leads to check out, at least.

Hmmm...if one of them is supposed to be my engine ground, that might explain some of my recent troubles. I'll have to look into that one tomorrow.

Daumer

Old 02-12-2002, 10:25 PM
Bull
Senior User