6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New 6.4 psd

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 06:48 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you look at ANY new model rollout. There will be a .5-3% record of some type of failure/complaint. I think Ford is on the LOW end of the stats. Which is perfectly acceptable in todays complicated automotive manufacturing.

With what the EPA has the New Diesels dealing with, I think ALL the big 3 should be commended. This is all new technology. It's sure going a lot smoother than the first phase of the EPA's mandates, back in the 70's.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:04 PM
fortex
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jarepackard
This post came from a first time poster. Always interesting when the very first post someone does is a problem. Perhaps a troll?

Time will tell, but I will add to the others, I absolutely love my 6.4. Great power, awesome torque, great fit/finish.... Best truck Ford has ever made and this 6.4 is more and more impressive everytime I drive it.
That is correect time will tell, just don't be so naive, dont belive what big boys will tell you.\
here is why I bought my 2003.
Ford Super Duty trucks look good. Their real beauty lies in their capabilities, however.
New and revised powertrains make Ford's heavy-duty pickups more capable and, therefore, more attractive. The new 6.0-liter turbo-diesel is drawing rave reviews and is available with a new five-speed automatic.

Auto media said:
For 2003, Ford decided to spend some of its F-Series profits on the very vehicle that helped make the cash. The major change comes in the form of a new Power Stroke diesel engine built by International. As the builder of excellent heavy duty trucks, International also manufactures some of the best diesel engines on the road today including the current 7.3-liter V-8 Power Stroke diesel used in Ford Super Duty pickups since 1994.

This new purpose-built V-8 diesel engine displaces 6.0-liters and was first shown in the Ford F-350 Tonka concept truck earlier this year. It puts out 325 horsepower at 3,300 rpm and 560 lb.-ft. of torque at 2,000 rpm, which compares quite favorably with the 250 horsepower and 525 lb.-ft. of torque for the current 7.3-liter diesel engine. The overhead valve design features 32 valves, a cast-iron block and cylinder heads, and a common-rail fuel injection system. Technological advancements abound including an electronically variable turbocharger whose vanes automatically adjust to optimize the airflow within the turbo. This helps deliver the proper amount of boost to match driving conditions, while increasing power output and fuel economy.

Ford says even though the new engine gives up 1.3-liters of displacement, it offers 10 percent better fuel economy, 20 percent lower emissions, and is 20 percent quieter than the 7.3. The 6.0 diesel is just what Ford needs to claim best-in-class bragging rights against Dodge's new 5.9-liter diesel (305-horsepower, 555 lb.-ft. torque) and GM's two-year old 6.6-liter diesel (300-horsepower, 520 lb.-ft.).
JD powers said:
The new 6.0-liter Power Stroke replaces the 7.3-liter Power Stroke which itself represented significant progress when it was introduced. Like the Duramax and latest Cummins, the new Power Stroke adopts four-valve cylinder heads for improved respiration and more complete combustion. But it's not just new combustion chambers over the same old short block.

Everything about the latest Power Stroke is new, including the cast iron block, the iron heads, the advanced variable-vane single turbo, the high-pressure direct fuel injection system and the super-duper-powerful drivetrain control computer. That conglomeration results in a 6.0-liter V-8 that pumps out 325 horsepower at a rev-happy (for a diesel) 3300 rpm and a vast 560 pound-feet of torque at 2000 rpm. It's power that comes with elegance, grace and speed that hasn't been seen before in a truck diesel.

The new Power Stroke's output sets a new standard for light truck diesels. It edges out the 305 horsepower and 555 pound-feet of the Dodge Ram's new High Output Cummins that only a few months ago surpassed the standard set by the GM Duramax. The Cummins does have a slight advantage over the Power Stroke in that its power and torque peaks lower, maxing out on horsepower at 2900 rpm and grunting out its peak torque at just 1400 rpm. So there may be a few drivers whose style works best with the Dodge. However, the High Output Cummins isn't available with an automatic transmission (the lower output Cummins is available with a four-speed automatic), and the Power Stroke comes with either a six-speed manual or a brilliant new five-speed automatic.

This is way I spend my hard earned money on this truck, all I'm suggesting is slowly let all the bugs be worked out of your future truck and you wont be on the same boat as some of us, just been honest and keeping some of you from making the same mistake, that's all.

Happy easter to all.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:17 PM
kimminau2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WTF? what is the point here?

Originally Posted by fortex
That is correect time will tell, just don't be so naive, dont belive what big boys will tell you.\
here is why I bought my 2003.
Ford Super Duty trucks look good. Their real beauty lies in their capabilities, however.
New and revised powertrains make Ford's heavy-duty pickups more capable and, therefore, more attractive. The new 6.0-liter turbo-diesel is drawing rave reviews and is available with a new five-speed automatic.

Auto media said:
For 2003, Ford decided to spend some of its F-Series profits on the very vehicle that helped make the cash. The major change comes in the form of a new Power Stroke diesel engine built by International. As the builder of excellent heavy duty trucks, International also manufactures some of the best diesel engines on the road today including the current 7.3-liter V-8 Power Stroke diesel used in Ford Super Duty pickups since 1994.

This new purpose-built V-8 diesel engine displaces 6.0-liters and was first shown in the Ford F-350 Tonka concept truck earlier this year. It puts out 325 horsepower at 3,300 rpm and 560 lb.-ft. of torque at 2,000 rpm, which compares quite favorably with the 250 horsepower and 525 lb.-ft. of torque for the current 7.3-liter diesel engine. The overhead valve design features 32 valves, a cast-iron block and cylinder heads, and a common-rail fuel injection system. Technological advancements abound including an electronically variable turbocharger whose vanes automatically adjust to optimize the airflow within the turbo. This helps deliver the proper amount of boost to match driving conditions, while increasing power output and fuel economy.

Ford says even though the new engine gives up 1.3-liters of displacement, it offers 10 percent better fuel economy, 20 percent lower emissions, and is 20 percent quieter than the 7.3. The 6.0 diesel is just what Ford needs to claim best-in-class bragging rights against Dodge's new 5.9-liter diesel (305-horsepower, 555 lb.-ft. torque) and GM's two-year old 6.6-liter diesel (300-horsepower, 520 lb.-ft.).
JD powers said:
The new 6.0-liter Power Stroke replaces the 7.3-liter Power Stroke which itself represented significant progress when it was introduced. Like the Duramax and latest Cummins, the new Power Stroke adopts four-valve cylinder heads for improved respiration and more complete combustion. But it's not just new combustion chambers over the same old short block.

Everything about the latest Power Stroke is new, including the cast iron block, the iron heads, the advanced variable-vane single turbo, the high-pressure direct fuel injection system and the super-duper-powerful drivetrain control computer. That conglomeration results in a 6.0-liter V-8 that pumps out 325 horsepower at a rev-happy (for a diesel) 3300 rpm and a vast 560 pound-feet of torque at 2000 rpm. It's power that comes with elegance, grace and speed that hasn't been seen before in a truck diesel.

The new Power Stroke's output sets a new standard for light truck diesels. It edges out the 305 horsepower and 555 pound-feet of the Dodge Ram's new High Output Cummins that only a few months ago surpassed the standard set by the GM Duramax. The Cummins does have a slight advantage over the Power Stroke in that its power and torque peaks lower, maxing out on horsepower at 2900 rpm and grunting out its peak torque at just 1400 rpm. So there may be a few drivers whose style works best with the Dodge. However, the High Output Cummins isn't available with an automatic transmission (the lower output Cummins is available with a four-speed automatic), and the Power Stroke comes with either a six-speed manual or a brilliant new five-speed automatic.

This is way I spend my hard earned money on this truck, all I'm suggesting is slowly let all the bugs be worked out of your future truck and you wont be on the same boat as some of us, just been honest and keeping some of you from making the same mistake, that's all.

Happy easter to all.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Bobmarlin
Senior User
Gee I wonder why Ford even has a diesel if the V-10 is such a wonderful motor and able to handle anything a diesel can? Truth be told a diesel ANY diesel is a better motor for pulling anything anywhere. Look around at all the commercial trucks running around and tell me how many are gassers? None of them is the correct answer. The torque made by a diesel and that made by a gasser are apples and oranges. Torque is the key my friend and I do not care what anybody tries to say to the contrary. They are lying or trying to justify their decision which is fine as everybody loves their own trucks and I totally understand this fact.

Gas vs. diesel is not even a contest and when you put some real weight behind that V-10 it is going to pull it well but do not try blow smoke up my backside and tell me that they are just as capable because that is a lie, a bald faced lie. Diesel is cheaper than gas AND they get better fuel economy so I personally would never go back to gas but that is just me. You asked for opinions and as we all know they are like b-holes. Everybody has one and they all stink. Use your head not a bunch of retards (myself included) in some internet chatroom for info when making these decisions. Get that 6.4 and go pull something......

I will put my firesuit on now and wait for V-10 and 5.4 liter boy to light my backside on fire (haha)

Old 04-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Strut61
Senior User
If I'm understanding the post, it is referencing Ford to be singing the praises of the 6.0 and stating how this motor was tested and how it will be the best thing since sliced bread......Then comparing that to the current 6.4

The "Once bitten twice shy" method of thinking. This long post was, I think, merely intended to suggest to those shopping for a 6.4, to let it ride a year and see how it shakes out?

I can understand the logic and apprehention, especially if ya had a 6.0 problem child.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:38 PM
firehawk198
Elder User
All I know is I really really like my new 450 and glad I made the move

Old 04-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Strut61
Senior User
I hear ya brother! I really like mine as well........

My choice was simple, I'd Not own an Cheby, Dodge or anyother MDT truck configuration. Ford is the only truck made as far as I'm concerned, however I would NOT own a truck with the 6.0.............6.4 was the only option. I have to trust the International got it right, I think on Ford's end the truck is awesome.....the rest is pretty much up to International.

So far so good..................

Old 04-08-2007, 10:33 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Strut61

Ford is the only truck made as far as I'm concerned, however I would NOT own a truck with the 6.0.............6.4 was the only option. I have to trust the International got it right, I think on Ford's end the truck is awesome.....the rest is pretty much up to International.
When I look at our 7.3/T444E International buses and see components with Ford part numbers on them it makes me think that Ford has their "fingers" in these Powerstroke diesels a bit more than you seem to give them credit for.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:32 AM
jvoigt
Posting Guru
How much % of the 6.4L is made by Ford?..........Strut1 made a good point, Ford got everything else right on the new 2008's and now its up to International to show us the quality of there new desgin.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:06 PM
RVrs R US
Freshman User
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by fortex
This came from another Web page.
So there are problems, nobody is making up nothing.

Had the new toy for almost 2 weeks!!! Bought it after having one of those fine 6.0 F350 that spent as much time in the dealership as it did on the road. Walked out of the house this morning and there was a 6 inch puddle of oil leaking from the back of the engine. Took it to the dealership and they couldn't find the leak. Looks like it is coming from the top of the engine they said. I have a trailer to pull otherwise they could have kept the truck.
Any ideas? I have to have it back at the dealership in a week when I'm back in town.

I've always been a serious Ford fan. But after the 6.0 debacle and now this i"m thinking I should have went with the Dodge. I'd buy 12 Clydesdales to pull my trailer before I would ever buy a chevy.

Thanks

Brian
This guy identified his truck on the other forum as a "2008 6.8 F450"! Since he hasn't been back after his initial post, nobody has a clue what engine he was talkin' about.

Dave

Old 04-09-2007, 01:28 PM
RVrs R US
Freshman User
Originally Posted by RVrs R US
This guy identified his truck on the other forum as a "2008 6.8 F450"! Since he hasn't been back after his initial post, nobody has a clue what engine he was talkin' about.

Dave
So, you want to entice someone to come back and post again, make a statement like I did and they magically appear. Anyway, he declared he was legitimate and wasn't a troll.

I seem to recall that there were a couple of oil seal leaks in the early 6.4L production units that were resolved on site. We'll just have to wait and see what his dealer reports back.

Dave

Old 04-09-2007, 03:10 PM
jvoigt
Posting Guru
I thought he was talking about the new Tundra.....hmmm.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:40 PM
fordguy24
Freshman User
This truck rocks good luck with your v-10 , man some guys are very naive , dont belive everything you read on the internet , I own 3 6.4's and have no problems in a combined 15,000 miles.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Strut61
Senior User
Not sure it's naivety or being overly cautious to the point where someone will look for any flaw to magnify and justify not buying. Being safe and able to say I told you so, if something does go wrong and fade away if it goes well....................

Ok, your free to go grasshopper, when you can ****** these stones from my hand.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:09 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jvoigt
How much % of the 6.4L is made by Ford?..........Strut1 made a good point, Ford got everything else right on the new 2008's and now its up to International to show us the quality of there new desgin.

How about the engine electronics, wiring harnesses and programming, anything made, speced by or sourced through Ford? The 7.3 and 6.0 certainly had their share.
How about the dual turbo air intake system and its actuation and control? That seems to be a Ford exclusive as International doesn't use it on their trucks.

Quick Reply: New 6.4 psd