vege oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 02:11 AM
FN74
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since I am sponsoring this thread, guess i should put a plug in for my own Company, DFA. Also known as Vegistroke. Go ahead and do a Google on it and see what you come up with. We offer a two tank conversion that was designed specifically for the PSD and offers unmatched reliability, ease of use, cleanliness and customer service. NO proper WVO system should use the OEM fuel filter or pump. That is a primer for problems down the road. And if one thing goes wrong, or you get a bad batch of Oil that plugs up your stock filter, you are sitting alongside the road. The stock PSD pump can not handle the duty of pumping WVO very long. It will die. I started doing this on my own as a hobyy before it was ever a concept of being a business and I have crossed many of these bridges in trying to make myself a good reliable system that my wife can use and is fully automated. Anyhow, at least give my site a good looking over.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:30 AM
tdister
Posting Guru
Not to question your kit, just wondering what you think of mine...

Mine has the heated fuel tank and heated (separate) filter, but uses the stock injector pump. Are you saying you add another injection pump for the P'strokes, or do they have a secondary electric pump (I'm not very familiar with the PSD) and yours uses another one?

I'm not even 100% sure on my Rabbit. I didn't install 95% of the kit, just finished it when I bought the car.

I don't expect you to know all about about VW diesels here, thanks for anything you can offer.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:49 AM
firemediceric
Senior User
Originally Posted by FN74
Since I am sponsoring this thread, guess i should put a plug in for my own Company, DFA. Also known as Vegistroke. Go ahead and do a Google on it and see what you come up with.
Although it's not the way I chose to go, I don't think you can find anything said anywhere that is negative about the FN74 system. He is one of the few guys in the game not looking to just make a quick buck off of this veg oil fad.

If you are going to make the commitment to a two tank system, I would suggest you give the FN74 serious consideration.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by firemediceric
Although it's not the way I chose to go, I don't think you can find anything said anywhere that is negative about the FN74 system. He is one of the few guys in the game not looking to just make a quick buck off of this veg oil fad.

If you are going to make the commitment to a two tank system, I would suggest you give the FN74 serious consideration.
I second this.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:50 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
tdister's brought up some questions that either (A) I hadn't though of asking yet or (B) haven't gotten around to asking. I understand the concept of filtering the oil before it's put in the secound tank...and it's got to be thinned by some method (heat or chemical). But where I start to scratch my noggin is where do the two systems merge? You only got one set of injectors, and reason stands that your only going to use one fuel rail; unless Ford started to use a different fuel system. I'm sure I'm behind on the current 6.4 and recent 6.0 motors; at one time I had tinkered around a '99 model 7.3...but that has been 3-4 years ago. I used to work for a Caterpillar dealership so all my knowledge (or lack there of) comes from running yellow motors. I'd like to learn some more about vegistroke kits...from what I've read they seem to be more tailored to the Blue Oval Breed.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:47 AM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had the wonderful opportunity to be an idiot and run wvo and wmo prefiltered and without the correct equipment. I then had the wonderful opportunity to break down with clogged filters. My next wonderful event was to replace a fuel pump that just didnt work quite right. And my final step was to replace said injectors because of the amount of crap on them.

My advice, buy the correct equipment for wvo
or make biodiesel. Half-a@@ed will kick yours. Pics of my injectors will be up in a few days.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:58 AM
davE350
Senior User
Originally Posted by firemediceric
Waste Veg Oil with 20% Kerosene and 5% Gasoline along with a dose of Diesel Kleen Power Service and a couple ounces of Xylol and Naptha per 40 Gallons. For me, it gets the viscosity right, I don't deal with the chemicals required for Bio-Diesel and I don't have to do mods on the truck or car to run it.
How long have you been running this blend for? Any problems? How is it in extreme cold & hot temps?

Old 03-27-2007, 09:54 AM
firemediceric
Senior User
I've been running it in my 1999 F-350 for a year now almost problem free. The single problem I did have was the tank screens becoming partially obstructed. I believe this was from when I first got started and did not filter my blend as well as I do now. I did not even realize there was an issue until I put a vacuum guage on the fuel pump and it showed some restriction. There were no drivability issues and I did not even have a clogged fuel filter. As I said, I now filter my WVO much better than I did in the begining, yet I NEVER had an issue with a clogged fuel filter. I have also since done the Hutch mod and removed those screens in the fuel tank.

I bought the Mercedes in July of '06 and I have not had a single problem with it. The MPG on the Mercedes is so much better than on the big truck, so I put a lot of miles on the car commuting to my job in the next county. I have yet to even clog a fuel filter on it.

As far as temps, living in Florida helps my cause. It seldom gets into the 40s here, and the summers can be brutal, which is good for filtering as well as running the WVO blend.

I'll close with this: A lot of the negatives that you read about when you see WVO compared to BD come from comparisons made with STRAIGHT WVO. I believe that as soon as you start talking about a BLEND of WVO, a lot of the arguments about cold starts, shut down, etc. go out the window. This is due to the viscosity being so much lower in a blend than in straight, cold WVO

Old 03-27-2007, 01:24 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
One word of advice on Diesel Secret.

Its a very expensive gamble. You risk $10000 how long will it take you to recover it using DSE.

WVO wont stay mixed with Kerosene.
DSE does not do anything to change the properties of WVO or Kerosene so they still wont stay mixed.

It is your truck.

I won't take the risk.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:15 PM
firemediceric
Senior User
I would not advise anyone to pay out money to DSE. DSE is capitalizing on people's ignorance.

That being said, blends work well for a lot of people. I have samples of blends that are about a year old still sitting in jars on my work bench. These samples have been in the refridgerator overnight and in ambient temps the rest of the time. They have yet to seperate.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:36 PM
davE350
Senior User
That being said, blends work well for a lot of people. I have samples of blends that are about a year old still sitting in jars on my work bench. These samples have been in the refridgerator overnight and in ambient temps the rest of the time. They have yet to seperate.[/QUOTE]

How did you come across that blend? How big of a batch do you make at a time?

Old 03-28-2007, 09:06 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
I have 170K miles on my truck.
I intend to get another 200K from it.
I seriously doubt I would be able to do that running blends.
When you get over 100K on a blend I'll talk to you about it until then trust in blends is zilch

Old 03-28-2007, 09:18 AM
firemediceric
Senior User
I came across my current blend through A LOT of reading and talking to people that have been doing it for quite a while.

I generally blend from 40 to 55 gallons of fuel at a time and have 100 or so additional gallons of WVO in the process of filtering/settling.

I don't have as much room as I would like, so my set up consists of three 55 gallon drums, a 2'x3' piece of plywood that has my filters mounted on it and the pump I use to move the oil.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:02 PM
dwags15
New User
I would just like to say to those so negative on vege oil, what did Rudolf Diesel run in the first diesel engine he built. For those who don't know Rudolf invented the diesel engine. The answer is peanut oil. good luck

Old 03-28-2007, 10:12 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dwags, the use of peanut oil was in pure form. It didnt have any fried food product in it or fats. You could also say that olive oil would be a close canidate for gas addative or a diesel addative. Its not that we are negative, its that there has been no extended study that has proven that veggie will extend the life of the engine. As far as the supporter of this forum has a system that switches between dino and flower. That system seems to be effective and he is testing it as well as Leskwvo. I personally have 511,000 plus miles and have run both waste veggie and waste motor oil. My injectors are on the garage floor now.

Quick Reply: vege oil