Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you like a tech article on how to re-wire your factory harness to MAF?
Yes, I would
95.02%
No thanks
0.77%
I duno, I might...
4.21%
Voters: 522. You may not vote on this poll

SD to MAF Conversion - Write up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 07:43 AM
presidentsdad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jarod17
No problem about reviving this thread. I am still working on gathering parts. Some will have to be custom made as well.
Thanks...can you take a look at my other questions??? I'd appreciate it.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:05 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think I can speak for us all when I say we can't wait for a full comprehensive write up on how to do a MAF conversion!!!

Old 09-30-2010, 11:58 AM
93_flareside
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check this out...

Backyard MAF Conversion

Of course, you have to take into consideration we have trucks.
-The computer pinning is different as well, Ford Fuel Injection.
-If you have the E4OD, you need a pcm to control that, check Ford Fuel Injection EEC Program Codes.
Not all of the wiring is quite the same, too.... But, if you are taking this on, you should be able to take that info and apply it to your truck. (I hope)

Hope this helps!!!

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-20-2010, 02:27 PM
wantaford
Tuned
Any one interested?

I was poking around the junk yard and came across a '97 F-350 utility truck with a factory mass air flow system. It has a 460 engine with an automatic trans. It looks complete with the ECU, Air Filter Box, MAF, air intake ducting, and wiring harness. Should I pull it for someone - whats it worth? Send me PM if interested.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:16 PM
MariosF250
Junior User
Originally Posted by wantaford
I was poking around the junk yard and came across a '97 F-350 utility truck with a factory mass air flow system. It has a 460 engine with an automatic trans. It looks complete with the ECU, Air Filter Box, MAF, air intake ducting, and wiring harness. Should I pull it for someone - whats it worth? Send me PM if interested.

You should pull it and try to mark down; what connection came from what sensor. A full MAF conversion for a 460 is about 1400 bux w/ all the goodies needed to make it work. HERE----> IST Products

i for one am looking a for a 96-97 460 MAF conversion on the cheaper side..

Mario

Old 11-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Deerediesel
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Heck yes pull it out. those are hard to find. I have a kit I pieced together from IST and some other sources but i havent put it on my truck. They sent me a pretty good diagram of the wiring and pin outs with Numbers and colors of wires, but there are still a few wires I am confused about, such as the O2 sensor wires and the speedo wire. Looking at a diagram is one thing but being able to see it on a vehicle would really simplify things. I have found a few pics on here before someone posted, but have never actually seen a MAF 460 truck. I think they are kind of like the 7.5 EFI Kenne Bell blower I've been looking for forever........far and few between.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:03 AM
wantaford
Tuned
If its not raining, I will go tomorrow afternoon. Hope it is still all there. I have factory MAF on my truck. Love it!

One thing I noticed is this truck has a smog pump. Mine is a '96 and I don't have a smog pump. Maybe that last year they had to put them on for the nutso California emissions standards - duno?

Old 11-22-2010, 01:09 AM
bruegge
Freshman User
Did this ever get written? I've looked around and don't see a good junkyard kit... Looking to do this soon. Assuming I do and it runs I would be happy to post.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Deerediesel
Senior User
I'm jealous. I wish my truck was factory maf. I have a FEZ3 pcm with my kit. How does your pcm respond to tuning/chip?

Old 11-23-2010, 12:30 AM
wantaford
Tuned
I was out at the junk yard today - starting grabbing parts. I got the easy stuff first, it gets dark faster these days. I got the Air Filter Box, MAF, Air Intake Ducting. My question to those interested in a conversion like this. How extensive and complete would you want the system to be. How much would you be willing to solder together part of this harness to your existing harness? This is a 10K-14K GVW Truck, it is an XL model.

The MAF trucks use Crank sensors which means you also need the plastic timing chain cover to mount it to (not sure if the 49 state trucks have the same timing cover) as well as the harmonic balancer with the pickup ring. Would you want just the harness from the ECM to the relay box and from there to the engine (Fuel Injectors, sensors, ignition module, 02 sensors, MAF), or do you want the complete harness that wraps around the front of the rad core support over to the battery and the starter solenoid on to the fenderwell. Also would you want the upper intake plenum, with the EGR pressure sensor (different than position sensor) and the EGR valve with the connecting steel vent tube down to the drivers side exhaust manifold. Do you need all the smog equipment such as the air pump, tubes, etc? How much of all this does one really need to convert to MAF if they already have a federal 460 truck.

I have labeled all the plugs and connections thus far. I am just limited on time, and available tools out in the yard. Let me know how complete you would want it.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:05 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
I guess if it were me I would want a complete list of parts and tools needed and a complete write up on what parts to scavange from what trucks. A "how to" on building the new wiring harness and where to solder it in at (ie what wires/what wire colors). Basically a complete how to on turning stock SD to MAF.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:07 AM
wantaford
Tuned
Originally Posted by nstueve
I guess if it were me I would want a complete list of parts and tools needed and a complete write up on what parts to scavange from what trucks. A "how to" on building the new wiring harness and where to solder it in at (ie what wires/what wire colors). Basically a complete how to on turning stock SD to MAF.
Good point. I will do a full write and up and provide photos. I am not going to include the actual sensors and the ECM as the yard is a rip off on those items and if it were me doing this swap I would want all brand new parts anyway to eliminate as much problems and troubleshooting as possible. I will provide the ECM part number, VIN number and calibration number to faciliate in any future parts look up.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:13 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
If at all possible, I would add the differences between the 460 and 351w... I know there are a large group of us with 87-94 SD 302's and 351w's that would love a good write up... maybe eventually I will get around to doing one for my 351w... kinda doubt it will be any time soon though... Take a ton of pics! you might even want to consider doing a SD to MAF blog... that way you can post all the information at once and edit it without having other random comments in the middle... Like on this forum... Just remember we LOVE pics...take lots!

Old 11-23-2010, 01:18 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
Originally Posted by wantaford
Good point. I will do a full write and up and provide photos. I am not going to include the actual sensors and the ECM as the yard is a rip off on those items and if it were me doing this swap I would want all brand new parts anyway to eliminate as much problems and troubleshooting as possible. I will provide the ECM part number, VIN number and calibration number to faciliate in any future parts look up.

PS sweet truck! i am looking for a F-250 PSD SRW 5spd 4x4 shrot bed right now... I know they are few and far between but one can only hope...

Old 12-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Deerediesel
Senior User
You know the 104 pin OBDII ECM's in the MAF 460 w/E4OD are specific to them and just as hard to find as the rest of the kit. That was the 1st thing I found to start mine, paid an outrageous $400 for it to. I'm not implying that there arent other ways around this as I'm sure already know there are plenty of after market options to run the set up. Sometimes I wish mine was 5 spd., I couldve simply used one from a mustang. How is your parts pulling going with the junk yard truck? I just got my ported/polished F3TE heads back, I'm wanting to install them and the MAF kit at the same time. One of the things I'm still not sure about on the MAF 460 kit is the speedo sensor/ reluctor.....from I understand they had a speedo sensor on the back of the transmission/transfer case besides the VSS on the rear axle?? When I got my harness from IST in Ga it came with A good diagram of the factory wire pin out #'s and colors as well. I could prob copy and fax/email it to you if it would help. The only other thing I need ot complete the kit is to mak ea Y adapter for the intake. I got a totally enclosed Banks ram air kit (goes in the kit for '87-'93 7.3 IDI diesels) and a hypermax cowl induction (also for the 6.9 and 7.3 IDI) to go in front of that......cant ever have enough cool air.

Quick Reply: SD to MAF Conversion - Write up?