6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0's with FS-2500 Bypass oil filter system

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 03:30 PM
southbound35west
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 6.0's with FS-2500 Bypass oil filter system

• How many of you out there are using a fs-2500 system on your 6.0 ? are you satisfied with the fs-2500?
  • How often are you changing your oil with this system?
  • Are your oil analysis reports looking better since you installed the system?
  • Are there any negative effects to this system?..............
  • Filtration Solutions sent me a very impressive information packet with dvd's on this system, i am considering getting one of these for my 2006, i would like to get some feedback from 6.0 owners that use this system before i purchase one of these.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:04 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by southbound35west
  • How many of you out there are using a fs-2500 system on your 6.0 ? are you satisfied with the fs-2500?
I've had one since I hadd 2500 miles. I think it's working, but I'm not super impressed with it. I'm impressed with the quality of it, but my oil is still black as night. Not like they show in the ads.

• How often are you changing your oil with this system?
I still change at 5000, but mostly because of my mods and how I drive her. I think most will still recommend changing at 5K because the 6.0L is VERY picky about good, clean oil.

• Are your oil analysis reports looking better since you installed the system?
Not too different really.

• Are there any negative effects to this system?
Mounts underneath to the frame and could be hung on something if you ever drive off road. Possibly could even have a rock thrown up and hit it hard enough to pop a hose off.

• Filtration Solutions sent me a very impressive information packet with dvd's on this system, i am considering getting one of these for my 2006, i would like to get some feedback from 6.0 owners that use this system before i purchase one of these.
I was also very impressed.

I've read about several others that were equally impressed with the Oil Guard By-Pass system as well.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:52 PM
southbound35west
Elder User
thanks for the info , anyone else out there have any comments on this system?

Old 04-02-2007, 11:45 PM
forrestpt
New User
I am also interested in this and hope more people will chime in with their experiences

Old 04-03-2007, 05:17 AM
VT365
Freshman User
i was going to get FS2500 but i got AMSoil system instead

Old 04-03-2007, 07:24 AM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
ANY by-pass system will be an improvement for your truck. There are several, already mentioned, kits on the market that will perform the task quite well. I personnaly choose the Oil Guard system and have been very happy with the ease of installation and quality of the equipment.
Sort through all the hype and decide what is best for you, any kit you choose will be better than not using a by-pass kit.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:26 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
I have visted their offices here in the Metro KC area. Impressive, but I like the Oil Guard system or Racor system better.

The Oil Guard and Racor both connect to the Oil filter cap and oil-fill tube via new caps. The FS system is not as simple (unless they have modifed it since).

Racor and Oil Guard do not promote "honey color oil"... but clean oil filtered to 1 or 2 microns. The FS system does and in reality... it isn't... just slick marketing to get your attention - that concerns me - but as long as you know that... then fine.

The FS system was also designed for hydrolic systems... hence the reason for being a little heavier of a set-up... but Racor and Oil Guard systems were made for oil and I like that... as this is the application I use one for (I use Racor's system as they are the OEM filter and filter housing supplier to Ford and Int'l.

Mileage.... change your oil every 5,000 miles due to shearing (low viscosity)... it maybe clean oil... but it has still lost its viscosity!!!!

Old 04-03-2007, 08:25 AM
southbound35west
Elder User
beach u may be right about, just slick marketing to get your attention , but the fs people r modifying it to be installed with aluminum caps like the racor system, maybe i will check out the oil guard system also, how much r the replacement filters for it? how often do u change them?

Old 04-03-2007, 08:41 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
beach u may be right about, just slick marketing to get your attention , but the fs people r modifying it to be installed with aluminum caps like the racor system, maybe i will check out the oil guard system also, how much r the replacement filters for it? how often do u change them?
The replacement by-pass filters are something like $20.00 (not sure - Racor sent me a free one at first when I spoke to my contact there).

As a test, I changed my oil and installed the by-pass filter 5,000 miles ago. I then ran it (same oil and brand) for the same mileage as always (within 19 miles of each other). I then drained it and sent a sample off to Blackstone. I also changed out the by-pass filter as I wanted to see what it looked like and what I thought of the system. According to Racor, the by-pass filter should be changed every 10,000 miles or so (every other oil change for me).

My blackstone reports came back very good.

Below is the link to a thread I started a while back and in post #144 is my first report with the by-pass filter installed.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...eality-10.html

My insoluables were always around .3 to .4 and with the filter (first analysis) they dropped to .1. In my gallery is an Excel spreadsheet of all my reports and averages... and the .1 value is the lowest I have ever had!!!

The Racor system is hard to find and sold by their distributors. The Oil Guard system uses the same Racor filter... so in therory it should provide the same protection and benefits... and they have a good website of info and there seems to be a lot of their systems in use... so I would think it is reliable!!!

Hope this helps.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:07 AM
pstrang
Senior User
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
The replacement by-pass filters are something like $20.00 (not sure - Racor sent me a free one at first when I spoke to my contact there).
You should also investigate the Frantz Oil Filter. www.wefilterit.com The replacement filters are 100x cheaper because it's industrial wrapped TP. It filters superior to all others; 1/10 micron. After a few thousand miles, my oil still has the honey-colored look. It eventually goes black, but by then it's time to change the oil anyway. I'm very impressed with the build quality and it's tons cheaper. And using 4.5" of pure cellulose to filter is quite superior to the others.

Just like you shouldn't believe the marketing hype from FS. Don't believe the lies and half-truths for the anti-marketing campaigns against the Frantz. Before I even knew about the Frantz, I read the anti-marketing page against it. I just laughed at how silly the OilGuard anti-campaign was; so full of lies. How embarrassing for them. That made me want to investigate it. I was sold.

Include the Frantz on your list of research. I'm very, very satisfied with it on mine.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by pstrang
You should also investigate the Frantz Oil Filter. www.wefilterit.com The replacement filters are 100x cheaper because it's industrial wrapped TP. It filters superior to all others; 1/10 micron. After a few thousand miles, my oil still has the honey-colored look. It eventually goes black, but by then it's time to change the oil anyway. I'm very impressed with the build quality and it's tons cheaper. And using 4.5" of pure cellulose to filter is quite superior to the others.

Just like you shouldn't believe the marketing hype from FS. Don't believe the lies and half-truths for the anti-marketing campaigns against the Frantz. Before I even knew about the Frantz, I read the anti-marketing page against it. I just laughed at how silly the OilGuard anti-campaign was; so full of lies. How embarrassing for them. That made me want to investigate it. I was sold.

Include the Frantz on your list of research. I'm very, very satisfied with it on mine.
That's great... but not for me.

I will believe the 1/2 truths for now.

For me I do not like them for the following:

1) TP was never designed as an oil filter - sure it works but it has purfumes and other wood fibers in it - inconsistent accross brands.

2) TP rolls can have different "wound rates" so some are at one tension and others are looser (speed rolled and can vary).

3) TP rols must be cut down or paper taken off of them to properly fit into the filter housing. Too much or too little can and will cause pressure or filtering issues.

Your right... there are choices... and I will stick with filters that were designed with fluid dynamics in mind (and will promote such when asked - as I was)... but hey, too each his own.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:30 AM
pstrang
Senior User
Yea, those would be problems. But again, the Frantz calls out the tightly wrapped industrial single ply TP; no purfume or wood fibers. Turns out that's the cheapest too. BTW, don't put anything you find in a grocery store on the unit. I get mine from the janitorial service at my work; free. Works great!

Old 04-03-2007, 11:13 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
May I assume that by adding a bypass filtering system to your engine, your oil sample reports should be "better" no matter what the filter, or even if you leave the filter out, by virtue of the increased volume of oil.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by origcharger
May I assume that by adding a bypass filtering system to your engine, your oil sample reports should be "better" no matter what the filter, or even if you leave the filter out, by virtue of the increased volume of oil.
Good question...

In the thread/link above (where I reference my Blackstone report) I raised the same question (go to post #1).

No one could consistently show me where there before and after oil reports showed a decrease in soot and insoluables. I for one, still believe that for many... just changing one's oil and filter (OEM/Racor filter that is) every 5,000 miles is the way to go.

Through my research and calls to Racor, I started to get to know them and I share with their "oil guru" guy my Blacstone oil reports. They sent me a Racor by-pass oil filter in order to prove or disprove their effectiveness. After one report, my insoluables went from an average of .3 to .4 down to .1. Nots sure what the next report will show or not, but after the same amount of mileage (more idling actually due to being in service from December 28, 2006 to March 22, 2007... I was impressed with my oil analysis reports.

I do not endorse or advise running extended oil drains in the 6.0L PSD motor due to oil shearing (lower viscosity). Clean or not, it is low viscosity (shears down to a 30 weight from a 40 weight).

An oil's job is to suspend the soot and insoluables and allow them to clump into a size that the full-flow filter can "catch". The by-pass filter filters to a lower micron level and "catches" this soot and insoluables while they are still very small... and never allowed to get "too large". Even if one's insoluables reading remained the same, the "particle count" would be less with the use of a by-pass oil filter.

Oil Guard's website is very good ay explaining how their filters (made by Racor) perform versus the TP roll filters out there... therer are others showing the same "loading effect".... but I do not have their sites available as I do not care.

For me to spend $20 or so every 10,000 miles for a new by-pass filter is no big deal for me... so I will do it when I get there on mileage.

My gallery has pics of the by-pass filter set-up installed on my truck and pics of how the filter works.

The second part of your question about more oil capacity.... well that is true and more is better than less, but over time all your oil will become dirty and sheared down... so yes, the capacity is increased by 1 to 1.5 qts, but in the end... not that big of a deal.

Hope this helps,

Old 04-03-2007, 12:41 PM
pstrang
Senior User
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
Oil Guard's website is very good ay explaining how their filters (made by Racor) perform versus the TP roll filters out there...
This is the part where I was surprised a professional organization would stoop to levels of lying and misinformation to promote their own product. Of course their own product costs more than 2x and filters 10x worse. That's just sad and very unprofessional.

Don't belive marketing hype, reasearch all products and talk to folks who actually use them. Some are quick to discredit a Frantz. However, they've never had one, never used one, and are basing their *opinion* on misinformation and deception (not actual usage).

The Frantz has been on the market for around 40 years! It's a mature and well-designed product. And nothing on the market currently filters better than 4.5" of cellulose. I can't speak to other TP-type filters, but I'm very satisfied with the mature design and build quality of the Frantz.

Quick Reply: 6.0's with FS-2500 Bypass oil filter system