Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
More POWER

Old 11-14-2002, 06:38 PM
F150Driver
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More POWER

I have a '97 F150 extended cab 4x4. What can I do engine-wise to increase hp/torque without spending more than $1000? Also, when I bought the truck (used), it had fake dual exhaust with angled-cut chrome tips. I loved the sound and the look, but unfortunately, they rusted out and I replaced it with a stock pipe because of $$ at the time. Would it be fine to do the same again, or should I invest in something like dual Flowmasters?

Old 11-14-2002, 07:19 PM
geoaigel
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More POWER

As far as I can tell, a chip is the best way to make more power for the money. What holds me back from chipping it is the fact that you have to go to higher octane gas for good. That is a running cost that can add up if you put a lot of miles. Actually, I think your truck you can buy a reprogram kit, so there is no hardware installation. That is a big plus. I would not want to fiddle with real chips.

The dual exhaust is a nice idea but since you have a catback exhaust system, meaning up to the single cat you have to keep things stock, it won't do much with respect to flow and power, at least in my uneducated opinion. If you change exhaust, a single catback system from Gibson seems like a very nice idea. Go on a web search to find out about the system. It is easy to install yourself. It has mandrel bent tubes, bolts in the stock locations and can be had stainless, so if you are in a rusty climate, it is good for life!

I learned about the Gibson system myself on the 4.2/5.4 forum recently. I will do the exhaust as a first performance mod on the wife's truck. Here is the thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/dcforum/DCForumID14/133.html

I think the air intake systems are not doing much for you either. No big bang for the buck for sure. The numbers you can pick up there are marginal.

Hope this helps. No practical advice of things that I have done myself, just digestion of things that I picked up along the line, so take them with a large grain of salt!

Cheers, George